Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Diesel & Turbo Diesel Chat

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 01-29-2000, 04:55 PM
Inactive User

Angry

I have been fighting Chrysler for almost a year now because the emission flash wrecked my fuel mileage. Like from 21 to 15. The district manager has been supposed to get "back" to me for at least 2 months. The last time I called Chrysler, the guy on the phone said "maybe you should go to arbitration". Why is it when a person has trouble with something new, you have to end up getting in a fight with someone to get it solved. I have allready been through the current flash bit and that is what got me back up to 15. This pickup did 21 and a little better. I want it back!
Old 02-01-2000, 07:41 PM
Inactive User

Unhappy

I had the same problem with mileage as you did, you can read about it in an earlier post. I had the "no power pulling" flash done on mine as someone suggested and mileage increased to about 18 from 16. While this isn't what I originaly was getting it is better. I had a converstion with Hyper tech and was informed that a programer box will be available probably in three months, if this does become available i won't fool with the mickey mouse cummins programs anymore. I also had a conversation with cummins and was told that the emissions flash is mandated by federal law any time a truck goes in for service, most service departments don't know about this requirement so beware of this if you take a diesel in for service..this is how cummins can do this to us and say there is nothing that can be done..we are screwed....the computers are not reverse flashable to the old program according to cummins. It is agggrivating to me that the manual transmission trucks can be upgraded to 500+ ft lbs of torque with the blessing of chyrsler and cummins and us automatic guys are nothing but red headed step children to them.
Old 02-05-2000, 05:41 PM
Inactive User

I agree with your remark about those of us w/automatics. I guess they don't know how to build a transmission that will handle the torque... or just don't want to.
My next truck WILL have a std. trans. but may not be a Dodge.
Old 02-11-2000, 02:53 PM
Inactive User

I agree with you about being able to boost the power on a stick, but my dealer told me that if I put the power module on my truck I will lose all factory warrenty plus the extended warrenty. This sucks. I also am looking into the lemon law in N.D. If Chrysler would have done their homework, they would have realized the 24 valve wouldn't pass emmissions. I wished they would have put converters on the trucks instead of screwing with the pumps.
Old 02-16-2000, 04:18 AM
Inactive User

Angry

Well,the district manager had me back to the dealer yesterday again. The mechanic was almost embarassed. We verified the mileage again,which was 15.3 on #2 fuel on a 150 mile trip to the dealer. He also checked the boost which was almost 18 pounds at 85 miles per hour. The mechanic and I have chewed so much on Chrysler, its funny they have anything left to sit on. I'm beginning to think that it isn't just automatic owners that get treated like redheaded step children,but us 5 speed owners too. This is absolutely the last damned MOPAR piece of junk that I will own.
Old 02-19-2000, 01:07 AM
Banned

Smile

Hey guys, Have a 98(quad cab duallie a/t 3.5 gear) for about 6 months - overall fairly pleased with it ---with a small P.U. camper (8 1/2'-1300lbs) on the back -I realize that aerodynamics will screw up mileage more than the additional weight will - what should I be getting for MPG ?? - driving - 60-65mph - Thanx, Eric ///////////// added ///////////-----Tell you this - am somewhat disappointed in performance - to be direct -- It ain't NO 440!! - have a 77 CC duallie 400 a/t ---that would spank this '98 directly !!

[This message has been edited by Mister Fiberglass (edited February 18, 2000).]
Old 10-19-2000, 11:11 PM
Moderator and HEMI FIEND

There is no such thing as a deisel with a converter. Deisel engines put out completly different exhaust gasses. SOMEONE should develope one however. The automatics are the weak link, unless you take it in and build it up(which can be done relativly easily) the stock automatic isnt robust enough.
as afar as the reflash thing, have any of you thought of scrounging around a Junk yard for a computer that hasnt been flashed? Or maybe get the auto built and find a mechanic that can do what you need to have done??
also what kind of gas economy does the 6 speed +Cummins get..anyone got a clue??I wish they put 6 speeds in more trucks..
my.02
Maxwedge
Old 11-13-2000, 06:07 PM
Inactive User

