View Single Post

Old 01-29-2009, 03:44 PM

Biggrin

My sleeper was a 1955 Studebaker Champion coupe that I yanked the I-6 out of and stuffed in a 345 CI Olds Rocket V8 with three deuces and a "3/4" cam. (you young guys probably aren't familiar with that term.)

It also had a '37 Cad-Lasalle side shift that we pulled out of an old Caddy we found in a field in southern Indiana. A Fenton shifter topped that off. A '57 Studebaker Hawk third member was necessary to keep from splattering spider gears all over the street. The exhaust pipes and mufflers came out of a junked Plymouth State Police Car.

I built the car over the summer period between my first and second year of college. It was a butt ugly brute that had lots of neat stuff in it that made it go fast. I used to go 'Vette hunting at stoplights. I was never beaten on the street, but never took it to the strip because it would never pass any kind of safety inspection. Bailing wire, rope, tape and a buddy who didn't mind pushing it off the road when it crapped out were absolutely necessary.

I had a good time with that car, but got tired of fixing it. I finally sold it to some doofus who let it sit out all winter without anti-freeze. The motor was junk.