Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Diesel & Turbo Diesel Chat

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 01-24-2001, 01:57 AM
Inactive User

Question

I am new to the diesel community, about 4 days new. Just purchased my first Cummins, 2500, auto, crew-cab, SLT, 4.10, 70k miles. So bare with me when i ask these few questions. I have read the different posts about using synthetic oils. But it seems everyone does it a bit different. One guy mixes a bit more synthetic at each oil change until he is able to run straight synthetic, kind of breaking the engine in to its new friend. Another guy just changes it with no "break in" period. Then i hear others talk that if you are going to switch to synthetic you need to flush your system??? Like i said i am new to this so please bare with me, but when one says "flush" exactly what is meant by that? And is it necessary? So with all the opinions it is hard for me as a new cummins-a-holic to figure out what is best and i have heard there might be a slight bit of leakage when switching because of the physical properties of the synthetic. And from what i can decipher, it sounds like the synthetic is a great advantage. Sorry for the long post, but i want to care for my new "Baby" as best i can. Thanks for the help!!!!
Old 01-24-2001, 12:25 PM
Inactive User

Cool

TCB,,Synthetics are a way to add life to your ride if you choose. Now myself I choose Amsoil's product line .They are compatible with any conventional oil(meaning you may switch back and forth without any problems).As far as the flushing of a system I was refering to the transmission,meaning take a cooler line off ,add a length of hose and clamp it, drop rubber hose to drain pan, with truck running in drive you drain all conventional fluid out. While doing this you are adding some synthetic trans fluid to trans which will purge the convertor of all old fluid.ONLY run truck till trans starts spitting ,no damage will occur.I usually use about 6 to 8 qts of synthetic during convertor purge,yes it does add to inital cost ,but the long run benefit was worth it. My complete truck ( both my 92 and my 98)have been switched to synthetic(rears,trans,transfer case's and motors).If you plan on keeping the truck a while it may be a good investment for you. My 92 now has 265,000 miles on it with nothing more than normal maintence. Hope I could help. GRAB A GEAR,STOMP AND STEER,ITS TIME TO DRAG A POWERPUKE BACKWARDS TODAY!!!!
Old 01-25-2001, 04:52 PM
Inactive User

Question

Thanks Big Red, I appreciate your input. Could you please address the issue of possible seal and gasket leakage with the switch to synthetic. And is it necessary when changing the oil to make the switch gradually, say over the next 4 oil changes? My truck has 72k miles on it, it is not to late to make the switch? If there is a bit of leakage, is that something that could possible fix it self over time due to the synthetic penetrating and saturating the gasket? I am just worried about this being my first diesel and less than a week old for me and i really don't want to have to be changeing gaskets and seals already. Thanks again Big Red Machine, you have made things a bit clearer for me.
Old 01-27-2001, 01:15 AM

Biggrin

TexasCountryBoy,
You sound like the perfect canidate to check out. http://www.turbodieselregister.com/ and do a search on this subject you will find tons of info there to keep you reading about Synthetics. I to am going to switch shortly and I think I am sold on the Amsoil products as is Big Red.

Good Luck,

------------------
1997 Dodge Ram 2500 HD / Club Cab, Cummins Turbo Diesel (manual with silencer ring ripped out), 4.5" Skyjacker Double Flex suspension lift, 36x14.5"x16.5" Ground Hawg radials on 16.5x9.75 Weld Super Singles, dual steering stabilizer, 4.10 precision gears, 33-tooth Speedo gear, Rhino liner, Bushwhacker fender flares, Kanduco grill insert, Confer super skid axle truss, DT Trac-bar, Moog tie rod system, Fabritech Stage II Traction bars, Energy sway bar and end links bushing, protected by a Viper alarm system Pictures
Old 01-27-2001, 04:56 AM
Inactive User

