Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > General Chat > Off-Topic Forum > Diecast and Model Car Forum

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 12-06-2006, 02:29 PM

Default AMT 59 Imperial....in pink!

I built this in about 3 weeks, like most vintage model kits, it's pretty simple and easy to build. In the 2nd pic, I took the hardtop that came with the kit and removed the Landau trim. I plan to build a 59 Imperial hardtop later. The roof cleaned up fairly well, but it'll need some low spots filled and sanded before painting. It's just white plastic and silver magic marker right now.
Still, I had a good time building these, and it sure beats paying collector's prices to get a vintage Imperial kit!
http://home.earthlink.net/~hill7jack...impdroptop.jpg

http://home.earthlink.net/~hill7jack...59impuptop.jpg
Also, I hadn't painted a model kit pink since doing a Pink Panthermobile back in the 80s, so I was due! The paint is Krylon #3534 Ballet Slipper which is a pretty close match to Parisian Pink as used on late 50s Mopars.
Prime before using Krylon on kit plastic, it can wrinkle or craze the plastic sometimes.
Old 12-06-2006, 09:54 PM
Inactive User

Looks good Stoga, have you tried the new Testors Lacquers yet?
Old 12-07-2006, 11:54 PM

Yeah I have and I really like them! They dry quick and hard, yet they've never wrinkled the kit plastic like I've had problems with Tamiya Lacquer doing.
I prefer to use them except on occasions where I need a specific shade or color, like on this 59 Imperial, also, I still have a ton of old Testors enamels that I have to use up yet...
You can't beat it for some colors, especially straight black or white, which the old Testors enamel either never dried or stayed soft, or I've had the white turn yellow slowly over time.
I really have to recommend the new Testors Lacquers!
Old 12-08-2006, 12:26 PM
Inactive User

I like them too, I'm even going to switch from Pactra RC Lacquers to this stuff for my Lexan RC bodies. Pactra always dried pretty quick but this Model Master stuff seems to dry harder in less time and bite nicely into the lexan too! I painted that Ram body I put on my E-Pede in their Plum Crazy and flat black, and have flexed the body some as well as had it roll back and forth across the back seat of my Jeep without any paint damage so far! Only problem I had when I painted it was that I was beingf stupid and managed to tiger stripe the roof and some of the "bed" area!