View Single Post

Old 09-06-2009, 08:20 PM

I was a year out of high school, but the guy I bought my old black68 Roadrunner from was still in school. We knew each other from the band and he had the Roadrunner up for sale. It was a 383 4-speed and he couldn't even it to turn the tires with repop winter treads on the back. I said I just wanted a work car and got it for $400 dollars. I took it home, swapped out the stock distributor with loose bushings and stock weights with an Accell dual point, new plugs, oil and caught up the maintenance. The trunk was still rotten but it ran sharp! I went and looked him up and took him for a ride. I said, "does it sound better", He said, " a little, is it still a dog". We were cruising out of town so I stopped, hopped off the clutch and mashed it and broiled those winter treads while the rear end went from side to side each time I got a gear. He was white eyed, grabbing the dash and the door handle as it fishtailed. I asked him, "whaddya think, is it still a dog?"
He said, "uhhh. no, take me home, it runs good enough" I said, "this is just going to be my work car, my orange 70 has a 440, want to take a ride in that one?"
He declined.... One thing I miss from the 70s is all the used musclecars in the paper and backyards in the neighborhood....