Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Diesel & Turbo Diesel Chat

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 01-15-2001, 01:50 PM
Inactive User

Exclamation

I have a stock '90 Cummins auto 3 spd no overdrive.3.0 gear. I get 18 mpg. I was told that I should be able to get over 20 mpg maybe even 25 mpg.

The motor has 195 000 miles on it, doesn't burn oil, but does smoke quite a bit when idling. It has the huge cannister filter. Can I install the intercooler and the flat filter on this engine and will it help milage and horsepower. Mine is rated at 160 hp now.

I don't know how to explain this but the engine becomes quieter at about 65 mph? (myabe bleeds off boost or something with the pump?). It uses to do this any time there was light throttle operation around 45-50 mph, not anymore. It is very loud driving at 50 mph. Does anyone have a clue what I'm talking about?

Jason
Jason's Aspen/Volare Club http://www.geocities.com/indychamp
Old 01-15-2001, 08:30 PM
Inactive User

Wink

your rigt it is hard to explain. the best I can do is the pump is what is making the noise and at different levels or loads it is quieter. my 01 is noisy as hell at 60mph and quiter at higher speeds. as for the intercooler it should be obvious that it would do both, or the newer trucks wouldnt have them. but fitting it in, it might not be worth the trouble.(but it would help)as for the oil at idle dont worry, a little oil past the rings is expected at that age.

------------------
2001 quad cab shortbed 24valve, 5spd, 3.54's, TST Powermax2,Turboback highflow exhaust,275hp DD injectors. and if you can't DODGE'em RAM'em
Old 01-16-2001, 02:28 AM
Inactive User

Hi guy, try and find a heavy truck garage that has a fuel shop. Get a fuel tune-up before you burn a lot of $$$ on after market.
Yes a tune-up diesels need them.
1-K&N air filter
2-new fuel filter
3-have injectors cleaned & balanced on a bench
4-injector pump timed
5-use a fuel lubricant all year round
(Howells is very good, Kenworth sells it)
6-4" exhaust & high flow muffler
7-transmission shift kit, you want the trans. to up-shift as qick as possible when not under load.
Now you know it should be running as best it can for the least money and go from there.
It works for us, good luck
Old 01-17-2001, 03:42 PM
Inactive User

Wink

you forgot valves getting set.

------------------
2001 quad cab shortbed 24valve, 5spd, 3.54's, TST Powermax2,Turboback highflow exhaust,275hp DD injectors. and if you can't DODGE'em RAM'em
Old 01-18-2001, 12:30 AM
Inactive User

Cool

Thanks for the advice. I might have to get a smog test this year anyways so maybe having the fuel injectors flowed would be a good idea.

The cannister K&N is almost $100 that's why I was wondering if I can switch to the flat filter. The K&N for that is only $45 and is much easier to deal with than the big filter.

I never thought about getting the pump timed. I'll do that this year.

I always change the fuel filter every 20 000 miles.

I live in Canada and I always run conditioner in the fuel. When it starts getting cold up here in December all of the diesel fuel automatically gets conditioner when it's manufactured.

Maybe a good tune up would be worth a couple MPG?

Jason
indychamp@hotmail.com
Old 01-19-2001, 04:36 PM
Inactive User

Cool

Ah yes,, Remember the flat filter is a reasonable buy,BUT, on a fueled up ride the air box does not provide enough free flowing air due to small air inlets, your cannister filter is adequate enough( cost is a little higher).On my ride I went to the Psychotty air system to make it breath.Phew!Did I read correctly about your fuel filter changes at 20,000 miles?Change them sooner and switch to the Fleetguard (Cummins brand) of filter.You will notice a big difference over the Mopar filter.One last thing ,a fuel catalyst is a nice help and there are several good ones out there.You will have to decide how much power you are seeking,then there are plenty of people to guide you along to make your truck the animal you want.CUMMINS POWER RULES!!!!
Old 01-22-2001, 03:45 PM
Inactive User

What is a fuel catalyst?

I've spent years beating on Mopar Wedges I'm still not to familiar with Diesels. Any help with the search for power is greatly appreciated.

Jason
indychamp@hotmail.com
Jason's Aspen/Volare Club http://www.geocities.com/indychamp
Old 01-22-2001, 06:05 PM
Inactive User

Wink

an additive that will boost cetane levels and contains lubricants for fuel system.

------------------
2001 quad cab shortbed 24valve, 5spd, 3.54's, TST Powermax2,Turboback highflow exhaust,275hp DD injectors,Pillar mount EGT and Boost. and if you can't DODGE'em RAM'em
Old 01-23-2001, 02:26 AM
Inactive User

Question

Isn't that the same a Diesel Conditioner that you add to the fuel?

Jason
indychamp@hotmail.com