Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 09-19-2006, 08:16 PM
Inactive User

Default carb float question??

I have had a rough idle problem since replacing my carb. Everything is set but I am unsure of the proper float level. So, today I cracked open the carb and found that fuel was all the way to the top of the floats! The floats still floating but the fuel level was almost a quarter inch from the top of the carb. Condition is car runs good until warming up and then starts to surge and idle rough. It didn't do this with the previous carb, ignition system is solid and carb is pulling 19 psi and has a very slight stumble of line but otherwise runs awesome. Motor is a 318, electronic ignition, headers, new timing chain and gears. I replaced the last carb due to an incorrectable stumble off the line. Is there any un written rule for setting a float level? Carb is a 2bl. Thanks.
Old 09-19-2006, 11:41 PM

2bbl what? Holley 2300 usually lets you invert the carb and let the float hang closed, you can put a pencil between the float and the top of the fuel bowl. I dont know about the others but google 'em. Bad needle seat if the carb wont stop the fuel at perscribed level or a flooded float.
Old 09-20-2006, 05:21 AM
Inactive User

Pishta I am not really sure of the model number, I just needed some basic carb info. You would think this thing would come some kinda instructions like settings for different motors like a rebuild kit? When you say pencil, do you mean one pencil thickness from the top of the bowl?
Old 09-20-2006, 08:37 AM
Inactive User

Need to know what model, on the hollys 4412 there is a brass plug on the side of the bowl near the top. The fuel should be at the bottom of that hole with the plug removed and the engine at idle rpms. hope this helps ya, RK
Old 09-20-2006, 07:44 PM
Inactive User

No brass plug, I adjusted the bowl level yesterday. This weekend I will give it the once over and try to ID the problem. It runs great until it warms up all the way. The last couple carbs I had were rough until they warmed up. Its got me guessing I will give it the full once over!! I will also get the model number. Its strange, the car is still drivable but once warm breaks into an erratic idle. Hope its not a head gasket!!!
Old 09-21-2006, 12:28 AM

Does it still have the exhaust crossover intact, maybe sticking heat valve or choke? I had a Demon that flooded constantly and you could see fuel dripping out of the booster at idle, a rough idle. Yes, you could put a pencil between the top of the float and the top of the bowl, they were almost parallel. Same deal with a 1850/3310 4bbl.
Old 09-24-2006, 02:37 PM
Inactive User

Default Sounds too high to me.........

I suspect you have about 25 % too much fuel in the bowl. But that is just going by my exp. with my 2 bbl's.

Just thinking out loud.