Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 10-01-2006, 10:38 PM
Inactive User

Default Shifter ?

Does anyone run this shifter, the hurst Pro-Matic 2, this is going to be for my daily driver, i'm not looking for anything fancy, just something thats decent, i was also looking at the B&M Star, its going in my 77 D100, the main reason i was looking at the Pro-Matic 2 is Auto Zone has them in stock, O'Reillys has the Z-Gate, but i heard there junk now....

Thanks in advance.
Old 10-02-2006, 01:07 AM

I run it, its sure is alot of work to get from P to L though (most ratchets are) . Lets start from L to P. In low you just hit it up, itll go to 2 and then to D with its ratchet. Then you have to pull it up to get it into N, then you have to pull it up again to get it into R (reverse lock out) then it drops back down to P. Same deal going down, lift up for R, drops it down to n, back to D, then 2-L on the ratchet. Very busy but it doesnt have a T lift under the handle like the Z-Gate that gets you in/out of P-R. sometimes I wish I kept my factory '65 cable shifter, P to L in 1/2 second! The Pro-Matic 2 fit right in my factory console so it looks stock.
Old 10-02-2006, 03:00 AM
Inactive User

As far as the B&M's go, I wouldn't choose star shifter. Megashifter looks about the same, and in my opinion is way better than those "dual action" shifters. You'll propably never need the two ways to use the shifter, since one that works well is enough. Now, if you want a REAL shifter that you'll never have problems with, buy a turbo action shifter. Compared to the common cheapo shifters, it's like from a different planet.
Old 10-02-2006, 05:09 AM
Inactive User

Don't get the Z-gate. I had one in my car a long time ago when I was in High school. As I approached a stop light one day, I tried to get the attention of a girl that was walking down the sidewalk by throwing it in neutral and revving the engine...what I got was a girl laughing hysterically when I put the shifter right through neutral and into park @ 15 MPH Then I flooded the car trying to restart it before the light turned green...yup…I got her attention alright, just not the kind I was looking for.

I then switched to the B&M mega shifter, had it ever since
Old 10-02-2006, 08:31 AM
Inactive User

Thanks guys, i normally run the B&M Pro Ratchet, i've heard good things about the TA, i'm stuck on the Pro Ratchet, i love that thing! just figured with a standard valve body, don't need anything fancy.