Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Classifieds > Vehicles Wanted > Rear Wheel Drive - Vehicles Wanted

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 10-30-2006, 03:56 AM
Inactive User

Help Trying to find my Duster

Does anyone know how I would go about finding my old Duster? Last time I saw it was around 1986. I was stationed @ Whiteman AFB Missouri. I sold it to another Airman named "Jimmy Baker". It was a Bronze W/Black stripes. 1973 340, 4 speed, with 2.72 geared rear end. Bench seat, and a fold down Space saver back seat. This was a factory A/C car, from California. Was painted right before I brought it to Missouri. Can provide Vin# if needed. Will have to go back thru old Insuranse forms, but I know I still have it somewhere. I know this is a long shot, but hopefully worth it. If you have it, or know where it might be sitting, please let me know. I'll start with the Missouri DMV first, but after that...? Can Send pictures if anyone thinks they might have a lead. 1 picture is in My profile @ fastnos @yahoo.com
Old 11-03-2006, 04:27 AM
Inactive User

Well, I found the Vin for the Duster. Its VS29H38192120 I've tried to go the Carfax report way, but early Vins (pre-81) only have 13 or less numbers. Going to the DMV tomorrow to see if they will do a "50 State Vin check" for me. Am willing to pay them to find out more about where this vehicle ended up. Will hopefully at least come up with the last registered owner of it. Not sure where else to go with this. I know I sold it to a guy named James Baker, but with him beng in the Air Force too, chances are it ended up in another State. Would appreciate any suggestions or avenues that anyone has tried and worked out. I know its a long shot, but... I can only hope. Thanks! JOE
Old 11-03-2006, 04:58 PM
Inactive User

do a title history it will give you the complete title history. As long as you are in the chain of ownership you are entitled.
Old 11-03-2006, 06:35 PM

Wrong... Most states do not retain title history since first sold. Also, most states will only do a title history for the current owner, not for a past owner.

If were as easy as getting a 50 state title histor, we would all know the full history of our vehicles. The fact is, you have to find the person that knew a person that knew another person, that was a friend of an owner of the vehicle. Unless it is a rare/high value vehicle, it normally isn't worth the effort.

You could try the Air Force locator or the department of Veteran affairs, to try and track down the guy that you sold it to. Then you will be able to find out if he still has it, scrapped it, or sold it to someone else. If he sold it, odds are he would only be able to tell you where and an approximate when.
Old 11-06-2006, 05:33 PM
Inactive User

Well, I've tried a couple of things since my last post. I went to the Indiana State Police post here in town to see if they would do a vin# check, like they do if you are tryig to title a vehicle from out of state. The said since I wasn't the current owner they could not help me. They also referred me to the License branch here in town. Since this branch is a small one they couldn't help me directly, but gave me a form and address to the main DMV in Indianapolis. It will give me the last registered owner/ Salvage yard that had it. Mailed it off today, and should know something in a few weeks. Probably will come back as crushed, but there's always an outside chance....
Thanks
Old 11-08-2006, 08:38 PM
Inactive User

If you have a friend that is a law officer, and you know what the license plate# of the car is/was, you could get your friend to run the plate and find out who the car is registered to that way. I've done that before myself.
Old 11-22-2006, 02:14 PM
Inactive User

Default Latest Update

Indiana can't do anything for me. So, I took a trip to Missouri this past weekend, and tracked it down!!! YAAA!! Found it about 30 miles from Whiteman AFB, Missouri. The guy that has it, last had it on the road about 6 years ago. Before that, his brother owned it.
Now the bad news. He is going to let his son put it back on the road this summer after school lets out and he finds a job. To me, I hope he finds a great paying job because of the shape its in. But actually, I think he'll put a little money in it, then get discuraged with it taking all his money, and still not being close to being done. I'm hoping that maybe by next spring, I'll have a decent driver to trade that he can start with and he will be farther ahead then starting with the duster. Only time will tell. Hey, Christmas is just around the corner!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 200 x 200 nov06.jpg (18.9 KB, 30 views)
Old 12-10-2006, 09:14 AM
Inactive User

Default Lost car's

I too was searching for my lost ride but instead of going the rout you did I started searching for the exact type of car I had before! Not being concerned with color combo's but more on the options list my car had. If I could find a car with all the same options I figured I can paint it and instal whatever color combo I want ... much easier I thought!

I have been looking for another one for years but not as serious as the last six months. Turns out my car has a VERY RARE option list not getting discouraged I kept looking. Six months later this week I found not one but two Im leaving in a few hours to go look at one of them. unfortunately this one is in about the same shape as your car and the other I found is much nicer but much more expensive as the man knows what he's got but still very reasonable for what it is.

Point being just because your actual car is in poor shape and the current owner wont part with it doesn't mean you cant find another just like it!
I commend you on finding your old car by the way not many can say they have gone and done that.

