View Single Post

Old 11-28-2007, 09:29 PM
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobr View Post
"When you and I were kids(not sure how old you are or where you grew up?) our parents instilled a work ethic in us that I think still stands today... you want something you have to work for it."

I'm 51 and grew up in a working class family in Alhambra, Ca. I rode a cobbled up skateboard because my parents couldn't afford to buy me a bike. I know what it's like to have nothing. I even had to miss my senior year of varsity football because I had to work. My working during my senior year of HS not only cost me a possible college athletic scholarship it caused my grades to suffer as well. My GPA went from 3.65 average my sophmore and junior years to a 3.25 finish. I want better for my kids. I told my son early on that if he kept his grades up in H.S. and college he would not have to work. So far he has done that. He is in his second year on a partial academic scholarship at Detroit College of Creative Studies-a world renowned art studies institution. Besides paying the balance of his tuition I also bought him a brand new Jeep Liberty 4X4 to make sure he is able to get to school. Is he spoiled? Probably but as his parent I see it as my job to make his learning years as productive as possible. I don't want to have him in the same position as I was in. He is a little clueless on what it takes to make it but right now I am O.K. with that. You kiss your kids because you want them to kiss theirs. I hope that's how it turns out. What's the topic again? -Bob

I know we got so far off the topic I had to look beforeending my last post...lmao

I want the world for my kid and all kids... Kids should have something to look forward to.