Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Diesel & Turbo Diesel Chat

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 02-13-2001, 10:22 PM
Inactive User

Cool

I have a '90 Dodge 250 Cummins Automatic(No Overdrive) 3.0 gear.

My muffler is shot and was considering replacing it with a 2 or 3 chamber 3" flowmaster muffler. Has anyone done this before? How do you think it would work?

JAson
Old 02-13-2001, 10:30 PM
Inactive User

Jason DO NOT DO THAT, the flowmaster mufflers are designed to send a pulse wave of back pressure up against the gases to help (in a gasoline engine)to force the intake charge back in and thus increasing the amount of intake charge. you need a highflow, zero restriction, muffler. look at a walker #21468 or use the Bullet race muffler it comes in 4 or 3 inch models. they are about $30.00

again do not use a car muffler on a diesel especialy a turbine diesel.

------------------
2001 quad-cab 4x4 shortbed, 5spd, 3.55's, TST Powermax2,Turboback highflow exhaust,275hp DD injectors,Pillar mount EGT and Boost. and if you can't DODGE'em RAM'em
Old 02-14-2001, 12:34 AM
Inactive User

Cool

Is there any mileage to be found in a good zero restriction muffler.

My boss drills a small hole at the front and back at the bottom of the muffler. It is to keep moisture out of the muffler.

We drilled a small hole on the bottom of a muffler on my friends truck and there was a cup of water in the muffler.
Old 02-18-2001, 01:19 AM
Inactive User

Biggrin

AH yes,, Seems like its time for a new member to the THUNDER TRUCK club,, Time for muffler to say BYE BYE!! Well thought I'd try anyway,the Walker is a very good choice,, There are a few others as well ,but,keep in mind you will want a muffler that will create no back pressure,,We all do things differently,check the TDR for some input for your choice,, Just remember,once you lose the muffler and create the ANGRY,ON STERIODS,NASTY GARBAGE TRUCK SOUND(as my son calls it) you'll never go back!!! LONG LIVE THE THUNDER TRUCKS!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-18-2001, 09:43 AM
Inactive User

Cool

Would you have as part number I can go by?

Would my truck benefit by upgrading to the 94-'00 bigger exhust system? Will it bolt on?

Jason
Old 02-19-2001, 04:23 AM
Inactive User

Thumbs up

I've heard that Gibbson makes a good muffler, and mandrel bent exhaust. Also, check out banks turbo, my dad is putting the stinger II system on his 97 2500 4X4 5 speed diesel. I don't think the newer systems will fit the older dodges.
Old 02-19-2001, 12:26 PM
Inactive User

Unhappy

Jason i gave you the part # for the walker already, If you are looking for cheap just put in a strait pipe. if you are looking for a total new system then look at Jardines or Diesel Dynamics or Stan Headers. if i were doing it to your truck i would go with a "bullet" race muffler and strait pipe the rest of the way out. it will be heard, but not reveared, by the nieghbors. unless you have 300hp or better there really isnt an advanage to the large diameter exhaust, HOWEVER your truck CAN benefit from a less resictive exhaust ,more than could the newer trucks. look in summit for the Bullet muffler they are about 30 bucks and well worth that.

sorry Jason, It's Monday and I'm swamped already,

the older rucks like yours can be helped by a strait 3" pipe out the back, but i would put in the bullet or something to quiet it down a "little".
Old 02-19-2001, 12:37 PM
Inactive User

Sorry about the missing the part number.

As for my site. I have had it for 4 years and it started out as a personal homepage. Now with over 600 members and 600 hits per month why would I change it and make things confusing? My site is listed on over 500 pages. Why wreck a good thing?

Criticism is always welcome but I would prefer it on it's content rather than something silly like a name. I think my good hit count has nothing to do with the name. It is for content.

Jason
Old 02-19-2001, 09:51 PM
Inactive User

Question Exhaust

Has anyone heard of janettyracing.com? I was refered to their website for exhaust products, but the site address does not seem to work. Just curious if had ever heard of them.

Jason
Old 02-19-2001, 11:17 PM
Inactive User

Thumbs up

Nevermind, i just found the answer to my own question. The correct website address is www.jannettyracing.com.

Jason