Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 11-22-2006, 10:32 PM
Inactive User

Arrow skeptical....

Was in Autozone today and I saw a carberator adapter plate for putting a 4 barrel carb on a 2 barrel intake and vice versa.....any opinions on these things??....not thinking about getting one.....just wanted to know why they are there....doesnt really make sense to me
Old 11-22-2006, 10:35 PM
Inactive User

They were neat 25 years ago as a teenager in high school........ and that's about all I can say about them.
Old 11-22-2006, 11:25 PM
Inactive User

rolleyes2

You could you flip it around and make a 2 barrel adapter for a 4 barrel intake.lol
Old 11-22-2006, 11:29 PM
Inactive User

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by go-fish View Post
You could you flip it around and make a 2 barrel adapter for a 4 barrel intake.lol
That's useful if your car needs to smogged and came originally with a 2bbl. (change out the 4bbl w/o having to change out the intake)

Just depends on how keen the smog tech is and how good a job you did at hiding it.
Old 11-22-2006, 11:35 PM
Inactive User

are they really worth putting on?? they cant do as good as puttin on a 4 barrel intake can they???
Old 11-23-2006, 01:53 AM
Banned

Biggrin

They are not made for putting a 4bbl on a two barrel intake. They are made for putting high performance 2 bbls on a 4 bbl intake. I run at a NASCAR track that has very restriced engien rules to keep speeds down. We run 350 or 500 2bbls on 4 bbl intakes. And yes, they work very well for this and they make them out of every thing from aluminum to wood, phenolic resign as well.
Old 11-23-2006, 12:21 PM
Inactive User

well from what i read on the package you could use it to put a 2 barrel carb on a 4 barrel intake or flip it around and put a 4 barrel carb on a 2 barrel intake...
Old 11-23-2006, 12:30 PM

BS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwc43 View Post
They are not made for putting a 4bbl on a two barrel intake. They are made for putting high performance 2 bbls on a 4 bbl intake. I run at a NASCAR track that has very restriced engien rules to keep speeds down. We run 350 or 500 2bbls on 4 bbl intakes. And yes, they work very well for this and they make them out of every thing from aluminum to wood, phenolic resign as well.
And we all know that Autozone is the #1 supplier to Nascar.
Old 11-23-2006, 03:17 PM
Banned

Biggrin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volarewagon78 View Post
well from what i read on the package you could use it to put a 2 barrel carb on a 4 barrel intake or flip it around and put a 4 barrel carb on a 2 barrel intake...
Well you could use them either way, but trying to stuff 750 cfm down a hole that can barely support the stock 350 2bbl wont do you any good. WQorks well the other way around.
Old 11-23-2006, 03:20 PM
Banned

Biggrin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick View Post
And we all know that Autozone is the #1 supplier to Nascar.

You would be surprised. By the way, it's the same stuff you can order from Summit racing, Jegs, Speedway Motors etc. etc.
Old 11-23-2006, 03:41 PM
Inactive User

Wink Try this

Put an oil drum on top of that adaptor. The hole sizes in the manifold still ain't gonna flow any more air/fuel mixture, are they? Ten ponds in a five pound bag.
Ron
Old 11-23-2006, 06:59 PM
Inactive User

hmmmm I didnt know they worked that well....i mean i guess there is a purpose for everything in a parts store but that doesnt mean its any good lol....thanx for the input fellas
Old 11-24-2006, 12:02 AM
Moparchat Bronze member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwc43 View Post
Well you could use them either way, but trying to stuff 750 cfm down a hole that can barely support the stock 350 2bbl wont do you any good. WQorks well the other way around.
I can see that. However, I found a real surprise with 4150 intakes picking up flow from a Dom to 4150 adapter/
Weird huh? But, whatever works.
Like in the MoPar mag you were talking about where they did an intake on the head shootout.
Even th clover leaf helped.
Old 11-24-2006, 01:57 AM
Banned

Biggrin

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumblefish360 View Post
I can see that. However, I found a real surprise with 4150 intakes picking up flow from a Dom to 4150 adapter/
Weird huh? But, whatever works.
Like in the MoPar mag you were talking about where they did an intake on the head shootout.
Even th clover leaf helped.
Yeah. they were using a tappered two inch spacer on a couple those intakes as well with good results.But, these were all large plenum open intakes though, not a small hole dual plane 2bbl intake. I can see where it will work on these large intakes, but not the small stock 2bbl ones. Like you said, whatever works. by the way, the mag using a flow bench wont show the same results as an engine running on a dyno either. Wished they would bother to say that in the mag article cause most kids wont think about that and may end up with something that's not as good as it could have been with some dyno work and the right spacers.
Old 11-24-2006, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by dwc43
.....By the way, the mag using a flow bench wont show the same results as an engine running on a dyno either. Wished they would bother to say that in the mag article cause most kids wont think about that and may end up with something that's not as good as it could have been with some dyno work and the right spacers.
Too right... way too many can be influenced by just one guide down the wrong path and waste their money...
Old 11-25-2006, 01:36 AM
Inactive User

Exclamation Let's face it.........

It is designed as a quick fix for some situations. Do they work? Yes. Do they provid max performance? If worked with a professional setup to max a setup ( They can serve not only as an addaptor but also a plenum to speed up flow) . I once put a stock 2bbl off a 289 onto a 6 cyl. mustang. They didn't make a manifold at the time to upgrade and it ran great. NO, it wasn't my car. A friends.