View Single Post

Old 05-24-2012, 06:24 PM
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by vince23 View Post
i dont have the money to have the engine machined i called a couple places and they all were around 2500 to have it done. but i might be throughing a 383 in it im not sure

I really don't know what to say to this.

It sounded like you fixed everything that was wrong with your slant and then discovered sticky valves on #6, now you are saying that the engine needs machined (??) for 2500 bucks, now you might swap to a 383? Do you have any idea what that entails?

I would try this hillbilly fix.

Take the rocker shaft off, spark plug out, stuff soft rope into cylinder through spark plug hole, make sure you leave some rope hanging out so you can remove it later, rotate engine by hand with a wrench on the crankshaft bolt until it won't turn anymore, using a valve spring compressor compress one valve spring and remove the keepers then lift the spring off.

When you have the spring off, remove the valve seal then connect a drill to the valve stem, remove rope from the cylinder, apply lot's of penetrating oil to the valve stem while rotating with the drill using an up and down motion until the valve moves freely, remove drill, stuff rope back into cylinder, install seal, spring and keepers, repeat with the other valve, install rocker shaft.

ADJUST ALL VALVES!

Replace rocker cover and whatever else was removed and drive.

I hope that I explained this clearly enough and that it helps you.

Yes it is a hillbilly fix and it will work. Good luck.