Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Diesel & Turbo Diesel Chat

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 01-08-2001, 02:08 AM
Inactive User

I installed a banks turbo on my '92 Ram and turned the fuel up some. It gets one puff of black smoke when I accelerate, no problem. It runs good too, but when I pull my enclosed trailer up long grades I have to feather the gas or the pyrometer will go out of sight and the eng temp also will do the same. I am no better off than I was before I did the modification because I have to let off the gas to keep it cool. Note; when not loaded it will go much better than before. Any suggestions?
Old 01-08-2001, 05:32 AM
Obsessed Member

Wink

when try hood scoops they sound crazy but they should improve engine cooling considerably.

banks was a good chice!
Old 01-08-2001, 12:46 PM
Inactive User

Cool

Slant,If you installed the Banks Quick Turbo did you also do the exhaust upgrade and add a aftermarket airfilter(Such as a K&N or Amsoil)? Remember the turbo is a nice add,but, if you did it and fueled up the truck without allowing the engine to breath or exhaust the gasses man your looking for problems. Let me know what other modifications you did to it then we can get you on the correct path to make your 92 fly.Also I saw your other post,it is my opinion if you run an automatic and are doing the mods to your horse, it is a very wise choice to go to a reputable synthetic trans fluid.My choice is Amsoil in my 92, really helps keep things in line.Now I'm not trying to start the war drums with a comment about Amsoil's products,but,when you have the greatest truck and engine combo to ever come along why not protect it with the best.My son drives my 92 now and it has 265,000 miles on it now and still rollin and strollin. REMEMBER DODGE MAKES IT,BUT CUMMINS SHAKES IT!!!!
Old 01-15-2001, 06:58 PM
Inactive User

Wink

Big Red is Right. You need to get the exhaust out faster, and more clean air will help the power and the temps. go to a 4" zero restriction exhaust and you might consider an aftermarket filter box.
I have heard of guys runnin strait 3" with no muffler, out the back and getting by too.

------------------
2001 quad cab shortbed 24valve, 5spd, 3.54's, TST Powermax2,Turboback highflow exhaust,275hp DD injectors. and if you can't DODGE'em RAM'em
Old 01-19-2001, 04:12 PM
Inactive User

Cool

Hey Slant, pulled your mail down, Then till I get a chance to look it over and send a reply(from my business box), You dish me by not looking it over!Well makes me wonder if you really want the help you seek. Remember: THE THUNDER YOU HEAR IN THE DISTANCE IS THE ROAR OF PURE POWERPUKE KILLIN' CUMMINS POWER!!!!
Old 01-21-2001, 05:55 AM
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally posted by BIG RED MACHINE:
Hey Slant, pulled your mail down, Then till I get a chance to look it over and send a reply(from my business box), You dish me by not looking it over!Well makes me wonder if you really want the help you seek. Remember: THE THUNDER YOU HEAR IN THE DISTANCE IS THE ROAR OF PURE POWERPUKE KILLIN' CUMMINS POWER!!!!
Big Red I dont know what you mean about not looking over your response. I read it and sent you a very detailed direct e mail commenting on the points you made. Maybe you didnt receive it. No I really want to fix the overheating and I would appreciate your input on it. If you want I will send you the information again. Thanks again.
Old 01-22-2001, 05:51 PM
Inactive User

Wink

Hey Slantsix i Got your email over the weekend sorry i dont check that one much my wife usually does. to answer your Q. the Banks kit you spoke of did it come with an intercooler and was the turbo size increased with the kit also. i'm not trying to evade you but keep in mind temps will rise with mods but if they are abnormal then you should look into them. how heavy is the trailer and how steep of a grade are we talking about. did you call banks with your problem, if you just spent a ton of money with them you are intitled to some support.

------------------
2001 quad cab shortbed 24valve, 5spd, 3.54's, TST Powermax2,Turboback highflow exhaust,275hp DD injectors,Pillar mount EGT and Boost. and if you can't DODGE'em RAM'em
Old 01-28-2001, 06:14 AM
Inactive User

I HAVE A BANKS POWER PACK , ON MY 2001 AND AFTER I WENT TO 35 INCH TIRES IT STARTED HEATING UP ON THE STEEP HILLS, I AM BOOSTING 37 POUNDS, BANKS TOLD ME TO DOWN STHIFT AND BOOST WILL DROP. TEMP, WILL LOWER IT WORKED FOR ME, OR UNTILL YOU FIND THE PROBLEM. GOOD LUCK.