Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 09-16-2006, 10:55 PM
Inactive User

Smile What I did this Weekend. 09-(16–17)-06 +pictures

Saturday 09-16-06

Today on the Duster, we installed the pilot bearing (From NAPA made in USA, high quality) in my 408 that requires this 2001+ Magnum 360 bearing. We then installed the flywheel, clutch assy, and bell housing. (TIP: McLeod has dual threads in the pressure plate mounting hoses, SB Chrysler are the ones deep in the hole)

I donÂ’t like to think about what may happen to my made-in-Korea clutch behind the 408Â…

We also installed the polyurethane engine mounts from Energy Susp. HereÂ’s some installation tips since the instructions are crap.
1. Bend the tabs strait up and grind them down a little to make them fit correctly
2. WD40Â…
3. The original two engine mount bolts will not fit in the new sleeve, grind down the tabs on the bolts, grind the bolts a little (not ends or threads, around the tab) and rat-tail the sleeves themselves.
4. Rubber mallet...

[IMG]http://www.hemineko.net/images/forums/IMG_1622sm.jpg[/
Old 09-17-2006, 07:08 AM
Moparchat Bronze member

Quote:
3. The original two engine mount bolts will not fit in the new sleeve, grind down the tabs on the bolts, grind the bolts a little (not ends or threads, around the tab) and rat-tail the sleeves themselves.
Can you explain this futher? Got pic?
Otherwise, looking good.
Old 09-17-2006, 06:47 PM
Inactive User

Dont run that starter, do yourself a favor and get a newer magnum style starter, ohh eee, I got a sick feeling in my stomach when I saw it on your motor, I hate those starters with a passion.I think I am traumatized by those damn things, weird, huh. I used to work in a starter/alternator repair shop from when I was 12 thru 16 years old. I hate em', I hate em', I hate em'. I get the heeby geebeez every time I see one. LOL
Old 09-17-2006, 07:33 PM
Inactive User

Lookin good Dust, I bet you cant wait to get it in the car and pound some pavement!
Old 09-17-2006, 09:18 PM
Inactive User

Smile

Sunday 09-17-06

We got the engine in! … And the four-speed.

That’s it though, got them in and secured them. The game was on at 1:00 today so we had to cut the workday short. Still, I’m very happy to finally get the engine back in ^_^

Couple of tips:
*Milodon 8qt 360 oil pan*: you’ll want to notch the k-member in a certain area if you install the engine with the bell housing on. I’ll post pictures if anybody is interested. Now that I have the engine in, it looks like I will have to notch, the k-member anyway as it is very close to the pan.
*Transmission mount*: Do not buy one from Kregan, made in India to low spec…

(stuck)

Old 09-17-2006, 09:19 PM
Inactive User

Looks great Dust,Glad you got it going preaty good for a change ,hopefully no more bad luck ehh? That starter might give you problems with a set of headers,not sure though,i went to a junk yard and pulled a small one off a magnum truck. because the big one like yours gave me clearance problems with my headers.
Old 09-17-2006, 09:21 PM
Inactive User

Had to do the same think to my K member Dust,think i took about 3/8 to a half inch out with a grinder,fun fun.
Old 09-17-2006, 09:25 PM
Inactive User

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumblefish360
Can you explain this futher? Got pic?
Otherwise, looking good.

Old 09-17-2006, 09:28 PM
Inactive User

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by cageman
Dont run that starter, do yourself a favor and get a newer magnum style starter, ohh eee, I got a sick feeling in my stomach when I saw it on your motor, I hate those starters with a passion.I think I am traumatized by those damn things, weird, huh. I used to work in a starter/alternator repair shop from when I was 12 thru 16 years old. I hate em', I hate em', I hate em'. I get the heeby geebeez every time I see one. LOL
I. Fucking. Hate. That. Starter.

But I thought that was the smaller one since the original was larger? I'm sure you and Ace know better, I'll get a Magnum starter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ace26
Had to do the same think to my K member Dust,think i took about 3/8 to a half inch out with a grinder,fun fun.
Thanks, I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one with this issue, I plan on using a cut off wheel on my die grinder to cut a little piece off since the engine is already in place and I'm not sure if I can get a grinding stone in there.

