Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 01-11-2007, 02:57 PM
Inactive User

Default Supercharger store?

A Couple of questions....

Has anyone on this forum installed a kit from the supercharger store? I am just kicking some ideas around. In particular I am thinking of install their kit on my 380 magnum crate motor.

Just like this guy.

http://www.thesuperchargerstore.com/ttostanoski.html

I am curious about a maximum for safe power levels with a "stock"( ? ) bottom end in the crate motor. I think I recall someone on this forum questioning the integrity of a small block bottom end at increased power levels.

They say you can expect a 40 % increase in hp. 140% of 380 is 532. what do you guys think.

P.S. It wouldn't let me start a new thread in the induction section?
Old 01-11-2007, 04:11 PM
Inactive User

I plan on doing a procharged 440 this spring.
I had a blown mustang that made great power.
Just watch your timing and buy a A/R gauge.
Old 01-11-2007, 04:20 PM
Inactive User

Be sure to post pictures and feedback. Should be sweet.
Old 01-11-2007, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68Coronet_PE
P.S. It wouldn't let me start a new thread in the induction section?
That is correct. The induction section is in the Tech Archives. The archives are locked. Threads with great technical information get moved or copied there by myself or the admin. Once a thread is there, it can no longer be posted to.
Old 01-12-2007, 05:40 AM
Inactive User

It will probably last three years if you only go to the track twice a year. I personally don't think the OEM small block will survive under hard launches with that kind of power. I have two 340 engines and a 360 so I am not knocking the small block just doing a reality check. The people I know who were tryin to make power with small blocks are now running "after market" big blocks so they can race several seasons without breaking parts. A 380 HP crate motor is
near its maximum out level. What will be done to decrease compression, and the cam duration on the crate motors do not appear to be blower friendly. The best approach would be to build a motor to take advantage of the blower. The mighty Hemi only made 425 HP and thats before the HP rating was changed, just because some magazine article says you can clean and paint a 318 and make 400 HP realize it aint so.
Old 01-14-2007, 10:46 PM
Inactive User

I am also looking a procharger setup. A buddy of mine has one on his stroked 383.

As streetrebel mentioned, the Air Fuel mixture is the thing to watch. I see that it is difficult to get the A/F in the proper range through out the ful RPM range.
Here are my thoughts on the short block for my Big Block build
8.5 compression, forged pistons and good rods.
Aluminum Main caps and a girdle
Short fill on the block

You can run some boost with your (if I remember correctly, crate engine has 9.5 compression, cast pistons) You will likely need to get your carb modified to be set up for a blow thru application. Your Camshaft would not be appropriate for this type of application too.
A purpose built shortblock would be the best solution and allow you to run more boost and I think it would survive.
Old 01-15-2007, 03:31 AM
Inactive User

I would not worry about the block at reasonable (street able) boost levels, but the cast pistons and stock rods need to be replaced. I would recommend forged pistons, H-beam rods, ARP main studs/head studs/and rod bolts. The stock crank is probably fine if you keep it under 7000 RPM. While you’re in motor, might as well stab in a cam that is better suited to a blower application.

I feel like I tack this onto every post…but, why should this one be any different . I have 8+ years on a 360 with a 0.030 over stock block, stock crank, and stock rods…over 550 horse and 10 second quarter mile times. So, yes those stock parts can handle the power (with good fasteners), but I would not recommend it. The block should be fine to 500 hp without issues (and to about 600 hp with a girdle and some praying). Good luck with your bui
Old 01-19-2007, 09:42 PM
Inactive User

keep us posted

sounds like a cool project ....

hmmmm ... I bet a blower would fit on my 440 ....

Old 01-20-2007, 03:24 PM
Inactive User

If your going to run on cast pistons also install an egt gauge in both headers on #4 and #8 header tubes. this will allow you to make sure your not melting a piston. Also you should use a wide band A/F gauge this will also be better to help keep that motor running. The best way to weeken a rods is to allow detination to happen so eliminate the chances and you'll be better off.

Joe