Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > General Chat > Street Warrior Forum - great street race stories.....

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 09-09-1999, 07:40 AM
Inactive User

This story is nuts and downright foolish, giving me the willies still when I think about it but here it is. This is in 1977.
I'm 19 and own a 69 Coronet R/T 440 Mag. My buddy has 64 Impala 327, some stuff done to it not sure what. Both of us have 4 people in the cars and we're cruising on a 4 lane highway passing each-other and generally going too fast.I let him get up along side to pass me and just keep givin her gas so we stay side by side. By now we're both doin 120 and still goin faster. Then I floor it and she pulls away. My girls screaming for me to slow down as there is a slight bend coming up, I look at the speedo and shes bouncin over the 150 mark. I'm hanging on for all shes worth on the bend not wanting to touch the brakes, slowing down and look in the rearview at my buddies 64 Impala on the far left, 3 lanes over and barely on the road taking the bend at what had to be 130. We all figured he and the other 3 in the car were toast but he managed to pull back on the road and get her slowed down. That was the scariest thing I've ever done in a car and the last time the Coronet saw 150. We both stopped up the highway a ways to clean out the shorts and say a prayer.
(told you it was stupid)
Old 11-21-1999, 08:57 PM
Inactive User

We've all done a stupid thing like that. We were just lucky to live and tell about it. It gives you a scary feeling that we learn from, which is good, but you can't tell the next guy so he won't do it. When I was 15 I had a nice 57 Chevy (sorry). Where I lived it wasn't old enough to drive, but nobody cared. Also it was the mid 60s. I had a car load of freinds and at a steep down hill on a 2 lane blacktop I floored it. I knew at the bottom their was a long but sharp turn before going up. I had that thing going 100+ when I hit the bottom. With it's stock suspension and tires those kids that were with me to this day don't know how close I was to looseing it. Like you said it still gives me the creeps. Live and Learn.

[This message has been edited by moparsofcamelot (edited November 21, 1999).]
Old 11-22-1999, 08:04 AM
Inactive User

HEY CRAZY YOUR STORY IS WAY TOO FAMILIAR TO ME ITS 1974 IN L.V. NEV. AND MY 18 YR OLD BRO HAS A 69 CORONET RT,440 4SPD DANA 3.54s ITS GOT 56K 0N IT ,BRONZE WITH A BLACK VINYL TOP BLACK RT STRIPE AND DYNASTY BRAND WHEELS, THEYRE LIKE OLD CRAGARS WITH GOLD OUTERS AND SILVER CENTERS AND BIG TIRES , ALL STOCK WELL MY BRO GOES OUT OF TOWN AND TAKES DADS CAR SO MY DAD (A PASTOR) IS DRIVING THE RT SO ONE HE TELLS ME HES TAKING MY 67 NEW YORKER TO THE AIRPORT TO PICK UP SOME OUT OF TOWNERS AND THROWS ME THE RT KEYS, YES THERE IS A GOD AND A LITTLE LATER I ALMOST GO TO SEE HIM, WELL I'M ONLY 16 BEEN DRIVING 3 MONTHS LATER MY DAD TAKES A LITTLE OF THE BLAME SO I'M A INSTANT HIT WITH EVERYBODY AND I CRUISE ALL DAY AND NIGHT OF COURSE I COULDNT SHIFT THAT 4SPD FOR CRAP BUT I CAN REMEMBER STOMP IT IN 2ND AND HOLD ON1 INSTANT WHEEL SPIN!!SO I GOT 5 FRIENDS IN THE CAR AND AM PULLING UP TO A FOUR WAY STOP AND SEE A BUDDY HEADING AWAY FROM THE STOP IN HIS 66 MUSTANG 289 HIPO , HE STOMPS IT AS IM LEAVING THE STP AND HAS 10 OR 12 CAR LENGTHS ON US WELL I GET TO IT THERE WAS PLENTY OF ENCOURAGEMENT IN THE CAR ONLY PROBLEM WAS THE 25 MPH SPEED LIMIT ALTHOUGH ITS A FOUR LANE GOING UP HILL,IF YOU KNOW VEGAS ITS ST, LOUIS BETWEEN BURNHAM AND MARYLAND PKWY,SO IM GAINING ON HIM HARD BY THE TOP OF THE HILL I CATCH HIM LAST TIME I SAW THE SPEEDO IT READ 95 OVER THE HILL WERE SIDE BY SIDE THEN THERES THIS PROBLEM A STALLED CAR BACKED OUT OF A DRIVEWAY IN MY LANE(CENTER)I HAVE MAYBE 200 FT.WE BOTH HIT THE BRAKES ..HARD AT THE LAST MOMENT I TURN INTO THE MUSTANG AND MY RIGHT FRONT FENDER HITS HIS LEFT REAR QUARTER(DARN GOOD BRAKES) WHICH PUTS HIM INTO A SPIN AND HE STOPS WAY UP THE ROAD, I SPIN 180 AND JUMP THE CURB BACKWARDS WITH 2 TIRES HITTING 4 FULL TRASHCANS LAUNCHING TRASH EVERYWHERE INCLUDING 2 WINE BOTTLES INTO A NEW CADDYS TAILLIGHTS, AT LEAST I MISSED THE STALLED CAR I WOULD HAVE KILLED US ALL,THE COP ASKED ME HOW FAST I WAS GOING I SAID 25 HE DIDNT LAUGH HE SAID SON THERES 240 OF RUBBER THERE MORE LIKE 55 I SAID YEAH 55s GOOD, WELL MY BRO WAS HOT BUT HE GOT OVER IT AND EVERYBODY LIVED THANK GOD,FUNNY THING THOUGH THE MUSTANG OWNER TRIED TO SUE ME AND WHEN THE CAR CAME TO A STOP ALL MY FRIENDS BAILED SO FAST IT WAS A BLUR SO YOU LIVE AND LEARN .MORAL OF THE STORY IS RESPECT THE POWER ITS NOT WORTH ANYONE DYING OVER IT ESPECIALLY THE INNOCENT...PRO..