Bad luck is still there but too common to mention. ^_^
Old 09-17-2006, 09:31 PM
Inactive User

I'm using ellchepo headers 96$ from summit but looks like you have what are those TTI's? if so they prolly want give you any problems,you'll find out soon enough though
Old 09-17-2006, 11:04 PM
Inactive User

loookin good dust i like those mounts ,i used those starters in the past with no problems because i made a heat sheild to cover it but it is a tight fit ,frame problems suck but your write a cutter grinder will fix anything btw thats my favorit tool .gets me out of allot of james .
Old 09-17-2006, 11:25 PM
Inactive User

Dust, I have the Milodon pan on my 340, I only had to notch the pass side of the k-member for clearance, however, I recently was helping my buddy with his 360 in his 71 Demon, we have to notch both sides of his k-member. I'm wondering if his may be a /6 k that has been modded with schumaker mounts maybe? From your photos, it looks like yours only needs clearancing on the pass side like mine. I am in agreement with everyone else, especially Cageman, (I hate em too) swap out that starter for the small one, you'll be glad you did.
Old 09-18-2006, 09:26 AM
Moparchat Bronze member

Thanks Dust. I see what you mean. WOW! comes to mind.
What did they charge you for them?

Being that everybody is looking at this thread, and Dust is about to get a starter (?) I also have a problem that will bennifit Dust and myself if we could get an answer to.

The MoPar mini starter or similar is the starter being suggested here. My starter, a stock unit, just went south in my Duster. Are there any clearance issues with the mini starter on the small block and Hooker street headers?
Cable length OK?
Any cave eats we should be aware of before we dive in?
Old 09-18-2006, 10:33 PM
Inactive User

Cool

Rumble, I dont know about the hookers but with TTI headers I thought it prudent to at least put some of the reflective heat wrap on the starter wires. Hopefully you wont have an issue but I cant say....anyone out there got the mini with some hookers installed?
Old 09-19-2006, 08:43 AM
Inactive User

I had hookers on my duster with a stock unit and had a friend let me mock up a mini. I decided to use the stock unit since I had 2. I really wished that I would have sucked up the $$$ and went a head and put the mini on it to begin with. Cuz when the stock went out I had to disassemble half the cussin car to get it off and still didin't do the smart thing and I put another stock unit back on. I got rid of the car before the other one went out. It will be all that I use from now on.
Old 09-20-2006, 12:24 AM

That 1st orange motor picture looks like a cartoon! Cool! Its just how it came out on the digi, I like that monochrome look. I got loads of pics of my 451 install, maybe for a future webpage, good stuff!
Old 09-22-2006, 01:47 AM
Inactive User

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by pishta
That 1st orange motor picture looks like a cartoon! Cool! Its just how it came out on the digi, I like that monochrome look. I got loads of pics of my 451 install, maybe for a future webpage, good stuff!
Cartoon?

I think you need a new monitor...
Old 09-22-2006, 05:17 PM

Cartoon might have been a little strong. But something rendered with Pro-E software. It just looked too GOOD to be a actual picture. Nice paint.
Old 09-23-2006, 11:41 PM
Inactive User

Smile

Quote:
Thanks Dust. I see what you mean. WOW! comes to mind.
What did they charge you for them?
'them'? The motor mounts, right?

I'm going to take a look at a new starter at work when I get a chance. I've been busy all week with a new job and three tests in school so I have not had a chance to research any thing about starters. 'will keep you posted, maybe I'll take my starter to work for a comparison picture...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pishta
Cartoon might have been a little strong. But something rendered with Pro-E software. It just looked too GOOD to be a actual picture. Nice paint.
Haha, Thanks! Too bad I scractched the hell out of the pan during install.
Old 09-23-2006, 11:59 PM
Banned

ehhh

Agree on the starter, I throw them as far as I can.........LOL

(About ten feet with that heavy turkey!)

With the big starter, you will darn near have to take that motor back out to fit the headers.

Other than that, AWSOME! We all want a ride.
Old 09-24-2006, 08:54 AM
Moparchat Bronze member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dust
'them'? The motor mounts, right?
Yep. Let me know how they ride.
Old 09-24-2006, 10:06 AM
Inactive User

WOW that nice,,,thanks for the anniversary present,I can hardly wait until it gets here,,,speedfreak.
Old 09-24-2006, 08:38 PM
Inactive User

Smile

Quote:
Yep. Let me know how they ride.
I got 'em from Summit, 32$ pr with inserts. I'm done with S.O.M., my main parts suppliers are Summit and my work. I'll keep ya posted on on how they ride.

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku
Old 09-24-2006, 08:40 PM
Inactive User

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgetruckboy
ehhh

Agree on the starter, I throw them as far as I can.........LOL
Sounds like me and Thermoquad's. (But don't tell DWC)