Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > General Chat > Street Warrior Forum - great street race stories.....

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 03-25-2000, 08:35 AM
Inactive User

I am in a bickering mood now so I figure why not blow off some steam. Lately, I have become fed up with the most annoying groups auto enthauiasts: idiot Chevy owners. I'm not dissing all of them, as good friend of mine owns a tubbed, blown, etc. '88 S-10 454. This type of guy doesn't bother me. The reason why is because this fellow is mature enough to acnowledge all types of hotrods (except for Jap's Crap,thankfully) and accept the fact that there ARE other types of fast/hot cars out there.
The group I can't stand is the group of Chevy enthauiasts that fill 90% of Super Chevy's membership. I live in Chevytown, and every other "muscle car" down here is a 68-72 Chevelle.
There is some air headed redneck around here that is so over-confident in his RAGGED 350 72 Nova, he claims he can smoke ANY car in town. This thing has been thru FIVE motors. I wouldn't mind the p.o.s. as bad if it weren't for the owner. For example, here is the level of this guys ________(fill in what ya want here). After I had acquired the money to buy the car of my affections (a '70 Charger R/T 440 Six Pack, lemon twist with black top), I showed up where the guys hang out. He just happened to be there, and I told my friends that I had just bought the Dodge. After I showed them the picture of it, the first thing he said was, and I quote, "I got somethin' that'll beat that". You can imagine the long argument that this started. I was outgunned in every corner. There are only 2 MoPar guys in town, and I am the only one fortunate enough to own one. So everyday (until my car arrived from Texas), I would put up with a bunch of B.S. from all these 350 ass kissers (literally)about how the 350 "is the best motor ever built". They would make arguments about how slow Mopars were, so I'd bring old E.T.'s showing how the "almighty" 454 was always smoked by the 440 or the 426, and all I would get was "Those numbers don't mean anything".
Well, anyway, this did turn out well. The 350 in the redneck's Nova froze up. He mentioned that the block busted. Suprised? Why should he be? And well, my Dodge has yet to fail me. It is one of the most dependable/reliable musclecars in town. Yet the Shivvy guys make any excuse to diss on it. One of them is claiming that it doesn't have "positrac", because the right rear wheel spins first when I gas it.(It does have the 8 3/4 rear,and I am sure it has sure-grip) So now the car is crap by their definition. (The jealousy is so thick down here you could poke it with a fork) And one of the more memorable lines I've heard was while we were crusing in my (other) friends beautiful '66 Mustang. (Don't give me all that crap about it not being a Chryler, guys, remember what I said earlier?) He said, "My Nova is sitting at my house,it won't run anymore, now Josh has a faster car than me". "Now"?? This guy expects his ragged 350 to outrun a perfectly good 440, HAHA!
I hate to sound like I'm talking about how great my car is. I am just pissed at how these guys are so close-minded and immature that they take the chance to diss on Mopar anytime that one shows up and makes them realize how slow their car actually is.
One unsuprising note is that everytime I bring up the 340 in a comparison about the 350, they ignore me and immediatly change subject. And lately, when I bring up the new Hemi 300, and tell them its a 5.7 liter, the first thing out of their mouth is "350??!!" Then I go on to tell them about it being a 353 cu.in., then they start to talk about how Chrysler is trying to be like Chevy. Then when I tell them that Chrysler built a 350 nine years before Chevy did, they bawl up and drop the subject.
But then at one point or another, we get into a conversation about their dream cars, and guess what it usually is? Not a '70 LS-6 Chevelle, NOT a '69 Camaro RS/SS convertible, NOT a '57 Chevy 283 Fuelie, but a 1970 Plymouth 'Cuda. One of these guys even said he would like to buy 2 and keep one original, and install all-Chevy running gear in the other. (true story) I immediatly said to him, "You like the 'Cuda's because they were quick, handled excellent, were rock solid, dependable, and all out fast, why would you screw that up by dropping a Chevy motor in it?". Guess what his awnser was: "shut-up".
I guess they really do like(or at least respect) MoPar musle.........
Old 03-25-2000, 07:19 PM
Moderator and HEMI FIEND

Move out of the south. actually that wont fix it, just stay away from people with who agree there sisters are "Good Lookin".
Those type of people are every where, and they usually drive chevies and or have 10 cars that dont move...
stay clear of them
Old 03-26-2000, 04:02 AM
CrAzYMoPaRGuY !!

