Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > General Chat > Off-Topic Forum > Diecast and Model Car Forum

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 11-01-2006, 07:24 PM

Default Don't trust the US Post office to deliver things undamaged.

I just bought this off of eBay, you can see where the sender wrote in large red letters, "Do not Bend or Puncture!" So instead they smashed it with a large object!!!
http://home.earthlink.net/~hill7jack...dimpgrille.jpg
Old 11-01-2006, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoga
I just bought this off of eBay, you can see where the sender wrote in large red letters, "Do not Bend or Puncture!" So instead they smashed it with a large object!!!
http://home.earthlink.net/~hill7jack...dimpgrille.jpg
Was it insured?
Old 11-02-2006, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick
Was it insured?
No, it was a small item and low cost, so I didn't bother.
Also, I wasn't worried about the money, I needed the part more.
I didn't expect him to have another, 68 Imperial promo parts aren't exactly common these days, howeverm the seller contacted me though, he's sending me another!!

His nick on eBay is deadplasti2002. He sells alot of obscure and collectible hobby items, mostly model car stuff. I've dealt with him before and he's always reliable, this time though above and beyond the call of duty!

I'll post pics here when I get the Imperial done, I'm aiming to finish it for the Big Car posting day they're having at Hobby Heaven this coming Thanksgiving weekend, at www.modelcarkits.com. on their message board.
Old 11-02-2006, 01:43 PM
Banned

Biggrin

UPS is just as bad over here.

Couple years ago right before Xmas I called and asked what was the last day for delievery cause I was going out of town for a day or two. Oh this is our last day, we wont deliever again till after the 26th. I get home on the 25th real late, I see my new $500 sidewinder helmet box in a mud puddle, and my 4 new racing wheels were no where to be found. Stolen.

Now on Tue. I was asleep and did not hear the UPS guy at the door and he left a note to deliever the next day. So Wed. I slept on the couch so I could hear him. NEver showed. It's 11:42 now and he has still not showed today either. I have to leave at 1:30 so I'll be calling the shop tomorrow if he don't show and do some more chewing out. I aways end up chewing someone out over there.
Old 11-02-2006, 06:19 PM
Inactive User

I've had worse problems with USPS. As for UPS, couldn't you arrange to pick your stuff up directly at their warehouse or whatever they call it. That's what I started doing so a lot of time wouldn't get wasted because trying to even figure an estimate of when they'll actually show up is just as smart as patching an oil leak with masking tape. This way, you are in control and can arrange your schedule to pick it up in person at a time that's best for you. Just call them and I'm sure you can work it that way. Save time and have peace of mind.
Old 11-02-2006, 06:53 PM
Banned

Biggrin

Quote:
Originally Posted by velocity_vixen
I've had worse problems with USPS. As for UPS, couldn't you arrange to pick your stuff up directly at their warehouse or whatever they call it. That's what I started doing so a lot of time wouldn't get wasted because trying to even figure an estimate of when they'll actually show up is just as smart as patching an oil leak with masking tape. This way, you are in control and can arrange your schedule to pick it up in person at a time that's best for you. Just call them and I'm sure you can work it that way. Save time and have peace of mind.

Local ups hub that serves my area is in Tullahoma. Next town over and it's about 40 min one way drive from where I live. I have to cross the whole county that I live in and then cross all of Tullahoma too. Not worth that hassel either unless it's something I just gotta have right now. It would be much easier if they would just do what they said they would do.

By the way, I got the order 5 min. before I walked out the door. I guess we can say that was perfrect timming this time.
Old 11-02-2006, 09:22 PM

Biggrin

One thing I have done before is go to the shipper's website and enter the tracking #. UPS and FEDEX are the most accurate. You can track your package from origin to every transfer, up to the point the last entry is "out for delivery". You can then expect it that day.
Old 11-02-2006, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwc43
I get home on the 25th real late, I see my new $500 sidewinder helmet box in a mud puddle, and my 4 new racing wheels were no where to be found. Stolen.
Damn, that sucks, on Christmas too. Your story definetly makes me hesitate to use UPS for anything. Also, I'm not too crazy how one of their drivers likes to crash bomb thru traffic during morning rush hour here when everyone is taking their kids to school.
Old 11-03-2006, 12:17 AM
Banned

Biggrin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick
One thing I have done before is go to the shipper's website and enter the tracking #. UPS and FEDEX are the most accurate. You can track your package from origin to every transfer, up to the point the last entry is "out for delivery. You can then expect it that day.