Take and start looking for another just like it you just might suprise yourself

Good luck in what ever you decide to do
Old 12-10-2006, 09:49 AM
Inactive User

May I apoligize ahead of time but I went looking for my high school car a 67 chevelle ss . I FOUND IT IN A GROWN UP FIELD WITH THE SS TRIM AND HOOD ROBBED AND THE ROCK CRUSHER MUNCIE AND 396 LONG GONE . It was rusted out bad roof pillars and all. I wanted to cry. Now everytime I think about that car I think of its rusted hulk. I wish I,d never found it .I did learn a lesson though The only way anyone else will get my 66 Coronet is to pry it out of my cold dead fingers . Can you be buried in a car?I might need a fast ride in Hell.
Old 12-26-2006, 09:13 PM
Inactive User

Default Found My Duster

Doright, I haven't given up hope yet. I am just treading water. I am collecting parts that can be used in my duster, or another if I can con my way back into being the owner of it again. Its just that you see so many cars rust away and not get put back on the road again. I know if I come up with a decent, gas miser car for the son, it would be more practical. But they probably won't see it that way. Just a quick little car for awhile till it gets put in the ditch. Then it won't be worth fixing again. The reason The guy parked it was he hit a post in the drivers door and dented in the floor pan about 6-8".

It a shame too because I brought it from California (vandenburg AFB) and drove it to Missouri (Whiteman AFB)when I got stationed there. So it had about 10 year jump in a fairly rust free state before it went to Missouri. It's a 1973, 340, 4 speed, A/C, Fold down back seat. Plus, not that many made with the brown metalic paint with the Black side stripes. You see a lot of Dusters, and Darts now a days with comon colors like Lime green, Plum Crazy purple,ect.. I'll give it another 3-4 months. Then I will buy a vehicle either way, I just hope I get my old one back!

Here's a site that makes me cry every time I go to it. My Duster will end up there probably. http://www.carsinbarns.com/
Old 12-27-2006, 04:14 AM
Inactive User

I am curious as to HOW you managed to track it down. I don't seem to have much luck finding anything I used to own but I wouldn't mind locating the '69 Dart 383, 4-speed ragtop and the Petty Blue 340 Demon.
Dallas
missourimopar.com
Old 12-28-2006, 07:14 AM
Inactive User

Default Finding my Duster

Well, long story! I have wanted to buy it back ever since I sold it. But thru the years when it was being sold, I didn't have the money to blow on another toy/car. Kids and marriage does that. (Fast forward 20 years) I've been out of the A.F. since dec 99, and divorced since Dec. 2000. I talked with 2 friends still in Missouri. One guy had told me that he knew where my old Duster was sitting, and I asked him to check it out for me, and see what it would take to buy it back. He reported that it wasn't mine because it was auctally a automatic with a console car. (mine was split bench with a 4 speed.) He told me it didn't have the engine in it too. A couple of more years go buy and I mention this to friend #2 and he swears it is my Duster. Then he proceeds to tell me a couple of peculiar things about it that he has seen up close. I offer to pay him to go and take a look at it and make sure. He does and swears again its mine and tells me a couple of other things about it I'd forgot about. So I think about it for awhile (1 week) and start digging thru old Insurance papers to find a Vin number. I find my old title from California and try some on-line Vin decoders and try to do a "carfax report," but older cars don't have enough numbers to find it that way. So, the week before Thanksgiving I head to Missouri to see if I can find it, and if not I was going to see if they, the DMV, could run a vehicle title History for me. It would've only been for Missouri, but it would've been a start. As it turns out I got there during the day while everyone was at work. Got out and looked closely at the car and tried to take pictures. Camera would turn on then shut off. Low batteries! DANG!
It was about 45 minutes from Whiteman AFB, so decided to drive up there and scout out the area I used to live in. Bought some batteries and called friend who went there last, he was gone for the day. Drove back out there and finaly talked to the guy that owns it. He said it had been off the road for around 5 years since he hit a pole on the drivers door. We talked for about half an hour, and gave him all my contact info just in case he decided to sell it or needed some quick money. Drove back to Indiana. Was a pretty long sad trip home. Hopefully he'll change his mind about selling it once he figures out how much it'll be. If it sits much longer everything on the floors will have to be replaced.
I've found one other car this way. Had to do a title search with the Vin number. In Indiana it costs $10, and you have to have some proof of ownership in the history. It works only in the state that you apply it in. Hope this helps. Maybe this spring I'll come down to your place and buy that light blue Dodge you have if this Duster doesn't work out. Hope this helps!
Old 12-29-2006, 01:05 AM
Inactive User

That's an interesting story, thank's for sharing it.
Sometime I may try to trace the big block Dart I had. I still have the VIN info on it. I don't have it on the Demon, and I don't believe I registered it in my name. Back at that time it was just another thing to trade on.
The '73 Dart Sport is Petty Blue (Basin Street Blue). We buffed it and it looks alot brighter now. It runs pretty strong, I've done alot of work to it since the pics were taken.
Later,
Dallas
missourimopar.com