That's funny. Did you read my thread in Rumors and gossip? I have the same problem with my neighbour.He's 38 going on 2.
His truck is a BULLET! His truck goes 10.82 according to his desktop dyno. His truck is easily 10's according to his buddy, who has been in racecars all his life.
Well, why did my HYDRAULIC cammed 440 Demon beat his truck so bad I think I could have pulled it sideways faster?
I raced him on the way to the Langley Good Times Cruise In. He would never race me, so when he got stuck at a light, I pulled beside him.
On the green, I pulled him so bad I felt sorry for him. Oh, yeah, lots of BOTH of our friends were right behind us at the lights and watched the whole thing! He didn't talk to me for two weeks, and to this day he still says behind my back that neither one of us could beat the other by TOO much. Yeah right.
Now he won't race me again for any reason.

------------------
Tubbed 40 Plymouth Coupe
Tubbed 71 Demon
1989 Shelby Lancer
1978 BB ClubCab
1973 Scamper 440 MHome
Old 03-26-2000, 04:05 AM
CrAzYMoPaRGuY !!

By the way JR - NICE CAR!! Two of my best friends own 440 4 speed 6 pack R/T Chargers. They are absolutely GORGEOUS.
Move to Langley, B.C. You'll be appreciated.
Old 03-26-2000, 05:07 AM
Inactive User

Thumbs up

One thing I never forget to rub in chebbie guys' faces, especially corvette lovers, is how the 79 Lil' red express, a TWO TON TRUCK with a 360 out ran the corvette and trans am. That usually shuts them up. The lil' red is also something to rub in furd lightning lovers' faces, since lil' red out ran them all WITHOUT A SUPERCHARGER.

Buy the way, people like this are everywhere! They talk bad about other companies even though they have never owned one of their vehicles, and never admit when another vehicle of another brand is faster than their's. There is always an excuse for the loss: I smoked the tires, you jumped the gun, etc...

------------------
86 D150: 2WD: 360(currently being restored)
85 ramcharger: 4x4: 318
94 sundance: 2.2L
Old 03-26-2000, 07:55 AM
Inactive User

I totally agree! Especially on the part about people over looking other hotrods. I have a love for all cars. Especially mopars. Although I hate to admit it that Porsche turbo that is always on that banner (everyone sees that banner right?) would probably spank a 440. In the straits and the turns.
-Mike
Old 03-26-2000, 08:33 AM
Inactive User

It's nice to see that I'm not the only Chrysler guy that has had to put up with this B.S.
Something odd though, at one point or another, I've caught all the Chevy guys drooling over my Dodge. And get this, the idiot with the ragged Nova has asked to drive my car at least five times. Just so he can see what kind of E.T. he can get with it (right, even he likes my car, apparently).We had a race set up for this summer, but his Nova definatley won't be able to make it. (suprised?, naaa).
I just don't understand these people. They are so wrapped up in their brand, that they make any excuse to diss on a non-GM product. Although I am a big MoPar lover, I do have the manners and edicate to talk to the owner of a nice '69 Camaro or '65 Mustang without saying "Your car is a piece of crap just because it isn't a MoPar." All hot rodders (well, almost all) are just out their to have fun with a classic car. It seems like most Chevy owners around here are out to make everyone think that their car was built by God, and therefore, is the fastest, coolest, slickest car in the world.
It's not just Chevy owners. There are a few people like this for every brand. Like those Honda Civic (a.k.a.rice rocket) drivers that claim they can outrun Vipers just by adding a huge exhaust tip and a cheap set of wheels. When will these people grow up??...
Old 03-26-2000, 09:06 PM
Inactive User

