View Single Post

Old 06-19-2012, 08:11 AM
Inactive User

vince 23, Still having timing problems? For a Stage one street engine manual suggests 30 degrees TOTAL timing. this means all mechanical advance due to the springs in the distributor, vacuum advance and initial timing of distributor. I do not know about the construction of your engine but all things considered try this. Loosen dist. bolt enough to let you move it but not enough for it to move itself while engine is running. Start and set idle up to about 1000RPM. Let warm up, foot on brake Drop all the way to low gear. Hopefully it stays running so you can continue. If not we have to backtrack. If it stays running, keep your foot on the brake and bring RPM up and listen for "pinging" which means that timing is too far advanced. If you can get to about 1/2 throttle with no pinging put it back in park and advance distributor "a Little" repeat test in gear. Repeat this test and keep advancing till you hear pinging under throttle. When you do hear pinging you have advanced about 2-4 degrees too far. Back timing off till you don't hear pinging at throttle in gear. While you are performing these tests, keep an eye on your temp guage as standing on throttle in gear while standing on brakes will greatly increase trans oil temp.Once you have done above, stop engine, wait 30 seconds and hit key. If engine goes ro-ro-ro before starting timing is still too far advanced. Retard distributor a little at a time till you don't have ro-ro-ro hesitation when engine fires. This will show you where the actual engine timing is. Check at normal idle speed w/ vacuum advance disconnected and plugged. If you can get to this point, I would be willing to bet the timing light will show you somewhere between 7-12 degrees. If not you have a combination of problems with components out of time in the engine or distributor. I know it sounds complicated but it really isn't. Just takes patience and time but it will answer many Questions. Won't cost you anything but gas. Watch your temp guage! You can stop anytime and let it cool before you continue. Most Mopars will hesitate to start if they are real hot. Thanx, Glenn.