Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 10-22-2006, 01:06 AM
Banned

Biggrin Have you ever used a ....

My brother picked up something today in a trade. It's a Mallory Super Mag for a 440. Has anyone ever used one? Tag says Mallory Super Mag part num. 365sp gap points at .020 and set dwell to 11. The other tage says, Auto advance starts at 900 rpm with a total of 20* advance all in by 1500 rpm. It has a large condensor on the side that the primary points wire goes to. It has a mech. tach drive too. It has two terminals on the side one marked P that has the wire going to the condensor and one post marked R. It must use an external transformer.

Just wondering how to hook it up to see if it works. My brother checked the Mallory sight and the 365 part number is just for the base and it's still available. There's no numbers on it to identify the generator body, but it looks nothing like what they show on there pics. This thing appears to be new and unsed too.

Anybody has any info, please let me know.
Old 10-22-2006, 01:19 AM
Inactive User

nah,

It wont work with any two steps or anything like that. So never was a use for me. Know absolutly nothing about a mag....

Monday Mallory should be able to tell ya everything you need.
Old 10-22-2006, 03:23 PM
Inactive User

Well this isn't to much about the mag but everyone I have ever know that has used Mallory has had alot of problems with them. I do know someone that used a mallory mag years ago and it only stayed in the car for one race and then it was on the shelf for a decade or so before he tossed it in the dumpster. I know he had hell trying to get it to work and just got to irritated with it.
Old 10-22-2006, 07:07 PM
Inactive User

Just remember that on a magneto, you ground the P-lead to kill spark. An open wire or circuit leaves the ignition hot. Probably not a huge issue on a car, this is just my airplane background kicking in, I suppose.
Old 10-23-2006, 12:45 AM
Banned

Biggrin

Yeah, I knew you had to have the kill switch to ground. Looking on Mallory's site they say the plugs have to have a .020 gap I think that's what it said. Just could not find any info on this one and thought someone might have used one in the past. Only thinkg I see them on is the top fuel cars and such. Does not seem to be a good piece for a street car with such small plug gaps and they say they are hard to hot start the engine with one too. Don't know what we will do with it.
Old 10-23-2006, 03:42 PM

I have a super mag 3 (got in a deal too!) and I have no mechanical advance. Mallory says their advance mechanisms are not the greatest. Most people run mags on WOT cars, drag cars and your model would be more useful in a sprint car or something that doesnt need a alternator as they produce their own AC. You need a transformer (or mag coil) to convert it to DC for the spark plugs to use. They run very small gaps because of the large amperage the mag puts out. Super Mags put out like 3 or 4 amps, not to be confused with the ultra high voltage and small amperage of the coil type ignition. Sprint mags have the advance, maybe you have one of those? Much more useful on a street engine. Remember you need to use solid core wires with a mag as the high amperage will burn out the carbon core wires. Only the super mag 4 and 5 use the rare earth magnets that do not need to be recharged as they need to be checked after each season. Dont bench run a mag without a load, not real good for them. The capacitor on the side helps to start a motor as the slow moving mag doesnt put out a lot of spark. Harley owners know that a 36 MFd (or something like that) cap is a real help in getting the pigs started. The advent of the MSD and capacitor discharge ignitions moved the mags over to the alky/nitro/high compression motors as Mallory will tell you that their hi-6 is a much better choice for a street motor. So the magnets need recharging every once in a while, the advance mechanisms are spotty and they are hard to start. Anyone want to buy a hemi mag?
Old 10-24-2006, 01:34 AM
Banned

Biggrin

Quote:
Originally Posted by pishta
I have a super mag 3 (got in a deal too!) and I have no mechanical advance. Mallory says their advance mechanisms are not the greatest. Most people run mags on WOT cars, drag cars and your model would be more useful in a sprint car or something that doesnt need a alternator as they produce their own AC. You need a transformer (or mag coil) to convert it to DC for the spark plugs to use. They run very small gaps because of the large amperage the mag puts out. Super Mags put out like 3 or 4 amps, not to be confused with the ultra high voltage and small amperage of the coil type ignition. Sprint mags have the advance, maybe you have one of those? Much more useful on a street engine. Remember you need to use solid core wires with a mag as the high amperage will burn out the carbon core wires. Only the super mag 4 and 5 use the rare earth magnets that do not need to be recharged as they need to be checked after each season. Dont bench run a mag without a load, not real good for them. The capacitor on the side helps to start a motor as the slow moving mag doesnt put out a lot of spark. Harley owners know that a 36 MFd (or something like that) cap is a real help in getting the pigs started. The advent of the MSD and capacitor discharge ignitions moved the mags over to the alky/nitro/high compression motors as Mallory will tell you that their hi-6 is a much better choice for a street motor. So the magnets need recharging every once in a while, the advance mechanisms are spotty and they are hard to start. Anyone want to buy a hemi mag?
Good info. Got a clue how to wire it to the transformer and how to recharge the magnets if it needs them? Can the magnets be replaced with the rare earth kind?
Old 10-24-2006, 02:43 AM
Inactive User

I'll give you $10 for it if it will work with my Thermo Quad.
Old 10-24-2006, 03:20 PM

Looks like the SM 4 and 5, especially the 5 are completely different animals and the rare earth magnets are not available for the lower supermags. Mallory recommended Don Zig magneto's to outsource some of the older 10 year out of production parts, like the brass (?) advance weights that had a tendency to delaminate and explode in the housing taking the entire mag out with it! The transformer is just like a coil in the wiring. Big coil wire goes to the center pole of the mag. Taylor/Vertex had 2 models, one had an internal transformer that made a very clean install, the OCX (?) had an external transformer. They make a distributor that looks like a Vertex for the flathead ford crowd, kinda cool. Let me know if its going to sit on the shelf, may be interested in the advance base, mines locked out. Like Ill ever run it either
Old 10-25-2006, 01:09 AM
Banned

Biggrin

If I can find out how to wire it up I might use it on a project if I can get it off my brother. I took the generator off the base today cause I did not have anything else to do. The weights and springs are in the base. On the bottom of the generator base is a plate that is bolted to the shaft. IT has pins that limit the advance and it is adjustable. The nut that holds the plate on the shaft sites between the weights too. Looks solid on the bottom of the generator section. I did not take the points out, but there is two screws under them that might let the top part of the generator come loose.
Old 10-25-2006, 01:14 PM

well, P needs to be open to run, ground P to kill. It is that simple. If it is turning it is generating. I think the R is the buzz box connection? Or maybe an indicator. My P had a quick connect on it so you could easily run a toggle or wire it into the column/starter for your ignition.http://www.donzig.com/drawing.html
Old 10-26-2006, 01:05 AM
Banned

Biggrin

Thanks for the link. I'll try this thing out when I get a chance and see if it will work or not.
Old 10-26-2006, 11:48 PM

Duh, that R is the + lead to the external coil! Silly me. Vertex doesnt have that except the OCX model. Larger transformer, bigger spark.
Old 10-27-2006, 01:47 AM
Banned

Biggrin

Thanks again. I'll see if it works when I get a chance.