Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 11-03-2006, 11:01 PM
Inactive User

Default Just Suspension Rack/Pinion kit

Saw in a Mopar Muscle ad that Just Suspension has Rack/Pinion kits for B/E bodies. Anyone using one of their kits or seen how they are installed in a car?

It'd be nice if they came up with something that didn't require a K-frame change..
Old 11-03-2006, 11:41 PM
Inactive User

My buddy pulled their add off the net the other night and copied it to show me , the pics I saw you use your exsisting k-member. you take the old sreering gear off the k. and then the drag link and tie rods ,then the new rack setup bolt into the place of the steering gear and the drag link. then hook the ends of the rack into the bottom of your spindles.
The set up comes with a universal and rods on each end to take the place of your steering column from the firewall down.it looks cool.I didnt see a price ,but you know it wont be cheap since its new.
Old 11-03-2006, 11:49 PM
Inactive User

Many thanks! I checked their website but couldn't find anything on it there, so figured I'd ask here..

You wouldn't by any chance still have the ad would you?
Old 11-03-2006, 11:55 PM
Inactive User

No mike I dont ,I`m thinkin that he pulled it off the moparts web site ,on the vendor page ii beleive, he got it off moparts .com I do know that. maybe if you do an item search it will bring it up. Happy hunting
Old 11-04-2006, 12:22 AM
Inactive User

Thanks for the pointer to Moparts.. off to see if I can find it there..
Old 11-04-2006, 12:39 AM
Inactive User

your welcome , good luck.
Old 11-04-2006, 03:24 AM
Banned

Biggrin

Does not seem like it's worth the trouble if it goes back in the same place as the stock steering. IT wont steer any better than the stock pieces and can cause bump steer problems if you change the ride or tire height. May cause header clearance problems as well. May cause clearance problems with certain oil pans too. I don't see where the cost for no gain can be justified on this one.
Old 11-04-2006, 05:44 AM

DW, unless you have actually seen the system or the complete installation kit and instructions, then you are just posting to increase your post count.

I really hate it when you post based off of pure specualtion and no actually knowledge.
Old 11-04-2006, 09:56 AM
Inactive User

actually, it tucks rightin close to the k- frame DW, and you get all the hardware to hooh it up to your power steering pump, they also had a pump in the kit as optional with all the bracketry to hook it up to small or big block ,and all the line was braided stainless.
I agree with the oil pan comment. from the pics i sure that a 8 or 9 quart pan would hit it. but the pan would have to hit the k-frame to start with , and who would want to have their pan an 1/8`th of an inch from the k- on hard ecceleration anyway.
on the header issue. it stated something about them in the ad. I didnt read the whole thing so I wont comment on that part except to say, if the stock tie rod ends work with headers, I`m sure they took that into account and this setup should not pose that many problems.
Old 11-04-2006, 10:16 AM
Inactive User

I got an email into them about it, be interesting to see what they come back with.

I wonder if they are still owned by the same guy? Seems like since they moved to NC they been coming out with lot more products.
Old 11-04-2006, 01:28 PM

Just my 2 cents worth but with less moveing parts I think it would eliminate a lot of the "slop".I think the rack would feel a lot tighter and be more responsive.
Old 11-04-2006, 04:02 PM
Banned

Biggrin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehostler
DW, unless you have actually seen the system or the complete installation kit and instructions, then you are just posting to increase your post count.

I really hate it when you post based off of pure specualtion and no actually knowledge.

I think it's the other way around. It's mostly common sense if you would stop to think about it. The tie rods and drag link are an 1" in dia. at it's largest, a racik is much larger and takes up much more room than the stock system. Weighs about the same and does create clearance issues to some extent. Now if it went in front of the K frame it would be a different thing.
Old 11-04-2006, 05:12 PM

No DW, it's not the other way around. You are always making comments about things that you know nothing about. If you have never seen this setup (and you haven't), then you should shut the f**k up until you have seen one.
Old 11-05-2006, 05:29 PM

The outfit that makes the R&P conversion is Unisteer, the magazines that have evaluated it report no bump steer or other issues. Clearance for headers might be limited.

Here's a pic of it mounted:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Unisteer on K.jpg.jpg (46.1 KB, 45 views)
Old 11-05-2006, 06:03 PM
Banned

Biggrin

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Kunkel
Clearance for headers might be limited.
Some aftermarket oil pan problems too. Just what I expected. That left side is pretty bad. Going to have a weird angle to get the steering shaft to the rack too from the looks of it too.
Old 11-05-2006, 07:43 PM

The Unisteer website shows a price tag of $1,300.
Old 11-05-2006, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwc43
Some aftermarket oil pan problems too. Just what I expected.
How do you know? Have you seen one installed?
Since the rack sits in the same relative position as the original tie rod and doesn't move in an arc like the tie rod, there shouldn't be any major problem.

Quote:
That left side is pretty bad. Going to have a weird angle to get the steering shaft to the rack too from the looks of it too.
Gee, a master fabricator like you claim to be is scared of a little engineering. As usual, bad-mouthing a product for the sake of consuming bandwidth. :flip:
Old 11-05-2006, 09:52 PM
Inactive User

This sounds like a great product. The Shivvy boys have been coming out with stuff like this for years and it's time the Mopar purists give a little and succumb to technology. I greww up in an era that already had gone rack and pinion but always had an a or e-body to drive. When I drove a newer car it felt like I was driving on rails.
I applaud the efforts to make Mopars handle better, but for $1,300? Why not just get a Reilly Motorsports Alter-k-tion. If you go the rack and pinion route, why not go all the way and get tubular UCA and LCA, as well as a tubular k-frame and coilover shocks? Sure it's double the cost but quadruple the benefits.
Old 11-05-2006, 11:38 PM
Inactive User

The way all of these companies gouge mopar fans pisses me off! What the hell!? If that was a shivvy kit it would be 1/3rd the price & available at the local autozone!
Old 11-05-2006, 11:39 PM
Banned

Biggrin

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Kunkel
How do you know? Have you seen one installed?
Since the rack sits in the same relative position as the original tie rod and doesn't move in an arc like the tie rod, there shouldn't be any major problem.

