Thread: Rebuild help.
View Single Post

Old 04-12-2009, 05:47 AM
Inactive User

You're starting right, you're asking questions.

Plan out what you want to do, get the shop manual for the car, and READ all the forums and web sites you can on the car. Then decide if what you had planned is what you really wanted to do.

A restoration can get VERY involved, and cost more than a lightly modified car. If you insist on NOS parts, numbers matching everything, correct finishes, etc, you may never get the car done, and even when you do, you may not want to drive it because it is too clean and too correct to drive, there goes your fun. Or you may Take it so far into the modified area that it is unpleasant or even unsafe to drive on the road because of the performance and handling.

I can't say how rare the Gold Dusters are, I don't know what options were on them, but it seems they weren't all that common. As to worth, that's something that's going to be different once the car is done. In most cases, don't restore a car with the idea of getting a profit on it. Most people don't make a profit, the profit is made by the people who do the work on the car, or the parts provider.

Restore (or restify) the car because you like it, and you enjoy messing with it, and look forward to driving it.

I hope I don't come off as sanctimonious, I'm definatley not someone who knows it all, but I wanted to toss my two cents in and hopefully give you something to think about, and let you know you're not being ignored.

And if you start on it, You can be sure, someone here or somewhere will be willing to help you with anything we know, just jump in till you're over your head, then yell for help. Most of all, enjoy it!