Thread: mopar w8 motor
View Single Post

Old 11-13-2003, 09:17 PM
Inactive User

eric, to adapt a set of W8 or W9 heads to a 59 degree block requires major machinework into the intake runner for pushrod clearance. The roller lifters should also be offset intake. The rest of the fabrication is no problem-valley cover, intake spacers, water manifolds, etc. My concern is the strength of the block itself. I wouldn't any standard block and would only trust an early "X" block to about 675HP. If you want more than that-by all means go to the "R" with 48 degree lifter bores.

What HP will the W8s produce? Depends on the $$$. Our 358", oval track engine produces 746HP, on gas, single four barrel, moderate compression-13.5 to 1. More carb, camshaft, will probably yield 770HP. Those heads flow 360CFM. Our 408" has better heads, slightly more cam, etc. Don't know what the HP is-probably 780. The heads on the larger engine flow 370CFM.

What does it cost? Don't know current pricing, Chapman probably gets $3200 for the heads(guides/seats, etc.), matching intake is about $800, valves(2.20"/1.650") are about $1200, econo Jesel rockers are about $1200-better rockers are about $1800. The sheet metal valley cover is easily made. I think Arrington still would do the work as well. There are probably others.

How far can you go? World of Outlaws engine(408") produce about 850HP, injected on methanol.