That's where my problem is, the last transfere depot to the truck that sends it to me. Tell me why it road around on that truck on Wed. and he never stopped at my house like his note from Tue. said he would?
Old 11-03-2006, 12:19 AM
Banned

Biggrin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoga
Damn, that sucks, on Christmas too. Your story definetly makes me hesitate to use UPS for anything. Also, I'm not too crazy how one of their drivers likes to crash bomb thru traffic during morning rush hour here when everyone is taking their kids to school.

I hate using my UPS that's for sure, but you can't always pick the shipper when your buying from someone else or a company. Fed Ex and DHL have really done a good job for me.
Old 11-03-2006, 08:21 AM
Inactive User

Let me get this straight, this part was sent in a padded envelope and you somehow expected it to be damage free?

Shoulda used a small box.
Old 11-03-2006, 03:30 PM
Inactive User

I don't think I have them anymore, but I had some pics I pulled off Scale Auto Mag's forum of a '64 or '65 Ford model another forum member built for a friend that was just obliterated by the USPS in shipping, if I remember right all that was left of the car was the sides hood and trunk lid. Mom also sent one of my cousins in Iowa a large can of cashews from here in the We-Go and somewhere between the We-Go post office and his P.O. Box somebody opened the bottom of the box and took out the can, resealed it and marked it as recieved damaged.
Old 11-03-2006, 07:17 PM

Biggrin FedEx Horror Story (LONG)

Several years ago, I volunteered to ship an item through my business, as a matter of courtesy for one of my employees.

The item was a hope chest that had been made by her father years previous. It was made as a wedding present for a niece who had moved to Utah. The niece was not able (or willing) to take the chest, so it sat in her grandfather's basement for years.

The chest was resurected and I said I would ship it. I obtained a very large carton from a U-Haul center and prepared to box up the chest. I spent the better part of a day packing it up. There were some other items, antique sterling silver, and a samovar which fit nicely inside the chest. Sufficient packing was placed in the chest and the outside was well padded with newspaper and foam pellets.

It took two of us to load it into my truck. It was about 20 miles to the FedEx terminal and we had ample time for the trip. I already had the shipping papers made out for the freight and the insurance, totalling about $80.

We arrived at the terminal about 10 minutes before closing and muscled the carton in the door. The clerk behind the counter weighed it and then pulled out a bead chain for outside measurements. She then told me that it couldn't be shipped FedEx because it was too large and the truck drivers couldn't handle it. I argued with her but she said she wouldn't accept it. I was pissed at that point and told her that I had recieved cartons bigger than that at my business and she countered with "they went by air". I asked how much to ship by air and she gave me a figure of about $350.00! She also said if I was going to do that, to make out the paperwork right away because she was closing.

At this point I figured that enough time and effort had been spent and the dang hope chest was going to be shipped one way or the other. I hurriedly filled out the shipper. She took the paperwork and muscled the carton onto a dolly. As it was being wheeled away, I mentioned that there was no airport here and questioned how they got it to an airport if it was too big and heavy for the truck driver. No answer. I left.

Once out in the truck, I reviewed the paperwork and realized that I had not insured the carton. However, it was going by air and would be delivered the next day. HAH! What could happen on an airplane?

The next day I traced it on the website and saw where it had been delivered to an address that was next door to where it was destined, even though I had specified designated receiver signature.

We contacted the niece and she said that the neighbors had called to say a box had been dropped off in their driveway. Upon inspection, the niece found that a fork had been driven right through the carton, puncturing the box and the chest. It also had smashed some of the contents and flattened the samovar.

It gets better..........................I told her to call FedEx to file a claim. A rep finally went to inspect it several days later. He said the box was not packed correctly. This was his statement while peering through a 9 inch hole through the box and its contents. The fact that a fork truck had driven through it was a packing problem!

I found out about that and went wild. I called FedEx and raised holy hell. They said I didn't insure it and I said that I paid $350.00 to have them destroy a one of a kind item.

They said for me to file a claim for the minimum included insurance of $100. All I would need was a bill of sale. I said I didn't have a bill of sale and they said then I couldn't be reimbursed because I couldn't prove I bought it. I said I didn't buy it and only shipped it as a favor. Besides, how could I get a receipt for something that was hand made by a man who had been dead for several years. In addition, I didn't want any money because it wasn't my loss. The recipient should get the check. They said they could only reimburse the shipper and that I would have to pass the money on ....if I wanted to!

Finally, I received a check for $100 and forwarded it on to the niece. With that, she was able to find a carpenter who was able to replace the broken wood and at least make it whole again.

A few days later, I received my statement from FedEx, billing me for $350.00 freight. Needless to say..............................we danced.