Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 04-16-1999, 03:28 AM
Fast1

Here are some answers to some of the questions with this pinging problem:
Dave, The pinging starts when I hit around 4000rpm whether hot or cold. It is more pronounced in 3rd gear under moderate acceleration.
Brian, I checked the float level on each carb and and the fuel runs out when the screws are loosened. You asked if I degreed the cam, no I didn't have a degree wheel so I set the cam 0 mark to mark.
Joe, The cam I'm using is from Summit. The duration is 224deg. intake and 234deg. exhaust. Lift is 465 intake and 488 exhaust .Lobe separation is 114.
You stated it could be off which way advanced or retarded ?
As for more things I recently tried I installed a new high volume pump rated at 8psi and ran a new 3/8 line from the tank.The pinging seems to have lightened up but it is still there. I also replaced the thermostat with a 180deg. one. I also checked the coolant with a pyrometer and it's ok
Can the 440 head gaskets be installed backwards like some other engines ?
Old 04-16-1999, 11:46 PM
Dave

If your pinging is happening immediately you are probably having a timing problem. If it happens after 5 or 8 seconds in moderate acceleration you still have a fuel problem.
HEEEERREE WE GO!
If the pinging is happening immediately I suspect that the vacuum advance is not set to be off early enough. The vacuum advance is there to try to give you some semblance of mileage and emission control. But under at light throttle higher RPM and moderate accel the vacuum advance should be fairly minimal.
Try disconnecting the vacuum advance hose and plugging the hose with a golf tee. Then reset your idle speed to your proper level(whatever it runs best at). Go out and see if you have the same problem under the SAME circumstances. If the problem goes away you found the culprit.(Hows my grasp of the obvious? ) The deal now is to add the vacuum advance back in but to have it actuate at a higher vacuum level. For that you will need a hand vacuum guage or a hand brake bleeder with guage and a tiny allen key. The adjustment for the vacuum pot is inside the pot itself where the vacuum hose goes. I'm not sure which way you have to turn it to get the desired adjustment but go one way and if it doesnt work go the other way.
If the pinging happens after a few seconds I suspect that you have a needle and seat that is too small and you are running out of fuel in the fuel bowl. You have made all the other changes that might have fixed the fuel angle and the needle and seat seem to be the last thing.
Mebbey ya,mebby no,lemme no.
Old 04-18-1999, 06:14 AM
Joe Gilmore

When you pull the plugs out of the motor What color are they. A nice even tan to a light gray, No spotting or oily residue. If they are white almost look like new the motor is lean. keep trying I think your alomst there.
Most timing sets have what is called built in retard, to tame down the factoy cams, It's something the factory has been doing for years and the aftermarket picked up on it and carried it on. Only the good quality timing sets are true about the markings,{ As of + or - } It could have to much cylinder press. High compresssion? Detionation can be caused by a lot of things, and very hard to find.