Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 11-22-2006, 07:03 PM
Inactive User

Default Schubeck Lifters?

Has anyone here used Schubeck lifters? If so how do you like them. Also what is everyone recomendation for roller rockers? Ha anyone used the racer brown rockers yet?

The motor they would be going on is a 400 big block with a single turbo.

Thanks.
Old 11-22-2006, 09:40 PM

Cool

I'm using Schubeck hydraulic flat tappet lifters because that's what the rules restrict me to in my class. The best thing about them is that there is no special break-in required. I use to remove the inner springs on my W-2 360bracket engines and was using OEM springs for break-in with my current car before switching. Needless to say, having to swap in the inners or put the race springs back in was a time-consuming pain.

Schubecks are able to withstand a lot more spring pressure and more aggressive cam profiles. I don't believe cams for turbo engines are as radical as some other combos. But with the reduced zinc in many current oils affecting camshaft life, the Schubecks offer some extra insurance. I use Amsoil which still seem to contain a lot of zinc in addition to being synthetic.
http://www.thelubepage.com

I also use to use Harland Sharp roller rockers on my W-2 engines. I really liked the caged bearings on the extra thick shafts. IHRA is suppose to allow roller rockers on "Stock" engines next season so I plan to switch back to them.
http://www.harlandsharp.com/

If you plan on getting some Schubecks, Let me know.
Old 11-22-2006, 10:52 PM
Inactive User

Locomotion,

I checked into the schubeck lifters a few years ago and they where over 600 smacaroons at the time! ItÂ’s cheaper to buy a roller cam set up.

I see on your web site that you recommend allot of businesses around north central Florida, I live in the area too, Longwood. Do you know of a real machine shop in that area that can do a mopar right
Old 11-22-2006, 11:26 PM

Cool

agdude,,
I'm near Daytona.
Unfortunately, a friend who ran a machine shop and has been doing my stuff for several years out of Ocklawaha, FL got into a different line of work. He has downsized considerably and is planning on a very limited amount of machine work once he does get set back up at a different location.
I don't know of any other places off hand that I can confidently recommend.
Old 11-22-2006, 11:46 PM
Inactive User

That’s the problem I’m having, can’t seem to find a real mopar machine shop around here. You would think that an area this big would have a pro mopar shop!
Old 11-23-2006, 01:15 AM

Shubeck makes a "roller" lifter too, its a half round ceramic coated lifter. but you can get away with using regular rollers on more than one cam (although I dont think that happens all too often). Amazing technology, Im suprised that more people are not looking into producing like technology lifters. Too bad they are $600 as stated.
Old 11-23-2006, 01:25 AM
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrxR View Post
Has anyone here used Schubeck lifters? If so how do you like them. Also what is everyone recomendation for roller rockers? Ha anyone used the racer brown rockers yet?

Thanks.
As said, the lifters are pretty tough. They claim indestructable, but I do know another member who hasd a problem with a set. I don't have all the details, but lobes were failing. Very extreme engine though. 9's

The racer brown rockers are decent. I have set in my car. 2 seasons without issue. I've sold 4 sets in canada.
Old 11-23-2006, 02:53 AM
Inactive User

In most cases, the problems with the Schubecks are usually caused by very high lift rate cams, and not so exact lifter locations and angles. Although they are a bit pricey, I propably would use them if I were to build a flat tappet engine.
Old 11-23-2006, 04:22 AM

Joe is a friend of mine and I will be down in Vegas to see him this week end, and pick up an engine I bought. We also talk lifters and valvetrain. I do know that he has modified both his flat and roller x lifters to a more efficient design that are not only a little stronger but less work to make. He is kicking himself for not thinking of this design earlier. (It's a small "machinist" technical change in design. Outside my expertise. But I will forward what I learn after this week-end.) I am also going to dare ask him "Why not lower your price a tad if these new lifters are less labor intensive?" That would be unprecedented not just for Schubeck but for any performance component manufacture.

The real difference in Schubeck lifters is the oiling. This allows the removal of needle bearings that are more prone to failure. As well as far more damaging when they do fail. (It is also why "no break" is required.) Not to say Schubeck lifters are totally bullet proof, but so far the only failures I have seen or heard about are, as Dart said, from VERY high lift cams. But as of today they are the "state of the art" and the best design out there.

Will let you know what I learn!
Old 11-23-2006, 11:28 AM
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrxR View Post

Thanks.
I'm running the RB rockers on my SB for the last 2 summers without incident
and after removing and checking them a month ago - no issues.
Like all roller rockers, good oil pressure is a requirement.
Old 11-23-2006, 02:58 PM
Inactive User

In flat tappet apps. you have to run higher than normal spring pressures.Failure to do so will result in float/bounce and crack the ceramic off the face.I know a local Hemi guy this happened to.They are not indestructible.
Old 11-24-2006, 01:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cudadrag View Post
The real difference in Schubeck lifters is the oiling. This allows the removal of needle bearings that are more prone to failure. As well as far more damaging when they do fail. (It is also why "no break" is required.) Not to say Schubeck lifters are totally bullet proof, but so far the only failures I have seen or heard about are, as Dart said, from VERY high lift cams. But as of today they are the "state of the art" and the best design out there.

Will let you know what I learn!
Oiling? Are we talking about the same "roller" lifter? I thought the extremely hard ceramic face was the "no break" design.
Old 11-24-2006, 08:59 AM
Inactive User

Roller lifters, either Shubeck's or std. require no break-in as lifter rotation is not needed,nor is it possible.Solid tappets require the break-in.
Old 11-24-2006, 10:41 AM

I got that, but when he said no roller bearings, hence the "no break", it kinda threw me.
Old 11-25-2006, 06:50 PM
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave 572 View Post
Roller lifters, either Shubeck's or std. require no break-in as lifter rotation is not needed,nor is it possible.Solid tappets require the break-in.

thats the main reason i bought these lifters....no break in.....plus the fact they dont wear out the lobes on the cam....let me tell you a story about Shubeck....when i was having my Stage V big valve heads built...the builder [ not Shubeck]thought i was running a roller cam...we put the engine together and ran it about 500 miles.....started to hear valve train noise...popped the valve covers and discovered i ruined 8 out of 16 plungers in the lifters....come to find out i was running 750lbs springs....way too much....found out i should run 550lb springs....called up Shubeck and told him what happened and he replaced all 16 plungers for free. I thought that was real nice of him since it wasnt even his fault....I know these lifter are pricey but they are worth the money....ask anyone who has them
Old 11-26-2006, 06:20 AM
Inactive User

how were the cam lobes?
Old 11-26-2006, 08:19 AM
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by benno318 View Post
how were the cam lobes?

what happened was 2 lifters i went through the plungers with the push rods and the other 6 i had cracked the plungers in 4 places each....the ceramic on the bottom of the lifters was in perfect condition and so were the lobes...if these were regular flat tappet solid lifters the cam wouldve been wiped out as well as the lifters
Old 11-26-2006, 12:38 PM
Inactive User

To a R & D outfit the labor savings when doing "which cam with which manifold etc." type work would pay for the Shubecks in short order.
Old 11-26-2006, 09:41 PM

That's exactly why Benno has bought them for his Poly project...

He plans to do five or six different cames. New standard lifters for each would cost more, would create headaches keeping them matched when not in use, all of that.