Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 11-15-2006, 05:27 PM
Inactive User

Default Manual Choke Cable

I have a 383 Satellite with a 4 speed. The carb is a holley 650 with mechanical secondaries.

I drive the car year round. It starts easily when cold, even in the winter: a few stabs of the throttle will keep it running and within a few SECONDS it will run fine but of course won't idle unless I keep a touch of the throttle on. It will idle just fine once it is FULLY warmed up. If only I had a fast idle when it was cold, things would be great. My carb has all of the hardware on it for a manual choke but there is no choke cable.

My gut feeling is that I need the fast idle function of the choke much more than I'll need the enrichening function of the choke. I don't want to have the choke all of the way on to activate the fast idle, that will turn my motor into a blubbering mess.

Here is my question. Can I install a choke cable and adjust the choke mechanism such that as long as the choke is on AT ALL the fast idle will be activated?

Regards,

Bill
Old 11-15-2006, 09:27 PM

The only way that I can think of is to disconnect the choke door and wire/tie it to be full open. Then the choke cable will only activate the fast idle.
Old 11-16-2006, 10:43 AM
Inactive User

Ed,

Thanks. It sounds like it is feasible then. I guess I could do the same type of mod you suggested if I use an electric choke. The electric choke would of course do it automatically. I think I'll start with a cable, learn what works, and go from there.

Then engine is not stock (single plane intake, lumpy cam, etc....) so I bet it would not respond to an automatic choke all nice-nice like a stock motor would.

Regards,
Old 11-16-2006, 07:01 PM
Inactive User

billblack, that's what I would do. Hook up the cable, and see how the engine reacts to the choke before wiring the choke plates open. It may work just fine, as most linkages will allow the choke plates to open some just from airflow once the engine starts. The nice thing with a manual choke is being able to shut it off a.s.a.p. whereas electric units may not do so soon enough to suit your combo.