Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 01-04-2007, 02:43 PM
Inactive User

Default Holley Mechanical fuel pump problems

Hello I am new to the mopar chat site. I have a 70 Road Runner with a 440. I cant get my New Holley 110 gph chrome pump to pump fuel. I had the stock one on there which workd just fine except i am bored 30 over and seem to run out of fuel when i really get into it. I have tried to Holleys 1 carter and a couple of fuel pump push rods. I cant get any pressure from the holley even though it make the Hickup sound when i pump it on a vise. Has any one had this problem or know what can help. The stock pump and push rod work fine when i put them on just dont supply enough fuel. Please help
Old 01-04-2007, 02:48 PM
Inactive User

Well from my experiences with Holley pumps in the last couple of years is that they are junk! I haven't had one that worked right since they started having them made in Mexico. If they did work they didn't for long. JMO
Old 02-25-2008, 01:48 AM
Inactive User

Default Same Problem Here-they're Crap

I HAVE RECENTLY HAD THE SAME PROBLEM WITH HOLLEY 110 GPH PUMPS. THE FIRST RAN FOR ABOUT 100 MILES AND LEFT ME STRANDED. I BOUGHT ANOTHER TO REPLACE IT WITH NO IMPROVEMENT. UPON INSPECTION OF THE FUEL PUMP ROD, IT WAS WORN AND ABOUT 3" INSTEAD OF THE 3.25(JUST APPROX) OF NEW. I REPLACED THE ROD WITH NO SUCCESS, THEN THE CAM....STILL NO FUEL. NEW CAM, NEW ROD, AND TRIED THREE NEW HOLLEY PUMPS AND STILL NO FUEL. INSTLLED STOCK CARTER PUMP AND PROBLEM SOLVED.

I WILL NEVER BUY ANOTHER HOLLEY PUMP.
Old 02-25-2008, 02:25 PM
Inactive User

Holley makes some good products, in my experience, mechanical pumps are not one of them.

This happened in about 1972 NINETEEN - SEVENTY-TWO!!!

A friend bought a Holley pump for his 350 Chev 4 x 4

I bought a Holley for my '64 426 Dodge. I also had a Carter motor drive electric in the rear.

One night, on the freeway, I found myself pulling the Holley off with a flashlight in my teeth, and a friendly CHP telling me, "well be careful, you look like you know what you're doing."

Soon after that, my friend's Chevy/Holley snapped the arm off

Never Never Never again
Old 02-25-2008, 02:30 PM
Inactive User

Now, as to a more direct answer to your problem. any chance the cam lobe is worn out? I would not think you would be having that much problem.

Have you checked other causes?

Partly plugged pickup/ filter in the tank?

Collapsing suction hoses in the inlet side?

Partial blockage in the main fuel line?

Vapor lock? My sixpack car had one of the first vapor return setups I ever say--separate can just above the pump--and it WOULD vapor lock without it.

What kind of carberation you running? I mean, is this a street car with an 800cfm or less, or a 1K hp stormer with a dominator on top?
Old 02-25-2008, 02:56 PM

open up the pump (does it have the serviceable body?) an check the check valves. There are 3, I think. 2 inlet and 1 outlet, they are pressed in and if one is stuck, itll just "pass gas" and wont pump at any useable PSI. HAHA...pass gas....If you run an electric at the tank, itll feed the pump enough to support 110 gph, if the mechanical pump fails, itll pump gas right through it, and it makes starting much easier as it can prefill the carb bowls.
Old 02-25-2008, 07:49 PM
Inactive User

On My Issue, I Checked All Potential Causes And It Turned Out To Be The Pump. From What I Can Tell, The Arm For The Holley Pump Doesn't Begin To Actuate The Pump At The Same Position As The Carter. The Carter Begins To Pump Much Sooner From The "unloaded Position". The Range Of Travel On The Fuel Pump Rod Is Only Actuating The Return Spring And Not At The Point Of Engaging The Diaphragm On The Holley.
Old 02-25-2008, 10:00 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by docerz View Post
Hello I am new to the mopar chat site. I have a 70 Road Runner with a 440. I cant get my New Holley 110 gph chrome pump to pump fuel. I had the stock one on there which workd just fine except i am bored 30 over and seem to run out of fuel when i really get into it. I have tried to Holleys 1 carter and a couple of fuel pump push rods. I cant get any pressure from the holley even though it make the Hickup sound when i pump it on a vise. Has any one had this problem or know what can help. The stock pump and push rod work fine when i put them on just dont supply enough fuel. Please help
If you checked fuel pressure with gauge and it's nill, then ok pump.
If there is enough/pressure then you might wanna check your float level.
Old 02-25-2008, 11:48 PM
Inactive User

A thorough inspection of the fuel system may be inorder.

I have seen MANY older mopars that have had problems with kinked fuel lines.

They make a few 90's after the tank, and run along the rocker panel. Very easy to have gotten pinched by a jack, or a foreign object over the 38 years this car has been running.
Old 03-03-2008, 12:14 PM
Inactive User

Exclamation

Don't be so quick to blame your fuel pump. I hope you have a fuel psi guage to help troubleshoot.

A pinhole or crack in any hose or line before the pump will cause erratic/low fuel psi plus the car will fall flat on it's face at WOT.

A fuel line/hose can suck air but not leak fuel especially back by the tank/sending unit.