The ones that get me are the guys that buy an economy car and think that since it has a 4 valve twin-cam engine it is better, faster and will last longer than my old V8 Chrysler. A friend of mine has a Geo Prism with an automatic no less and claims he can take my 79 LeBaron, another friends 68 Ford truck (w/428) and can keep up with another guys 97 'stang with a 302. This car has a bad habit of blowing black smoke upon hard acceleration (like when he is trying to catch my m-body) but he attributes that to carbon buildup. Yeah, whatever... the other kicker is he sez my 318 is an oil burner with about 100 miles of useful life cause everyone knows that chrysler V8's don't last like a modern rice grinder motor, yeah, whatever part II... the weird part is my 318 uses about a pint every 1500 miles which I thought was good... hmmm, guess I don't know what I'm talking about. cruzerjd
Old 03-26-2000, 10:32 PM
Inactive User

The guy is running a stock engine, no nitrous or anything. That is what is so amusing. He feels that his stocker 125hp econobox will take anything. Heck, he even tried to race my motorcycle. Said he could take it off the line and on the top end. I gave him a go and by the time I was in second, he was a full 1/8th behind. waited at work for about a minute before he came screeching in, black smoke a boiling. and said he was trying to "take it easy on the car" boo-hoo. This guy is just another "my car is the best and yours sucks" type of guy. He even claims an old car will not last more than 100 k. Heck,mine has 110 k and is still rolling along pretty well even though I do push it now and then. cruzerjd
Old 03-27-2000, 12:20 AM
Inactive User

I'm glad someone else mentioned the 16V DOVC people, I knew one of these people too when I was in high school. He had an older style eclipse with the 16V engine with 200,000 miles on it!(it was in the shop about one a week having something fixed) He claimed it would outrun any car at school, including a furd taurus SHO, my friends 65 mustang with a built 289, another friend's 79 trans-am, and many other mustangs, etc... Of course he was never willing to race even though all the trash he talked.
A lot of rice-rocket people make me laugh too. They put on a K&N airfilter and a exhaust tip and claim they got a 50 HP gain from it.
So, if you can't walk the walk, don't talk the talk (looking at my vehicles you obviously will not catch me talking trash!)

------------------
86 D150: 2WD: 360(currently being restored)
85 ramcharger: 4x4: 318
94 sundance: 2.2L
Old 03-27-2000, 04:57 AM
Addicted Moparchat Member

ya'll might get a good laugh out of this one... a guy i know who has a 80 something p.o.s. le baron with the 2.2 has added the funniest "make fun of ricers" add on i've seen. he took a folgers coffee can and welded it on his exhaust as a tip. didn't paint it or anything, just left the folgers label on there.
Old 03-27-2000, 10:53 AM
Inactive User

Thumbs up

Now that's a real hoot Rufus! Nothing like a smartass with a sense of humor. I LOVE it!

------------------
1970 392 Hemi Cuda
Old 03-27-2000, 11:42 PM
Inactive User

Biggrin

I've been there ram1500.
Recently, while I was sitting at a stop light, a kid in a '92 Sunturd pulled up next to me. He heard my engine idling and proceeded to rev the daylights out of his 4 banger. I couldn't help but bust a gut laughing at him.
Something odd though, that thing sounded more like a vaccum cleaner than a car motor. I'm serious, it sounded EXACTLY like my 12 amp Eureka dirt sucker. Hmmmmmmm, could Pontiac be copying designs from Eureka??? I smell a Dateline investigation coming.....
Old 03-28-2000, 12:24 AM
Moderate anarchist

Here's a funny one. A couple of high schoolers in a riced out Toyoter, I think, were getting zippy with me. So I just put the hammer down and dusted them. Stopped for the red light and they caught up to me. They were checking my ride out trying to figure out how I beat them, mind you it's a stock looking as can be on the outside, quiet too. Finally they notice the small "turbo" stickers on the side. ain't boost great? Running 12 psi on a used 88 2.2 in my 89 VOYAGER haha, eat mopar dust. I really need some low end though.

