Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 12-03-2006, 08:25 AM
Inactive User

Default racing fuel

I want to try some NITRO in my dirt track engine. I have heard i can run up to 5% in the mix with no changes to the carb settings. Is this safe ? and what can i expect to gain in HP ? I cant seem to find any facts on the
subject or any mixing formulas, can any of you guys enlighten me ?
thanks in advance,, rk
Old 12-03-2006, 08:40 AM
Inactive User

Go to www.pricechemical.com
They offer some nitro based fuel additives along with a book on mixing and tuning. You could also try propylene oxide as a power booster. This stuff works but is some real nasty stuff. Reacts violently if it comes in contact with rust, as in BOOM!. For every percent of propylene, you jet up the same percentage.Dave
Old 12-03-2006, 09:09 AM
Inactive User

Nitromethane works best when mixed with an alcohol (like methanol). Nitromethane does not mix well with gasoline; therefore, I would not suggest using it in this way. At very small concentrations you could probably get away with it, but at what cost? Nitromethane is very expensive and creates a large amount of heat. If your engine is set up to run it, you can make obscene power with large quantities of nitromethaneĀ…it is nice, because you can burn a much larger volume of nitro per unit of air compared to gasolineĀ…and burning larger quantities of fuel equals more powe
Old 12-03-2006, 12:22 PM
Inactive User

Default nitro

I knew i could count on you guys for help, any more pros or cons out there,
thanks again, rk
Old 12-03-2006, 01:45 PM
Inactive User

ever try powermist? They have some very good fuels- they are not cheap but they guarrentee to make more power. I have had good luck with their products.
Old 12-03-2006, 01:47 PM
Inactive User

here's a link http://www.powermist.com/home.html
Old 12-03-2006, 05:37 PM
Inactive User

I agree with MrChemist. Don't try to mix nitro with gasoline---the specific gravity of the two fluids are too different for good mixing. Only try to mix with methanol. Even then, use some top end lubricant.

Nitro is very different from most race ruels we are used to. Not only does it have a very high BTU content, it has its on oxygen supply.

You will be able to tell the difference even with a 5% addition. But, a one step up on jetting may be appropriate.

Don't try any more than 5% unless you set the engine up for it---primarily in the ring and cylinder wall clearance areas. Nitro burns very, very hot and is tough on pistons, rings and valves.

And if you pop open a can------don't let anyone smoke within 10 feet. Use wooded paint paddles to stir---don't use anything that could create a spark.
Old 12-03-2006, 07:10 PM
Inactive User

My dad tried Nitro once in his Modified. It ran like jack the bear, but idleing in the pits burned it down. Those were the prettiest melted Ross pistons I have ever seen. Kinda reminds me of my KB pistons when they melted down packing track, just a whole lot cheaper mine was.
I have ran propylene oxide before, I thionk it was good stuff, just I was so paranoid cause of the smeel I was emitting that I never ran it again. I started 20th in my race and was up to third when I got in a wreck with a guy I had a few scirmishes with before. I dont know if it was my superb driving that night or the propylene oxide, but the finish shows I got a dnf, so I guess it relly doesnt matter. It might have been a confidence booster is all too, I thrw it in because I needed all I could get starting so far back.
Old 12-03-2006, 09:41 PM
Inactive User

A few more facts about propylene oxide. Along with violently reacting with rust it also vaporizes quickly. You dope your tank with it you better use it. If it sits any length of time it vaporizes and disappears out you tank vent. It is also classified as a carcinogen. It's nasty stuff, and is banned for use in all motorsports except for antique tractor pulling. (They just haven't got around to that yet). Dave
Old 12-04-2006, 06:00 PM
Inactive User

Default racing fuels

Thanks guys for the info, i guess nitro probally isnt the answer as it took a lot of doing to get this w2 motor to run right and dependable and im not really interested in messing that up. I like the idea of the power mist stuff as it is compatable with gasoline so i think i will go that way, i guess im a true racer
right to heart always looking for an edge, like the tool man says more power
ah, ah ,ahhhh, never seem to get enough!
Hey cage, we keep all of our melted pistons and broke cranks, smooth cams
and that kind of stuff for offerings to the Gods of Speed, LOL, thanks again
for the imput from all of ya, your the best, rk
Old 12-04-2006, 08:16 PM
Inactive User

I once had a crank out of my ol 360 that I replaced, I painted on it, This crank kicked the _ _ _ _ out of many a chevy. I set it out by the entrance to my shop, and all my chevy loving buddies and customers would see it and it would get them all riled up. It had a couple journals wore pretty bad, but I got second the last night it raced like that. Oh man that was funny. it was a rusty hulk and the words were plain as day legible still, I finally threw it away when I moved to SD. Otherwise it would probably still be sitting outside of my shop. LOL