Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > General Chat > Off-Topic Forum > Home Improvement

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 12-14-2006, 02:39 PM
Inactive User

Default Tub/Shower enclosure

I'm installing a new tub/shower door, nothing special typical two glass door slider.

The trouble I'm having is I've place the bottom track on the tub and in the center of the track there's a 1/4 in gap between the tub and track. The ends of track near each wall is fine, sits right on top of the tub.

I guess the tub top has a slight dip in the middle, I've never seen it before placing the track in place. Any recommendations? Should I just fill the gap with silicon? Any particular brand that resists mold? I bought some stuff at Depot that's made by GE, it's supposed to resist mold.....
Old 12-14-2006, 02:55 PM

Have you checked that the track isn't bowed? If it isn't, GE silicone will work well to fill the gap. It is generally used to seal the tracks anyway.

I would suggest that you put a shim under the center to take any downward pressure, like if someone sits on the edge of the tub.

The shim can be concealed on both sides by the silicone, so it will be invisible. Try to find a shim that wont rust or rot. Aluminum, stainless steel, or brass will work, but plastic would be totally inert in case of a moisture leak and last as long as the tub.
Old 12-14-2006, 03:12 PM
Inactive User

Sitting on the track won't be a problem since the doors will be installed. Only half the track can be exposed at any one time, so I think I'm good, and the doors hang rather than ride on the bottom track.

Thanks...
Old 01-02-2007, 05:34 PM
Moderate anarchist

Got a level you could put on the tub top? that'd verify the tub top being the problem. Cause if it isn't then it's the track that's bent.

Steve