Steve
Old 03-28-2000, 05:21 AM

sorry to get off topic, but what's the wildest sleeper ya'll have seen? Thunderstruck made me think of that with his ride. i absolutely love sleepers. it's no fun if you advertise everything you have. anyway, the wildest ones around here are a 1990 volvo wagon with a 5.0 and a 88 mazda truck with a hot 350. both look dead stock except for the v-8 growl.
Old 03-28-2000, 06:44 PM
Inactive User

There used to be a guy here in Eugene that had a 280Z with a pretty wild 350 Chev(yuck) that was set up really well. He used to roadrace the cr and it did really well. Then there's the dude on the board here with the V10 'cuda, now that's what I call wild. cruzerjd
Old 03-28-2000, 08:30 PM
Inactive User

Thumbs down

What I don't like is the stock four banger cars that have the loud mufflers with the 4" tailpipe sticking out. These cars sound like they're taking a s**t when they go down the road!

The other thing these guys don't realize is that if you rev the hell out of anything that has a clutch and let it go it'll take off hard no matter what it is. It's just that you're never in the right place to actually show them what real HP does in the long run.

------------------
99' Dakota Clubcab SLT 2wd in Metallic Red and Driftwood two-tone. It has the 318/auto, 3.55 ltd. slip, tire and handling package, pretty much all other options. No specific mods, YET!
Old 03-28-2000, 08:51 PM

when i was a little kid, i used to catch those big bumblebees and put them in cans and then shake them up. they'd get pissed off and buzz all around in there. funny how that's exactly what those 4 bangers sound like, just a little louder.
Old 03-28-2000, 10:39 PM
Inactive User

Unfortunately my town has been taken over by bumble bees. There are very few hopped-up american cars running the streets where I live. Me and my buds are mopar freaks. A few 5-Slows but, that's it. If I wanna check out some Mopar action I have to cruz on over to my local drive in. There are a few nice ones that come out on Sat. nights. I hate rice!

"Imports=Domestic Food"
Old 03-28-2000, 11:49 PM

ha ha... they were the ones that don't have stingers ram1500... there's two kinds, at least the ones that live around here. they have yellow dots on their head and usually burrow holes in wood, like my house. the other ones have all black pointier heads and have stingers. i stayed clear of those...
Old 03-29-2000, 01:53 AM
Moderate anarchist

Beware the MoPar 4 cylinder cars, especially if they have a "grille" in the hood or a turbo sticker on them. They can be fast. Ask the clown in the toyoter riceracer i whupped with my turbo...minivan.

Steve

------------------
38 Plymouth P6
65 Plymouth Barracuda
87 Dodge Diplomat
89 Plymouth Caravan
96 Dodge Neon

"No quarter asked, none given" - Thunderstruck Racing
Old 03-29-2000, 01:59 AM
Moderate anarchist

Oh yeah, I guess I ought to mention my normal (when gas is less than $1.30/gal for premium) daily driver. An 87 Diplomat with all the cop goodies and a warm 360. That usually gets the boyracers when they feel frisky. I just wish it got better mileage, I drive 150 miles a day to work and back. Right now I drive the Neon, hey 36 mpg beats 19 anyday. It's zippy enough but I really want to slip a 2.4L in place of the 2.0. I know where to get a header made to fit a turbo to this engine and I have a spare turbo. Some forged pistons, a bit of fuel delivery redesign and I'm set. 5-6 psi ought to do the trick.

Steve
Old 03-29-2000, 06:08 PM
Inactive User

Amen to this whole string. This is my first post, and it was this string that got me to register. I have two mopars, a '91 Spirit R/T I drive every day and a '69 Charger R/T. Both of them are about as stock as you can get. If you can believe it the Spirit is faster. So That is the car that I love to beat two kinds of people in. First, the rice rocket P.O.S. people who are really cocky, and second the people in the new mustang GT. I am proud to say only once have I lost and it was too a supercharged mustang that I didn't realize was supercharged until he spanked me. I have to say that the looks you get after beating a rice rocket or a V8 mustang just reinforce my love for MoPar.

