View Single Post

Old 09-06-2002, 04:19 PM

There were at least 2 well documented 4door Hemi Coronets built for individuals in 1966. Here is an excerpt from a post I made in another topic about them:

"I had a chance to pick up one of those 1966 4door Hemi Coronets. There were 2 1966 4door Hemi Coronets here in Wichita. One (the red one) had been here all its life; the other (white) migrated in later on and was purchased from the owner's estate by an acquaintance of mine. The red one was ordered by Pappy Cline (legendary local-area tuner) new back in 1965/66 and after he died it just sat. One of my brother's friends was the widow's step-grandson and wanted her to keep it for him so he kept telling everybody that it wasn't for sale, so big-dummy me honored that. We were going to help him get it going and keep it going because she lived literally around the corner from us. Someone had stolen it and hurt the Hemi real bad but EVERYTHING was there, just in pieces. About that time the "MuscleCars" magazine ran an article about a couple of rumored-to-exist 4 door Hemi cars but had run into dead-ends trying to locate them. This was back in 1987 or so. I contacted them and let them know they were both here. They called me back and asked if I could document them and if they were real then they would send Tony DeFeo out to do a spread on them. The owner of the white one is a very knowledgeable MoPar man, so I called him up and he was ready to help. We got a photographer and put together so much documentation about both cars that they ran the article from what we had sent them. It was in the very first edition of the MoPar Muscle. Anyway, it turns out that the widow (owner of the red one) had been trying to unload the thing and my brother's friend kept foiling her. Had I been more predatory I could have picked up the red one pretty cheap (3-5k) BEFORE the article. AFTER the article she was approached and sold it in pieces for 12k. The white one sold also for a little more than that around that time. I think they both ended up in the Garlits museum for a while, maybe still. Oh well, it was still fun to have been able to contribute to the magazine article even if I missed out on a deal like that red car, and my conscience is clean (about that anyway!)."

The red one owned by Pappy Cline would show up at the drags with slicks and him driving. It ran 13.10's at 111 mph with 3.23 cogs!