Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 11-22-2006, 07:11 PM

Default Demonsizzler carbs

I would love to continue using my thermoquad on my 360.
Has any one used demensizzler for carbs and how did it go?
Old 11-22-2006, 10:16 PM
Inactive User

Boydsdodge, absolutely no reason you can't continue using your TQ. All you gotta do is understand how it works, or better still, if you understand carb basics, what the unique features of Carters VS Holleys are. Demonsizzler's site will give you a lot of advice, and others on this site will attest to his willingness to teach. Problem is finding speed-tuning parts for this carb since the metering rods and jets for older Carters (or current Edelbrocks) don't fit a TQ. Plus, if you're going for really high-power apps, the TQ ain't it. Mine works very satisfactorily on my mild 360 Mirada. I intend to build a 408 street stroker next and I'll upgrade to a Weiand spreadbore manifold along with the other cam/head stuff so that I can keep the TQ. If you can find a reprint, Mopar Muscle did an excellent article on building one properly. PM me if you need more info on that and I'll try to give details. I think a TQ is a very useable and streetable carb up to the point you need to support a 450 HP+ engine, at which point it seems as if the Holley design(Demons, etc) or EFI is the last resort.
Old 11-22-2006, 11:11 PM
Inactive User

boydsdodge, demonsizzlers tricks/mod suggestions IMO were key in my using a TQ on my 499 in a LWB truck that ran 7.20 1/8th's. Was that carb optimal for my combo? Probably not, but it worked and was very street friendly. Most importantly, it was DODGE Different! Only one at the track lol.
I say go for it, Demonsizz is the TQ man if you have questions.
Old 11-23-2006, 02:02 AM
Banned

Biggrin

Who ever said a TQ can't be used on high HP cars does not know what they are talking about. I've seen pairs of them on tunnels rams and on top of 671 blowers as well. We have made well over 450 hp using them. They are very streetable and work just as well on low end as on top end. That is what they are desinged for after all and will outperform the holley when set up right. And the fun thing is, they are easier to set up than a holley and you don't have to readjust them every 5 min. And Demon can set one up for you and so can I. No reason to swap from your Tq at all unless your moving from the 800 to the 850.
Old 11-23-2006, 10:38 AM
Moparchat Bronze member

To answer your questions in order;

1. Yes
2. Very very well.
Old 11-23-2006, 03:28 PM

Years ago, I sold my TQ and strip kit to a buddy of mine. He had another TQ and strip kit and needed a mate to go on top of his dual quad tunnel ram.

This was all ontop of a 426 Max Wedge Stage III. That engine loved the setup and would move. So, they do work on high HP applications.
Old 11-23-2006, 03:44 PM
Inactive User

Well, I stand corrected. Although I didn't mean to infer that you COULDN'T use a TQ with a high hp mill, only that most folks would go to the Holley style purely because of availability. 800 cfm TQ's are probably the most plentiful model left, if I had one of the early 1000 cfm competition models it would be another story. And of course I was referring to a street single-carb choked set-up, not a dual carbed blower motor.
Old 11-23-2006, 10:18 PM
Inactive User

dodger1 your original statement wasn't out of line.

Yes some guys use TQ's on hi po applications with success. This cannot be argued.

In the same breath, it can't really be debated that the tq was not developed as a racing carb.
Old 11-23-2006, 10:41 PM
Inactive User

I have 2 Competition series TQs as well as many more and would not part with them for nothing....they are GREAT carbs. All I have are non emissions carbs of course.
Old 11-24-2006, 12:57 AM

I have one from a '76 vintage 440 that I had Demonsizzler put the street/strip tune on. It works great, no bog ever, good idle even with a big cam.

I use it with the stock '76 cast iron manifold on a '68 vintage 440 with 509/292 hydraulic purple shaft cam and headers, all in a '69 4speed Roadrunner with 3.92 gears. It has amazing lowend and can keep the power flowing thru 6,000 rpm. Throttle response is immediate in ANY gear at any rpm, part of that is the 440 but most of it is the carb. And you can just putt the thing around if you want to.

There is a video of it in action in the Street Warrior forum in the "Pretty Cool RoadRunner Holeshot Video" post. It is kind of old so you will need to change the timeframe in the display options at the bottom of the thread to include days past. I can't get the url to parse in correctly here for some reason.

I love the way this carb works. Much more tractable than most Holleys I have had, and WAY more power than any other CAST IRON intake combination I have ever run before.