Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 01-05-2007, 11:43 PM
Inactive User

Default gm parts in a mopar???

anyone seen keiser transmissions "new" overdrive auto conversion? it just dont seem right putting a gm 4l60 type trans in a mopar. these transmissions have problems behind stock 305's how are they gonna work behind a performance mopar. and if i didnt say it before gm parts in a mopar........... wait has hell froze over??????
Old 01-05-2007, 11:57 PM
Inactive User

gee wouldnt that be like puttin dog poop in a steak sandwich hahaha but i have seen a real awsome distributor converted that worked good
Old 01-06-2007, 12:02 AM
Inactive User

D.U.I'S ARE OVERRATED, TOO BIG to fit in abody v-8's, MSD is better .. more upgradable
Old 01-06-2007, 12:37 AM

When it was first advertised, I thought that it was a GM transmission. I just wasn't sure, as I have not looked at anything newer than the TH400.

At least Keisler has had the transmission reworked. The stage 3 is designed to handle up to 650 ft-lbs of torque.
Old 01-06-2007, 02:49 AM
Inactive User

im not allowed to run msd i have to mask it somehow a machinest buddy of mine made 1 for me in his shop and i use a stock chevy top and a billet bottom made for dodge engine and it cost me a case of beer a little better than the 450.00 for the d.u.i ones and it is sweet
Old 01-06-2007, 02:58 AM
Banned

Biggrin

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderdodge27 View Post
im not allowed to run msd i have to mask it somehow a machinest buddy of mine made 1 for me in his shop and i use a stock chevy top and a billet bottom made for dodge engine and it cost me a case of beer a little better than the 450.00 for the d.u.i ones and it is sweet
We run a stock Mopar dist. with a modded curve and a MSD high vibe coil and an MSD 7AL2 mounted under the dash. Best set up you can have. No one looks under the dash of your cars do they?? lol.
Old 01-06-2007, 03:58 AM
Inactive User

Hmm, lets see, I use Hei, but I use the dodge distributor, as it is better IMO. I just use the module, cheap electronic ignition.
I use 12 si alternators, they are super easy to work on, and put out great power.
I have a trans out of an S10 in my Valiant, nothing like a cheap 5 speed.
I just hate Dodge alternators, Dodges ignition systems, and well, they never put 5 speeds in anything cheap, so i guess thats that.
I really hate the rest of the chevy that I robbed the parts off of, and if you look at it this way, Delco made the alt, Delco made the module and hmmm, who made my trans, Borg Warner I think or is it tremec something, it is a t5, thats all I remember.
Im not afraid of putting something that works on my vehicles, thats why I dont have Ford anything, LOL
Old 01-06-2007, 11:11 AM
Inactive User

My ole racin partner always said, "Parts is parts." If it works and is cheap and gets the job done, what does it matter? As an example, I'm running a Ford 9 inch in my modified. It was free! LOL
Old 01-06-2007, 11:29 AM
Inactive User

deleted by dkn
Old 01-06-2007, 11:38 AM
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by duster360 View Post
anyone seen keiser transmissions "new" overdrive auto conversion? it just dont seem right putting a gm 4l60 type trans in a mopar. these transmissions have problems behind stock 305's how are they gonna work behind a performance mopar. and if i didnt say it before gm parts in a mopar........... wait has hell froze over??????
the 4L60 is not that terrible, it's just an electronic version of the 700r4. t not the strongest tranny, but I don't think a 305 would kill it on torque alone. sure, a big block will trash it without changing out some of the hard parts, but they can be made to work.

plus, I believe I read that the 4L80 is the basis for the kiesler trans, that is a beefy tranny. even if it's the 4l60, I am sure they will change enough hard parts to make it last. They have been getting pretty trashed on fitment issues, so I doubt they want to fuel the fire by selling o/d timebombs to us.

and as far as gm parts in your mopar? you are talking about hacking out your tranny tunnel to put it in, so what's the difference?
Old 01-06-2007, 12:06 PM
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldguyalso View Post
My ole racin partner always said, "Parts is parts." If it works and is cheap and gets the job done, what does it matter? As an example, I'm running a Ford 9 inch in my modified. It was free! LOL
Your racing partner is right. if it can fit or be made to fit, use it. who cares if its a ford or gm part.
Old 01-06-2007, 12:28 PM
Moparchat Bronze member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAM1500 View Post
Your racing partner is right. if it can fit or be made to fit, use it. who cares if its a ford or gm part.
I also agree with one thing for sure.
What ever works, works.
Thats why they call it hot rodding.

