Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 11-28-2006, 11:09 PM
Inactive User

Default rear wheel bearings 65 up 8 3/4

gday folks, having some trouble getting a complete rear wheel bearing kit here in australia for my dodge 8 3/4, i can get the bearing, seals, lock ring and cup but it all comes individually and the price was a shock to me.

have had a look at the net but all i can seem to find is the green type non adjustable kits for sale, trouble is i want to keep the original adjustable setup as i intend on some hard cornering (racing actually) and i believe this type is pretty much for straight line drag or mild street use only.

anyone point me where to get a couple of stock type kits for a good price?
thanks guys.
Old 11-29-2006, 02:05 AM

Those parts are pretty cheap over here, although I couldnt find new the part that the outer seals go into, the 5 hole flange that gets beat up when you remove/press on the bearing.
Old 11-29-2006, 04:55 AM
Inactive User

Ford 9" have never used other bearing style than the "green" style ball bearing. They are pretty commonly used for cornering too. I would say, and actually know, that the ring retaining the bearing will come off before the bearing brakes. Don't know if I remeber the numbers correctly, but in a press about 8 ton of force was needed to push the bearing and the retaining ring off, and the fiveyears old green bearings were still useable, and actually used in another car too.
Old 11-29-2006, 09:28 AM
Inactive User

The green bearings will work just fine for you. That is all I use any more. And as Dart said that is pretty much the only thing that the 9"s use that I know of. And they use 9" in almost every type of racing. I would go with the green. Just my .02
Old 11-29-2006, 09:46 AM

If you go to dodge.com, you can look up any US Dodge dealership. Then contact their parts department. They should be able to get the correct TIMKEN bearings for you. The same bearings were also used on passenger car Dana 60s.

You can also try Randy's. They are not listed on their website, however, if you email them, I am sure that they will take care of you.
Old 11-29-2006, 12:26 PM
Inactive User

Its basic design makes the tapered roller bearing better able to withstand side loads than a ball bearing. Just because the Green bearing style is good enough for a Ford, doesn't make it the best possible style for a road racing application. Since when is just "good enough" good enough for our Mopars?
Old 11-29-2006, 12:52 PM
Inactive User

That's right, but a billet crank is stronger than a forged crank, yet for most applications the forged carnk is strong enough. You so not need that extra security in the wheel bearings. Or at least others than mopars don't need that, maybe there is something wrong with mopars, and they can't do without tapered bearings. Have you ever considered, that most of the quickest roadrace cars also have disc brakes in the rear? Do you know, what kind of bearings are required, when going with rear discs?
Old 11-29-2006, 12:57 PM

Most have ball bearings... deep groove ball bearings and often a single bearing of the modern kind.

A lot depends on how the overall setup is designed, too...
Old 11-29-2006, 01:04 PM
Inactive User

Not all Mopar rear-disc conversions require the Green bearings. And thanks Ray, yes, when an application is designed from the start with the ball bearings in mind it's not the same thing as replacing the tapered roller which the system was originally designed for. To use the crank example, going to the Green bearing in a road race application would be the same as replacing the factory forged crank with a cast one.
Old 11-29-2006, 06:46 PM
Inactive User

I have seen tapered bearing 9 inches.
I also know of a few guys that dirt circle track with the green bearings and they swear by them, that is the only bearing they will use.
I started the year out with the tapered bearings in my Valiant, but I got rid of them and went with the green bearings. I like them.

But, If you want all out oem, make sure you keep the left hand thread lug nuts too.
Old 11-29-2006, 07:02 PM

I'd really like to hear sanborn's take on this one...

These rear ends are totally foreign to me, with the side thrust (as I understand it) designed to be taken in the centre instead of at the wheel bearing.

I'm sure Benno would be on the pace with all this stuff, as his post really related to being able to buy the things at a reasonable price.

Not that he's immune to listening to other views on things...
Old 11-29-2006, 11:40 PM
Inactive User

There's no thrust taken in the center.

The thrust button transfers it to the other end. Both sides work together.

With greens the thrust button is gone, so each side is on thier own.

I have also noticed that ford 9"'s have tapered brgs. The 9" was produced for many many years, so there was several variances.

In any case, I run greens on my car, and would not hesitate to do so on other cars. Some claim to have problems with them on street cars, although I don't know how.

