Thread: Rebuild help.
View Single Post

Old 04-11-2009, 03:24 PM
Inactive User

Default Rebuild help.

OK, heres the deal: I have never done this before and want help. I want to get into car restoration as a hobby, and need some help getting there. I know of a car i would like to fix up, but there are obviously some problems with it or i wouldnt be here. Basically, my uncle has a 1974 gold duster s/6 parked behind a barn on my grandfathers property. It has been there since about 1995, sitting. My uncle knows engines really well and says that it will start, despite its current state, but even if it does, to be a well restored car it needs to be nice, and that rusted engine under the hood has to be full of sludge and debris, even if it does start. So i figure i should take it apart and completely clean and rebuild it, ground up. Now im not going for a custom restoration, this wont be a dragster. I am going for a stock restoration, i figure stock would be easier since i basically have a list of what i have to accomplish, that list being what it looked like when it rolled of the line in '74. Custom would mean i would have to plan all sorts of stuff out to supe it up, which wouldnt be a good idea since i need help just rebuilding it. So, if my uncle can give me that car for a fair price, and i do believe after further inspection (such as pulling it and seeing from other angles as well as hearing it if possible) that it is better to rebuild it instead of sell and buy a new one, my questions are these: Is there anything i should know before starting, any good guides i might want to take a look out before or during the process, what all parts should i replace, and things i should keep an eye out for during the rebuild? Also on a side note, does anyone know exactly how rare a 74 gold duster is, and what they may be worth if restored well? Not to say im in this for money, its always seemed like a fun hobby to have that i want to get started in, im just curious as to what im working with and what may be at the end of this tunnel.