I'll keep it all MoPar if I can, but should there be a short coming that NEEDS an upgrade, in a bad way, I don't care if its a VW or Nissan part.
Old 01-06-2007, 04:53 PM
Inactive User

the april '07 mopar action introduces this tranny as a new upgrade for their project road runner. tech editor ehrenberg goes a bit into the background history as well as what it should be capable of. he also puts forth some reasons why its worth considering for a mopar.
Old 01-06-2007, 05:24 PM

I still like the 8 3/4 vs Ford 9 ", but then somebody who runs in 1 to 1 gear, hard to do with an 8 3/4, limited to somewhere in the 5s for gears, yet the Ford has many gear ratios, and go to high 6s (or 7s?), and they have more parts out for them. But I will stick with 8 3/4s as long as I can. Hey Cageman, you got 8 3/4 in your mod? What bellhousing you got between that s-10 5 speed and the 273?
Old 01-06-2007, 06:09 PM
Inactive User

Lakewood bell housing, it is the same bell housing for my bert tranny.

Yeah it is a ford, but I guess the case is the only ford part, and did they even make those, probably not. I hate ford 9 inches, I break them all the time, but like you said, the 83/4 has no deep gears, or I would have one in there for sure.
Old 01-06-2007, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkn1997 View Post
plus, I believe I read that the 4L80 is the basis for the kiesler trans, that is a beefy tranny.
Checking out the picture on the Keisler website, their transmission is based on the 700R4/4L60; the 4L60/700R4 has a large servo cover on the right side that the 4L80 lacks and the Keisler pic clearly shows the servo cover.
Old 01-06-2007, 09:40 PM
Inactive User

for what the keisler unit costs why not just put a gear vendors od in the car there proven performers unlike the 4l60e and if we are gonna put whats proven to work in our cars then we may as well go like 90 percent of the custom hot rods out there and run sm block chevys. mopars need to stay mopars, and as far as ehrenberg saying the unit has merit, of course he does they advertise in his magazine
Old 01-06-2007, 10:45 PM
Inactive User

Parts are parts, the manufacturer write a set of specs for brakes and send them to Bendix to manufacture. Basically all of the brakes are the same. Brembo makes the brakes for all of the high performance cars. That Denso starter and alternator are made in Japan. Power steering units are mostly GM, the mighty Ford rear ends (Dana) are used in Mopars from the factory. Ford oil filters from the Mustang are some of the best on the market. The FMC C6AZ-19542-AB DOT-3 brake fluid, FMC E8AZ-1012A Lug nuts provide more surface to hold the wheels on. GM OES assembly lube are some examples of parts superior to OEM Mopar parts, and the after market is flourishing because mother has dropped the ball on the older Mopars. Enoug B.. S... the Gear Vendors with essentially six speeds is a more cost effective approach to more gears, The top Keisler auto comes in close to six grand.
Old 01-07-2007, 01:52 AM
Inactive User

Well my van's tilt column is of GM birth! Factory! The charcoal canister says GM/Rochester. And many are running BB Chevy rods in their strokers.

Many cars and trucks have the GM steering columns and wheels.
Old 01-07-2007, 02:23 AM

For a completely automatic setup, the GV only lacks TC lockup. When placed in manual mode, the GV can do gear splitting. The best part is that the GV is only $2,500 compared to what keisler wants for the GM tranny that adds TC lockup.

As far as the magazine article goes, it's called advertising. Yes, Keisler paid them to do the article. On top of that, most (if not all) of the article was written by someone at Keisler.
Old 01-07-2007, 03:34 AM
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehostler View Post
As far as the magazine article goes, it's called advertising. Yes, Keisler paid them to do the article. On top of that, most (if not all) of the article was written by someone at Keisler.
e, i didn't know that. how did you come about that information?
advertising or not, the article (and subsequent ones to come) are a worthwhile read if you're looking for a little more information on the transmission. i realize the point you're making, but i'm also saying that when it comes to mopars he really knows what he's talking about.
Old 01-07-2007, 03:16 PM

When he ran the article on the Keisler 5-speed, it clearly stated "Writer: Shafi Keisler". I had been talking to Shafi before that article came out and he told me that he was in the middle of writting several articles for different magazines.

