View Single Post

Old 03-24-2005, 01:37 PM

Default Gas Mileage Tips here!!

Greetings! With the rising gas prices going on now, and after several discussions, it looks like we need a good thread on mpg and how to get it!
I'll throw in a few basic tips to get started, and the first one is MAINTENANCE!!
I know, pretty obvious. But, back when I used to bracket race fairly often, I noticed that my cars would pick up some gas mileage , that is, when I didnt have my throttle foot stuck to the floor!!
You pick up a mpg here and a mpg there, and next thing you know you're talking some big savings!
A few things I would always check that you wouldnt necessarily think about concerning mpg are:
1. Wheel Bearings: Be sure they have fresh grease and aren't loose due to age and neglect. That would be fronts on RWD and rears on FWD. Besides increased rolling friction due to neglect, if loose enough the rotors can lean over and actually contact the brake pads slightly!
Definetly worth your time to have these maintained and properly adjusted, especially if not done in awhile.
2: Brakes: Similar situation as the wheel bearings, they can cause problems when neglected. Biggest thing is making sure your wheels spin free once the brakes are released. Possible causes for a sticking brake can include, stuck emergency brake cable or mechanism, adjustments set too tight, stuck or sticker brake caliper or wheel cylinder, blocked or defective brake hose, or blocked or kinked metal brake line. There are others, but these are the basics.
3: U-joints: It's a pain to get to but keeping these greased can have benefits, IF you have greaseable u-joints. On RWD all the power that goes to the wheels has to pass thru these points, so making sure they are in good shape can and lubed properly can remove a lil resistance from the drivetrain and may keep you from walking sometime.
Ok, that's just a few basic tips, all suggestions are appreciated.
It's gettin scary at those pumps, folks!!!