Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 11-21-2006, 03:23 PM
Inactive User

Default Make a Winnie let go?

I'm looking at a 1973 440 in a Winnebago and was wondering how to get the thing out of there. The grilles look easy but from there it looks like front panels will have to be sawn off. Doesn't seem like it'll come out through a door as an A-100's small block does, gotta be out the front. How's this best done?

Also, the motor appears to have a forged crank since the damper is of the neutral balance type. Will have to see.

Belvedere II
Old 11-21-2006, 04:03 PM
Inactive User

There was someone that I know got a motor out of a motor home for free and the guy that owned it didn't car about the motor home as it was wrecked. So my buddy got out the old cutting torch and the tractor. Worked great for him and even got some stress relief out of it.
Old 11-21-2006, 04:10 PM

Be aware that the heads and crankshaft will probably be different on that motorhome engine. The heads have different cooling passages around the exhaust flanges and they use peanut plugs. The crankshaft will probably be an HD truck unit and have an 8 bolt extended crank flange.
Old 11-21-2006, 07:02 PM
Inactive User

Default It's gotta fall out

Most of the boxes were built on top of the chassis. So I would think it would have to drop out the bottom. Anything is possible with the use of a forklift.
Old 11-21-2006, 07:07 PM
Inactive User

Since you are mentioning through the door as a possibility, that would suggest it has doors, and is a class C van front.

That'sa BB van chassis, and it is still the same configuration as a passenger 440. In 73 could very well still have a steel crank.

When pulling a bb from a van, it comes out the front. I've done it way too many times.

You need to:
-pull bumper and grille
-all the related fron support sheet metal for the rad etc.
-pull blower motor
-al acessories from the front, ioncludding the crank pully for extra clearance
-exhaust manifolds need to come off
-seperate from trans It will not come out together without a lot of destruction to the body which is time consuming and dangerous.
-use a carb mount lifting plate bolted straight to the crane, or it won't clear.(no hook or chain) Even with that, the crane will hit the firewall a bit as you come out . If you don't have a plate like that, you will have to pull the intake, and put a short chain between the heads to lift on.

It's not bad to do. I've got it down to about 3 hours to pull on the driveway if it goes well. 6 if it doesn't.

If its a class A winni with no van front, it comes out the bottom and will be an industrial type motor.
Old 11-22-2006, 12:26 AM
Inactive User

Dave, I'm not up on RV classification, but I'd say it's an "A" since it's set up kind of like a bus instead of a cab-over Van chassis. The thing's going to be scrapped, so however it is cut up will be okay. The door to the thing is on the pass side and behind the motor, about where the tranny tail is. No way it could come out through that with the tranny attached. I can't see how it would come out through the bottom, since it'd have to slip below the frame rails and looks wider than them at least from sliding under on my back to look around.

BJS, I think a sawzall will replace the cutting torch. Could be fun with that as well!

Stoga, I phoned the guys at Muscle Motors and they weren't aware of an extended crank on a motor this late. In their Big Block book writeen by Chuck Senatore, they didn't even mention extended cranks, just the bolt patterns, unless I missed something in there. Either way, what's an HD truck unit and how does that affect balancing on a rebuild? I've got lightweight pistons on rods already, but that won't matter at first as I just want to get the motor in my Belvedere to set it up for operational use. Rebuild/hop up will come later. Maybe a study with a baseline to be followed by a head/intake swap before complete rebuild to get 10:1 compression.

Next will be selling off the 360, and I'm thinking it'll be worth more parted out. M1 intake, Comp Cam and Muscle Motors ported 308's will probably bring more than the whole motor as a unit!
Old 11-22-2006, 05:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BelvedereII View Post
In their Big Block book writeen by Chuck Senatore, they didn't even mention extended cranks, just the bolt patterns, unless I missed something in there. Either way, what's an HD truck unit and how does that affect balancing on a rebuild?
I don't think it would affect balance, as long as both are factory forged cranks.
I was told some time ago that some of the HD truck cranks had an 8 bolt flange that made swapping into passenger cars difficult, unfortunetly I can't verify that now.
Seeing that you're pulling the motor anyway, take a look and see how many bolts are connecting the flexplate/flywheel to the crank.
If it's just six bolts, then apparently what I was told was wrong and you're good to go.
Sorry for any confusion.
Old 11-22-2006, 09:31 AM
Inactive User

Ain't Hemi cranks 8 bolt??? I'm not at shop and can't look to verify.
Old 01-08-2007, 09:40 PM
Inactive User

It came out the front. I disconnected everything and pulled the radiator out through the front which is set up as a kind of tunnel. The guy who owned it came out with a torch and cut off the bumper as well as the frame mounts then slid the motor out with a hoist.

It does have peanut plugs and apparently the valve cover gaskets were long gone as the oil coated both sides of the block pretty well. Looks like the exhaust manifolds cooked the gaskets long ago and they just weeped.

Lo-po all around, but at least I have another T-Q to play with! Oil pan is up front so a pan and pickup will be first.

I'm thinking of a Holley Street Dominator eventually in the Belvedere, anyone have experience with the clearances on a 440 in a '67 B-body? I'd like to use an M-1 single plane but the Holley seems a lot lower.
Old 01-08-2007, 09:49 PM
Inactive User

Yea Hemis are 8 bolt but what is an extended flange? Do motor home trannys have a deeper bellhousing.
Old 01-12-2007, 12:10 AM
Inactive User

Default not much fun

I pulled a 72 413 from a winnie, with my cherry picker. we knocked the whole house off of the frame at the same time ( in the rain) but i could have wiggled it out through the hole where the HUGE mopar rad was, if the bumper were removed. the engine alone anyway. i pulled the engine and trans ( also a good score if you can get it (loadflight=4 pinion planetaries) there is a big 2x3 tube that runs from side to side, that the tin and grilles are attached to, after we chopped that, it was wet oily cake. with some horse poop to lie in while i undid the tranny lines and speedo cable.
Old 01-12-2007, 01:36 PM
Inactive User

I lucked out with an easy time over a couple days with decent weather. Unbolting and disconnecting things from inside the vehicle and having a pan to drain the radiator and block so no flopping around in oils. I wasn't there for the actual removal, just left the transmission unbolted from the crossmember and they slid it right off when they pulled it.

I did get the transmission, and see that it was worked on at some time. Guess is that a seal dried out at some point and had to be replaced, with only 23k miles on the thing it probably wasn't anything major but you never know. It's got a short shaft and no slip yoke, guess that would have to be changed by major disassembly so for now it's all just sitting in the corner of the garage. Winter's finally coming around, time to just order some parts and wait...