Gee, a master fabricator like you claim to be is scared of a little engineering. As usual, bad-mouthing a product for the sake of consuming bandwidth. :flip:
Not scared of any engineering at all. If I had to install one I could easily take a die grinder the the left bracket to get more room. Not sure what the first part of your rant is about since I did not metnion that to you.
Old 11-06-2006, 01:06 AM
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by superbee1970440
The way all of these companies gouge mopar fans pisses me off! What the hell!? If that was a shivvy kit it would be 1/3rd the price & available at the local autozone!

Not really Superbee. Maybe a rack and pinion kit would be cheaper because there is alot of competition in the GM steering department. However, when a "new" idea comes along, whether it be a mini-tub kit for a 1st Gen Camaro or a front subframe for a Chevelle utilizing a C5 suspension, the prices can be even more shocking. Hell, the Air Ride Technologies 4-bar AirBAR rear suspension for my 'cuda and a 1967-69 Camaro costs the same. The Alter-k-tion is way way cheaper than Detroit Speed and Engineering's front kit for Shivvy's. You see, there are a few more "grass roots" type buisiness people in the Mopar realm as opposed to GM enthusiasts being SEMA oriented. Oh, and why would you want anything from Autozone unless it is a repair part or a consumable item, i.e. oils, lubes, filters. You gotta get the "We are at a dis-advantage because they have all the resouces" attitude away from the Mopar camp because quite frankly it's a farse and is too commonly used as an excuse for not putting the required amounts of money into your ride to make it top dawg in your neighborhood.
Old 11-06-2006, 12:12 PM
Inactive User

I do agree with super bee on specialty items. 6 bbl setups lift off hoods. Alot of theese items are now going up because the marke value of the cars has escalated. The brand x camp has also gone up in value on the market. But I`m not seeing the price fluxuations like on mopar stuff. Ithink that year one and and other major resto suppliers are guilty of that. There are some outfits like summit racing, that are true to there customers not the vendors, its unfortunate that we could not get ALL of our parts through them or an entity like themIn one phone call.
On new products yes, go fish, your 100 % right, the product price cant be controlled because there is no competition. But Give the market awhile and then another company will make their own version then it will be alot cheaper. New tech is nice, But it was fine in 69. And it still starts and runs, so i like it the way it is.
I love to look at Injected hemi 70 road runners and darts. Or overdrive chargers, And I see the trends goin that way further every day, But I tend to wait awhile and buy yesterdays tech for a few bucks less so I can enjoy a done car driving it while I upgrade it,not wait till Its built with all the new high tech stuff.
Old 11-06-2006, 01:20 PM
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by go-fish
Maybe a rack and pinion kit would be cheaper because there is alot of competition in the GM steering department.
You see, that's my point. That is what I consider gouging us. Why on earth should that kit be so expensive? The only specialy part to it is the bracket, and that part looks kind of cheap.

Oh, and just to clarify, I don't feel I take that kind of attitude. If I wanted an easy car to build, I'd buy a camaro.

Sam
Old 11-06-2006, 01:50 PM

BS!

Quote:
Not scared of any engineering at all. If I had to install one I could easily take a die grinder the the left bracket to get more room.
dw, if you did that and had a serious accident because of bracket failure and killed someone.. ............. .....who do YOU think is going to get his butt handed to him in a civil court?

Hell, even criminal charges are not a stretch.
Old 11-06-2006, 02:19 PM
Inactive User

You also have to take into account that the GM suspensions are set up a little differently and don't take as much work to make rack set ups work. There are more parts involved with making a rack work on a mopar properly. Magnumforce racing also sells a tubular k member with rack and tubular a arms. The kit costs more but you get alot more and save some weight too. It also converts from torsion bar to coil over. If I was going to ( and I am) convert to rack I would go with this set up. It is very high quality and Ron at Magnumforce is very helpful when it comes to Q&A.
Old 11-06-2006, 02:23 PM
Inactive User

If you call just suspensions ask for luke. There here in mooresville and I know luke he is a mopar guy.
Old 11-06-2006, 03:23 PM

The price does sound a little high but you're getting more than just the R&P and brackets. See below.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Unisteer R&P.jpg (37.1 KB, 22 views)
Old 11-06-2006, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Not sure what the first part of your rant is about since I did not metnion (sic) that to you.
Go back and read your comments, the first part of my "rant" is in regard to you making judgements about such things as oil pan clearance and steering shaft angles without actually seeing a completed installation.

Of course, speaking without knowledge is your specialty.
Old 11-06-2006, 03:39 PM
Inactive User

Hey John you forgot the whole him not being happy unless he is argueing with someone. Even if he is wrong. DW pay attention to what people are saying and take it all in and don't talk about crap you don't know about.
Old 11-06-2006, 04:17 PM
Inactive User

From Just Suspension:

Mike, we no longer carry this particular Item.

Just Suspension