Thumbs up

TCB,, I never had any seal or gasket problems with my switch to synthetic oils,gear, transmission or crankase.As a matter of fact on the Amsoil line, that is one of there selling points( there products are compatible with any conventional oils and lubes).Check for a supplier in your area ,if you can not get the info look at the TDR web and read about the oils. If you need info email me and I'll send the brochures to you.As far as when to do it , gradually or all at once ,its up to you. My trucks were done at once, engine ,transmission and rears. Hope we could help . DODGE MAKES IT,CUMMINS SHAKES IT !!!
Old 01-31-2001, 01:32 AM
Inactive User

Biggrin

Thanks everyone for your replies. I think that cleared up my questions. I appreciate it.
Old 02-13-2001, 03:03 PM

Hi all,

I just got my first Cummins powered truck (96 2500 4x4 5 spd 75000 miles) last week, and it's ready for it's first oil change, and naturally I've been reading thru the posts here to get everyone's opinion on mineral based oil vs. the synthetic oil.

I read one thing in the owners' manual, and wanted to see if all of you that were using the synthetic engine oils followed it. It says in the manual that even if you use synthetic engine oil, you must follow the same oil change schedule as mineral based oils. I was under the impression that one of the advantages of the higher cost synthetic oils was you could leave them in the engine for longer mileage intervals. If you have to change the oil as often as mineral based oil, I'll have to stick to the mineral oils, I just can't afford to replace the more expensive synthetic oil that often.

Do you guys that use synthetics follow the manual, or do you stretch your change intervals?

Regards,
400Magnum
Old 02-19-2001, 10:07 PM
Inactive User

Cool How will they Know?

400Mag....Last week i just switched to AMSoil. I read the same thing you did in the owners manual. But how will they know how often you change the oil? I went ahead and did it. How often have we (as motor vehicle owners/operaters) taken our vehicle to the shop and the first thing they ask us before looking at it is "When did you last change your oil?" I kind of took the statement in the manual with a grain of salt. I think we will be ok. Like I said I just switched to amsoil, but i think after my first 3-5000 miles I will change the oil one more time, just in case the enginflush cleaner did not get everything out. Not sue if this is necessary, but that is my plan. After that probably about every 12000 miles on the oil and every 6000 on the filter. Hope all this helps and good luck!!!!!

Jason
-----------------------

96' 2500, Crew-cab, 2wd, auto, 4.10, 74000
Old 02-20-2001, 06:55 PM

TCB,

Well, I don't really care who knows, I guess the reason I'm asking is because I need this truck to last virtually forever, and I don't want to do anything that going to mess up the durability. But, along with lasting forever, if I can do something like using synthetic oil for extended mileage intervals and have no adverse effect on durability, I'd like to do it in the efforts of saving a few bucks. But, if I can't do a mileage interval with the synthetics that justifies the extra expense, then I'll just stick with dino oil.

Have you noticed any improvement in fuel mileage with the Amsoil? I've heard it both ways, some claim that it does help, others say it doesn't. I was just wanting to get your opinion.

Thanks.
Old 02-24-2001, 12:51 AM
Inactive User

Cool

400,,As with any conventional oils the secret to longevity is still preventive maintenance,,I use and swear by AMSOIL's products,with that said,you need to follow the regular schedule as far as filter removal,,I also send a oil sample out every other change to assure that there are no contaminents in the oil(want to keep both of my RAMS a rollin'),,We all understand what the manufactor wants to have us do ,DODGE tells you one thing,and CUMMINS tell you another , so who is correct?My feeling is the consumer who can stand by his decision with dedication and conviction,, Yes, there is some milage to be gained with synthetics and some hp too(We have the dyno sheets on our race motors to support and back up the statement),,You'll have to decide yourself on the oil,the only other thing I'll babble about is my 92 RAM CUMMINS has 265,000 miles all with AMSOIL and no problems other than normal maintenence and my 98 now has 51,000 the same way,My 98 is bombed and is used hard(I hear the local Powerpuke and Duracrap guys still crying)as a work truck and I do pull with it,, So I hoe you find what you seek DODGE MAKES IT AND CUMMINS SHAKES IT!!! LONG LIVE THE THUNDER TRUCKS!!!!!