Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 01-02-2007, 05:37 PM
Inactive User

Default 360 no oil pressure at rocker arms

my father n law just put in a fresh rebuilt 360 into his truck, it has 40-50lbs of oil pressure but there is no oil at the top of the engine, the rockers are dry,the motor has new cam bearings,lifters, cam, I swaped the oil pump today still no oil to the rockers,I think a oil passage may be blocked, to be sure all the lifters are bad?? the engine has only 40-50 miles on it, any ideas??
Old 01-02-2007, 06:54 PM
Inactive User

Sounds like maybe the rocker shafts are on backwards? If they're not oriented right, you'll have low oil flow to the rocker arms, and the shafts and rockers will be ruined pretty quickly. I bought new shafts for my 340, but they weren't set up right for the 273 adjustable rockers I was using, and I wiped the rockers and the shafts in 20 miles... Don't put any more miles on that sucker until you find out what's going on! You can try pulling the rocker shafts off and cranking the engine over (coil wire removed, just in case) to see if you get oil out of the rocker stand passages.

Clair
Old 01-02-2007, 06:59 PM
Inactive User

hi, he swaped them, that was the problem,he had another set of rockers he put on, thanks!!
Old 01-03-2007, 02:41 AM
Inactive User

The small oil holes in the shafts should point down, towards the valves, they are in an angle compared to the rocker shaft bolt holes. If you drove that much with the parts assembled wrong, you should consider yourself extremely lucky not to peramnently hurt anything. I would carefully check everything, the rocker tips, adjusters and pushrod ends.
Old 01-03-2007, 03:27 AM
Inactive User

I believe the notch on the shaft points toward the crank, with the notch in the rear on the passenger side, and on the front on the driver's side. I could have that backwards though.
Old 01-03-2007, 10:40 AM
Inactive User

The notch is closest to the windshield on the passenger side.
On the drivers side it is closest to the grill. So I guess as you standing there putting it on, it will always be on your left.

I believe there is a headbolt that is smaller in diameter and oil is supposed be able to flow around and past it. I want to say it is the second one. Someone help me out here.
Old 01-03-2007, 11:39 AM
Inactive User

Me and my cousin ran into that problem on a small block chevy we built for his truck. Turns out he'd just adjusted the rocker arms down too much, because once they were all loosened a quarter turn there was oil.
Old 01-03-2007, 09:50 PM
Inactive User

Wrong rockers, shafts, put on wrong, etc, should not prevent oil from getting to the top end. It might not lube things properly, but it should get there, unless the cam bearings are in wrong.

torch
Old 01-04-2007, 12:08 AM
Inactive User

well cutting torch, you may be right, he said the oil is limited or restricted to the pushrods/rockers but still has great oil pressure.he called today and said he thought he solved it when he changed the rockers around, I will check it saturday, maybe the cam bearings are wrong or the machine shop installed them wrong, I thought about the lifters but all can not be bad.He bought the engine from a friend 3 weeks ago who needed some $$, it had been setting on a stand for 4 years or since it was rebuilt by a pretty good mechanic, I sold him all the parts for the motor,pistons cam ect..when I was working at a local parts house during that time, no short-cuts or cheap parts.I never saw a motor that would not oil the top end
Old 01-04-2007, 07:48 AM
Inactive User

You can check it by priming the system with a priming shaft and drill through the distributor hole. With the shafts off, and while priming it, have someone turn the engine over by hand. There will be one spot in the rotation for each side of the engine where you will get a gusher from one rocker stand on each head.

torch
Old 01-06-2007, 11:55 PM
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim13 View Post
The notch is closest to the windshield on the passenger side.
On the drivers side it is closest to the grill. So I guess as you standing there putting it on, it will always be on your left.

I believe there is a headbolt that is smaller in diameter and oil is supposed be able to flow around and past it. I want to say it is the second one. Someone help me out here.
Its the second bolt from the front on the drivers side, and second bolt from the back on the drivers side with the reduced diameter. The eight tappets on the passenger side is also a source for oil leakage around the tappets.
Old 01-07-2007, 03:02 AM
Inactive User

shafts always go with notch down and toward YOUR left.