------------------
Hard_ChargerR/T

'69 Charger R/T
'91 Spirit R/T
Old 03-29-2000, 10:00 PM
Inactive User

Cool

Welcome to the board H.C. I agree with the rice rocket thing. Once there was a guy in a new Integra crusing down the highway behind me. He all of a sudden decided to put that "old domestic car" to shame. He proceedes to pass me in the left lane, and I was feeling spunky that day so I showed him what our "dated, inefficient, gas guzzling engines" can do. I don't have to tell you how it turned out, but the guy does avoid my R/T whenever possible now....
By the way, your Spirt is faster??? That doesn't sound right to me. Is your Spirt hopped up, or is your Charger runnin on six cylinders? I drive late model Beamers often, and my '70 Dodge will blow them all away.
Once again, welcome to the board.
Old 03-30-2000, 12:05 AM
Inactive User

Thanks for the welcome. Actually the Spirit is faster, I remember reading an article in Car and Driver where they said that The Spirit R/T was the fastest four door sedan in the world for '91, faster than the Taurus SHO and any beamer, in any case they had a 0-60 time of 5.9 and a quarter mile time of 13.9 which I know my Charger doesn't run right now. I think stock anything but a hemi is slower, but I am just going on seat of the pants thrill, I could be wrong. Also it seams most people say the same thing until I take them for a ride. Thanks again for the welcome. =)

------------------
Hard_ChargerR/T

'69 Charger R/T
'91 Spirit R/T
Old 03-30-2000, 12:44 AM
Inactive User

Thumbs up

I stand corrected. I looked in my "Charger, Muscle Portfolio", and it states the following for 2 '69 Charger 500's, which are said to be the fastest. Both are Hemis, one a four speed and one an auto.
auto/4-speed
0-60 5.7/5.7
1/4 mile 13.92/13.68
top speed(1/4) 104.5/104.8

That proves the Spirit is faster. I'll bet you've gotten some interesting excuses as to why that 9 year old, 4 door sedan outran all those ponycars and rice burners.
Old 03-30-2000, 02:11 AM

just out of curiosity what's a used spirit r/t go for? are they hard to find?
Old 03-30-2000, 04:02 AM
Inactive User

Haha I do get some interesting responses when they get beat. I even had one cocky guy in a rice rocket with about every trick you can think of, included a cosmetic roll cage, completely blow through a stop sign to get away from the humiliation he had just suffered. Spirit R/T's are pretty hard to find, there were only about 1300 made in '91 and 91 made for '92 and that is it. I got really lucky, my dad and I flew out to Nebraska (from California) to get this one over the summer. It only had 59K on it and was in almost show room condition and I got it for $5k. That seems to be about the selling point maybe a little higher but they aren't usually in the condition that I found mine in. I recently became aware of the car when my Dad was looking for a replacement for his '91 Plymouth Accliam. =) some replacement ehh.

------------------
Hard_ChargerR/T

'69 Charger R/T
'91 Spirit R/T
Old 03-30-2000, 05:14 AM
CrAzYMoPaRGuY !!

How fast is a 1989 Shelby Lancer with a 2.2 intercooled turbo and a 5 speed supposed to be?
My wife has one, and it seems awfully quick for a 4 banger!

------------------
Tubbed 40 Plymouth Coupe
Tubbed 71 Demon
1989 Shelby Lancer
1978 BB ClubCab
1973 Scamper 440 MHome
Old 03-30-2000, 05:57 AM
Inactive User

I believe they ran low 15s to high 14s stock, but dont quote me on that.

Bryan

------------------
68 Road Runner, 32,000mi.
*440 .30 over
*.528 lift Mopar Purple Shaft cam
*Ductile Rockers
*TCI 3000 stall
*Richmond 4.30 gears
*Edelbrock Torker 440 intake
*830 Holley Double Pumper
*Cheetah Manual Shift Valve Body.
*Stock 906 Heads