View Single Post

Old 07-27-2012, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwjetco View Post
just bought a 70 Callenger drag car.
First: Congrats on the purchase. I too would be excited on potential. A 70 Challenger is a real looker. Im assuming too much work to make it some what streetable? An 11 second 500 horse Challenger can get you in some trouble on the street, but I would want to show it off.

Assuming it's life is that on the track I agree with Slingshot. I would look to stroke the shortblock. A 4.15" crank. Matched with the Ross flat top 99524 piston and stock length 6.768" rod (Blocked bored .040 over to 4.360) would get you to a 496. With a set of Edelbrock Victor heads 75 cc you should be at about 10.8:1 compression. (depending on how much the block was shaved to square up and head gasket thinkness.) If you insist on pump 92 gas you can use a thicker cometic gasket (.058 range) should get you to about 10.5:1. With the aluminum heads should be able to handle 92 octane. Add a Victor 440 intake and your Demon 850

Now, how badass the 496 can be would, as Dart said, definantly depended on the head porting/flow and cam profile. I also agree the cam profile should be selected last. I would have Comp Cams custom grind a solid roller when bottom end and head numbers are known. Along with vehicle weight, suspention, tire, rear gear, trans + converter stall (4000+) and application. (Drag Race only) A custom grind is not that much more expensive and better targets your build. Then Smith brothers can make your pushrods when cam/lifter type, valve spring strength and rod length are known.

Well as you can see I sometimes yack too much. But this is simular to a build I'm considering for a 383 to my Road Runner (432 ci) all of this of course is just my opinion. There are many other paths to 700 hp. Which I believe is about the max for a 727 trans unless REALLY beefed up. It is a little spendy but I believe money is evil and what better way to get rid of it!

Oh, and welcome to the site! I have had a lot of good advise from the good folks here at MoparChat.