Lightbulb

HI GUY'S--WHAT CUMMINS AND DODGE TOLD YOU IS WRONG. ANY CUMMINS MECHANIC WHO HAS THE CUMMINS COMPUTER CAN UNDUE THE FLASH, IT IS JUST CHANGING THE CODE IN THE COMPUTER. MY SUGGESTION WOULD BE TO FIND AN OUTSIDE SHOP, AND HAVE THE CODE CHANGED. MY MECHANIC IS A RETIRED CUMMINS MASTER MECH, AND RUNS HIS OWN SHOP. GOOD LUCK.

------------------
Old 11-14-2000, 09:18 PM
Inactive User

nbr , only the dealer can reflash the computer , no outside shop , except maybe cummins itself can reflash your ECM (legally).

as far as the convertor goes , the 94 to 98 12valves had cats , they also clog easily due to the soot that is part of the diesel exhaust , the introduction of the electronic fuel control on the 24v did away wit hthe cat.

if you want to get better mileage you can swap out the injectors to the 275's , you can get them for about 300 from a bosch injection shop , you just need the part number , i gained 1.5 mpg with them plus a nice little hp boost . also loose your muffler and resonator and either install a straight pie or a straight thru 3" muffler.
Old 12-05-2000, 10:38 PM
Inactive User

Thumbs up

I have a 98 24v turbo diesel 4x4 quad short bed and get between 9 and 13mpg towing a 13k lb. 5th wheel. I've never been happier since I got away from my Silverado that gave me a very consistant 5mpg with the same conditions. My only complaint is the destruction of my front brake pads at 12k mi. It would be nice if they put a heavier duty brake system on their trucks, but then again,I guess I can't expect them to take care of my irratic driving.
Old 12-05-2000, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by johnnles:
I have a 98 24v turbo diesel 4x4 quad short bed and get between 9 and 13mpg towing a 13k lb. 5th wheel.
What do you get when not towing a trailer?

------------------
68 Cuda, twisties style
http://members.xoom.com/magnumcuda/sprfish.htm
96 Club Cab 4x4, Cummins 5spd
Old 02-09-2001, 08:55 PM
Inactive User

I AVERAGE AROUND 15-16 MPG. THAT'S A LITTLE CITY AND HIGHWAY DRIVING.
IS THAT ABOUT AVERAGE?

------------------
1998 2500 24 VALVE, Q/C, 4WD. AUTO, 3.55'S
Old 02-10-2001, 05:35 AM
Inactive User

Cool

Greasemonkey,I can sympathize with your distraught with the dealer,been there done that,and while I realize your plight you need to think if your truck is what you really want,,Now I do not want to start anything ,but, Like your self I had the willys of the runaround with the Chrysler roundtable,,In the end I came to the realization that to own the greatest truck and powerhouse combo out there ,you will deal with idiots that want to squander your power,,Now with that said you need to decide if the ride you have is in your long range plans ,then TUNE it the way you want it,,Seems to me you want it ,,24 vavle motor is nothing more than a current computer scooter that needs to be turned loose,so,contact a reputable business(i.e.= BD products , T.S.T Performance,Van Aaken ) and turn it loose.Remember THUNDER TRUCKS RULE!!
Old 02-12-2001, 03:54 AM

when did you have your emmisions flash done.there is a tsb i believe it is 18-11-99 for lack of power when pulling heavy loads.that flash puts back a lot of the fuel timing back into the ecm. this brings back most of the power lost with the emmisions flash and some of the fuel mileage may come back. note this was not a chrysler flash this was cummins deal. there shuld be a gray label under the hood atached by the dealer who did your flash e-mail me the # and i can see if this is the latest flash. also note that most flashes are coverd by the 8-80 federal emmisons warraty. the tsb i mentioned is. i dod a lot of them. mopartec@gte.net