Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Diesel & Turbo Diesel Chat

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 12-16-2000, 03:51 PM
Inactive User

Question

Help! I've got a 2001 Ram 2500 and have been getting strong diesel or oil fumes in the cab since the oil was changed. Usually does it when truck has been drove and is hot and you start to slow down to stop or truck is jostled. Has been in shop 4 times and can't find anything. Did get them to extend the blow-by hose to back of cab, but still hasn't stopped it. Any suggestions???
Old 12-16-2000, 07:54 PM
Inactive User

By any chance when you changed the oil did you use Shell Rotella T? The reason i am aking is i have heard of guys when they change to this they smell it? Carl

------------------
WWCD2'S HOME PAGE
Old 12-17-2000, 11:27 AM
Inactive User

No, used Pennzoil LongLife as recommended.

Old 12-19-2000, 03:41 AM

this very common all the diesels. it is an aditive in the oil. mopar came out with a tsb stating to use the mopar oil because it an aditive to controll the smell. the mopar oil is expensive. so the choice is yours. live with the smell. the bulk oil we use at our dealership is havoline it still smells. i know people use use dello it smells . sorry
Old 12-24-2000, 06:31 AM
Inactive User

Mopar wants you to use their oil, Cummins says to use only Cummins Blue oil-sounds like a marketing scheme to me. I'm not familiar with the Cummins ISB in the Ram but maintain 100 ISB's in midrange Freightliners and cab fumes is blow-by or leaking exhaust, that new oil smell goes away after some miles. Sounds like you still have a blow-by tube problem due to the rings are not fully seated. If it does have low miles Cummins reps recommended to keep idle time down and run engine hard to build cylinder heat to seat todays harder rings.
Old 01-24-2001, 10:16 AM
Inactive User

My 2500 did the same thing. Smell of exhaust or oil was in the cab. It was the first oil change that this occurred. It stopped after a few days.
Old 11-19-2004, 10:52 AM
Inactive User

Default oil smell

I have been using rotella 15-40 and just switched to 5-40 rotella synthetic. Noticed a smell one day after oil change. Do you think after 16K miles I could still have a ring seating issue?
Old 11-19-2004, 09:30 PM
Inactive User

Default fuel leek...

I changed my oil and filters, and I noticed a stronger smell ov diesel...I checked several times under tha hood, and see no leekz...I stopped on tha slab in front ov tha shop one day, and leff tha motor run...noticed a couple drips ov diesel on tha slab...it continued to drip az long az tha motor ran...shut it off, and it quit...I shut tha engine down, and raised tha hood to find wet spot...NUN!!...Culprit, faulty fuel filter...the sensor on tha FF wuz leek'in at the O-ring, and to make it impossible to find, it wuz dripp'in straight thru(in front ov tha starter) and would not hit anythang under truck, to make it noticeable...No smell now...Oh, I also use Rotella T-40, and still no smell!!...REX
Old 11-19-2004, 10:51 PM
Inactive User

I've always run Rotella in my 91 and my 99, and have never smelled any thing odd. I tried Valvoline once in my 91, and it stunk like crazy the whole time it was in there. From now on, I'll keep Rotella in the diesels, and save the Valvoline for the gas burners.

torch