View Single Post

Old 11-08-2002, 05:20 PM
Inactive User

Thanks loyal T.Q.'ers!!! I'm ALLWAYS eager to help other Mopar enthusiasts with T.Q. questions/tuning issues.

I debated for a long time about disclosing my secret weapon, the
"well-prepped" T.Q. and after much thought and consideration, I am glad that I chose to help others. I am much more eager to help someone if I have the answers than I would be if I kept my
knowledge to myself and besides, I DO like helping others if I can.

I used to build Holleys for locals and myself, but over the years, I
wanted to set a new course for myself as well as find a "new" challenge and I found both in the T.Q. After all, I have found that
the T.Q. has a versatility that is unmatched by many other carbs.
I have had a dual four setup with 2 AFB'S on a 383 and a 440 and liked both alot. I have rebuilt Edelbrock Performers as well and Federal Mogul AFB'S and AVS carbs. The point is I DO like
other brands too, but I like the charateristics of a carb(T.Q.) that can be modified so easily and show so much improvement in performance vs having to buy so much additional parts to "dial it in"(which is a good thing, but expensive at times) and the carb might only work well on that specific engine that it was set up for.

For example, an 800 or 850 cfm T.Q. will run very well on a stock
single exhaust 318 where as other brands of 800 or 850 cfm carbs would never work on the 318. The same T.Q.'s would work well on a 340, 383 or 440 engine; again the versatility of the basic design. The main idle circuitry and the hi-speed circuitry are 2 of the main reasons why this is possible while the 3rd reason is
the 2ndary air doors ability to complete 2 functions:
1)the air door vertical travel under a load will increase or decrease the richness of the 2ndary jetting;
2)the air door tension will taylor the launch of the vehicle from a standstill or during WOT.

I do not know of any other carb that has such a "sophistocated"
metering system. The fact that the T.Q. can be used in three performance levels(stock, street/strip and full race)is testament to how good the carb is, DAVID.