Unless you see pictures of Ehrenberg in the article, he wasn't there and did not write the article. All that they did was put their project on a trailer and sent it down to Keisler. Keisler then wrote the article and took all of the pictures. Again, it's just advertising.

On top of that, you don't think that they are going to write a bad review for the Keisler product, when Keisler normally buys a minimum of a 1/4 page add every month.

As far as
Quote:
i'm also saying that when it comes to mopars he really knows what he's talking about.
He may know what he is talking about, however, when it comes to money, he has been know to look the other way. He is not the only one. All of the magazines do this and all of them have been known to look the other way when an advertiser is going to give them $10K plus for an advertisement like this.
Old 01-08-2007, 03:52 AM
Inactive User

Locals here have installed a couple of 4L60E's in to mopars, and are very happy with them. Of course tehy are beefed up a little, but still they are inexpensive compared to other options. As far as I've understood, they do not require modifying the trans crossmember, adn since they are electrically controlled, you can program them just the way you want. One is behind a supercharged 360, and the other is in a '71 hemicuda.
Old 01-08-2007, 03:41 PM
Inactive User

The advantage of not having to cut the torsion bar x-member (as with A500-518) would be enough reason to CONSIDER the 4L60E if one could buy the bellhousing and hot-rod the rest ones self. Keislers price is pretty steep, though.
Old 01-09-2007, 10:28 PM
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwc43 View Post
We run a stock Mopar dist. with a modded curve and a MSD high vibe coil and an MSD 7AL2 mounted under the dash. Best set up you can have. No one looks under the dash of your cars do they?? lol.
They will now dw..
Old 01-10-2007, 01:21 PM
Inactive User

deleted by RAM1500
Old 01-10-2007, 04:03 PM
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumblefish360 View Post
I also agree with one thing for sure.
What ever works, works.
Thats why they call it hot rodding.

I'll keep it all MoPar if I can, but should there be a short coming that NEEDS an upgrade, in a bad way, I don't care if its a VW or Nissan part.
No way, not in my car.
When my Dart is done, I'll make up a thank-you list to post in the windows for car shows with special thanks to Degenerate Motors for contributing absolutely nothing to the project.
Old 01-12-2007, 04:45 AM
Inactive User

1994-99 Dodge Rams used GM Delco calipers, as do we in our new B and E body front disc conversions.
Old 01-14-2007, 02:00 AM
Inactive User

all the auto companies buy parts then put their logo on them.they all get parts from stamping plants, axle plants ,fram,champion,felpro,japan spain mexico,india,the plant down the street stamps a-arms for GM Mopar AND mazda ,so what's the difference steel is steel if it works go for it.all the steel is checked rockwells,olsons and chemistory so what your saying is the part number makes it a better ?NO the desion and quallity and craftmenship of the part is what i look for .Unless your looking for a numbers matching part whats the difference .whats the difference between a 304 BA mopar part and a 304ba stainless GM part.the part number?
Old 01-14-2007, 02:18 AM
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarebird View Post
1994-99 Dodge Rams used GM Delco calipers, as do we in our new B and E body front disc conversions.
I guess it's a good thing I don't own a B or E body.

I was told that the last generation Ram trucks used GM steering boxes, too. I guess it's a good thing I don't own one of those either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crank View Post
all the auto companies buy parts then put their logo on them.they all get parts from stamping plants, axle plants ,fram,champion,felpro,japan spain mexico,india,the plant down the street stamps a-arms for GM Mopar AND mazda ,so what's the difference steel is steel if it works go for it.all the steel is checked rockwells,olsons and chemistory so what your saying is the part number makes it a better ?NO the desion and quallity and craftmenship of the part is what i look for .Unless your looking for a numbers matching part whats the difference .whats the difference between a 304 BA mopar part and a 304ba stainless GM part.the part number?
There are so many things wrong with this post that I won't waste my time.