In the same breath, the oem set up will be as strong or stronger.
Old 11-30-2006, 01:22 AM

So, instead of argueing about which is better, can anyone tell him where he can get the Timken bearings that he wants?
Old 11-30-2006, 09:29 AM
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehostler View Post
So, instead of argueing about which is better, can anyone tell him where he can get the Timken bearings that he wants?
He could call Pyle Bros. Differentials @ (281) 421-5878. Ask for Ron Hill. They should have them or can get them for him. They would definatly be able to tell him about the differences and what to use and not to use. The build rears for every type of racing and street cars.
Old 11-30-2006, 02:56 PM
Inactive User

I think there is no arguing which one is better for carrying the sideloads; it's the tapered timken. But the point is, they are both more than capable of doing the task.
Old 11-30-2006, 03:51 PM
Inactive User

Which one is easier to get though, I think that is far more valuable.
I have killed a few of the original tapered, I might not have known what I was doing, but the green bearings seem to take the guess work out. Things stay cleaner too.
But if they are easier to get, I think I would definately go that route. whichever it may end up being.
Old 11-30-2006, 04:33 PM

The original replacement Timken bearing kit is A7, it should be available at any REAL auto supply and will include the bearing, race and collar.

There once were kits that also included the stamped steel bearing retainers but these were discontinued years ago.
Old 11-30-2006, 08:33 PM
Inactive User

thanks for all the input gentlemen, it is much appreciated. i do intend to stick with the tapered setup however i do thank you for the advice on the greens as well.
Old 11-30-2006, 08:53 PM
Inactive User

Have you found a place to get them yet?
Old 12-01-2006, 01:12 AM

As he is in Australia, I don't think that he can just walk into any American Auto Parts store and ask for the correct bearings.

I tried the autozone website and as expected, they did not list the bearing.
Old 12-01-2006, 01:57 AM

These are 26 bucks US. Each. Shipping would kill him, but this bearing is also listed as a rear M/T bearing so any bearing house (foreign or Domestic) would stock them as it is a stock size.
Old 12-01-2006, 10:24 PM
Inactive User

well i have got some prices from bearing supply shops, but trouble is due to the rarity of these cars here no one has a "kit" so all bearings, seals, lock ring etc have to be ordered separately. its approx $120-$150 per side (australian dollars) and i was realistically expecting to be able to buy a kit for around $US40 and have it shipped.
i have been buying lots of different things from usa lately and most shipping is surprisingly well priced, and the decent exchange rate at the moment helps too.
i also thought it would be too easy to get onto websites and price these kits, but none seem to list them. i have emailed a few places and await a response, may be waiting forever though!
thanks again.
Old 12-02-2006, 12:57 AM
Inactive User

Hi Ben. Everything is good here. I noticed your question and thought I'd let you know about these sealed type bearings that I run. They work good for me and I haven't had a single problem with them. They were easy to install too. Take care and look forward to hearing from you or Ray soon.
http://store.summitracing.com/partde...0&autoview=sku
Old 12-02-2006, 02:45 AM
Inactive User

That would be the green bearings we have mentioned.
Old 12-02-2006, 07:48 PM

http://www.napaonline.com/masterpage...g+-+Rear+Wheel
Old 12-02-2006, 09:04 PM

That's getting a lot closer to his needs. $34.99 per side.

There is only one problem -

Quote:
At this time, NAPAonline ships only to addresses in the 48 contiguous United States.

If you trust anyone from this site, I'm sure that it would be easy for them to get the parts an mail them to you. Then you just PayPal them the money.
Old 12-03-2006, 01:42 AM

I remember buying some bearings through Autozone (had to walk in and special order them) and they were super cheap, like 12 bucks or something. I believe the brand name was Rawhide or some western sounding name and they were made in China of course. I could be wrong but it wasnt that long ago.
Old 12-03-2006, 03:02 AM

Here's a company in Brisbane that may be able to get you the bearings at a good price.

http://surplusbearings.com.au/bearings.asp
Old 12-03-2006, 03:24 AM

JC Witney has the LM104949 cone for $13.99 each and the LM104912 cup for $10.99 each.

Surplus Bearings shows that they have 22 LM104949 cones and 4 LM104912 cups in stock. Again, they are in Brisbane.
Old 12-03-2006, 04:47 AM
Inactive User

thanks so much for the help, i will track down their phone number and give them a call tommorrow or tuesday.
i think someone else is making a rather large markup on the quotes i already have...who knows, perhaps their stock comes from surplus bearaing anyway!