Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 10-10-2006, 04:17 PM

Default Scott fuel injection, The Scott Slot?

Anyone ever hear of these? I missed a 4bbl Scott FI on E-bay and it looked very simple, basically a Holley 4bbl base and a stromberg jet sitting atop the 4 bbls. Ran off a centrifugal fuel pump 3-200 PSI and a regulator. RPM driven pump varied the fuel amount an an exhaust pressure sensor (?) did something else. Pretty neat-o but it was missing the pump and the regulator, Oh well. Thought maybe some of the more senior members would remember the '62 nationals when everyone was running "the SLOT". here
Old 10-10-2006, 05:21 PM
Inactive User

Sounds like throttle body injection (TBI).
Old 10-10-2006, 07:01 PM

It was...Cool thing was that is was entirely mechanical. Could be put on "anything" per sales literature, even dual quad setups.
Old 10-10-2006, 11:13 PM
Inactive User

I never owned one, but I remember them. They were a constant flow injector. But in reality, the amount of fuel flow was regulated by a rotary valve like the Hilborn unit.

They were really a "low dollar" alternative to the Hilborn unit. They were available for four barrel and two barrel(3 bolt) intakes.

Scott also make full injector units like the Hilborn for non supercharged engines and supercharged as well.
Old 10-11-2006, 08:13 AM
Inactive User

The Scott Slot sat above a blower and used either a fiberglass or aluminum scoop. It had long throttle blades that ran front to back, and needed careful attention to how the throttle linkage was set up, as the airflow created by the blower could make it hard to close the throttle blades. Scott fuel injection systems also used a different style of pump from the other fuel injection companies.
Old 10-11-2006, 10:23 PM
Inactive User

Slingshot, you are correct---the Scott Slot was a blower injection. Never owned one only saw a few, but I think the injector body and scoop were separate, both out of aluminum.

I do remember the first Scott injection unit I ever saw, six two barrel injectors fitted to a SB-GM 6X2 intake. What a nest of snakes!

Of course, back then the problem was flowing enough fuel through the needle/seats of the carbs. That was the reason you saw 6X2 and 8X2 intakes---so you could get enough fuel into the engine. Fuel injection fixed that problem real easily. For the young guys, there wasn't any aftermarket carbs or parts to convert carbs in the 50s and early 60s.

When the Holley 4150/60 carbs appeared with the aftermarket parts, 6X2s and 8X2s disappeared quickly.

And, back then you had several brands on injectors available; Scott, Algon(with individually adjustable nozzles) and Hilborn(which was the "gold" standard). I think Enderle appeared in the mid 60s. I even owned three different SB-GM Hilborn injectors; an early unit with a two piece base, a later unit with 1 1/2" tubes and a later unit with 1 3/4" tubes. What do they have now, 2 1/2" tubes? A lot has changed in 40 years.
Old 10-12-2006, 09:18 AM
Inactive User

My Indy 8-Stack has 2 15/16" throttle bores, and you can get them larger than that! Hilborn made 4 different sets for Chrysler big blocks, 2", and 2 1/8" throttle bores, for the standard and for the Max-Wedge heads. Kinsler makes a stack injection unit for Mopars, and Engler Machine and Tool does also. For tunnel ram intakes, you can use an Enderly hat, a Crower 8-Port, a Hilborn 4-port, or a pair of Rons Toilets. Alcohol is a lot easier to tune than gas is on a mechanical injection system, you have a little more leeway on your fuel curve.
Old 10-12-2006, 10:58 AM
Inactive User

Heres a link to the history of the Scott setups

http://home.cogeco.ca/~scott-injection/INJHISTORY.html
Old 10-12-2006, 05:29 PM

That is the first place I looked wheb I had a chance to get that Scott on Epray. when I saw the lack of regulator and proprietary fuel pump, I declined. Too bad, would have looked cool. Il go MPI if I ever do FI on my street dominator intake. Pretty easy once you get the ingector bungs and fuel rails made up now days, all modular.