Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > General Chat > Street Warrior Forum - great street race stories.....

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 07-05-2000, 07:05 PM
Inactive User

Edmonton, Alberta...mine anyway. Thursday night, out looking for some action in the VIP...Just finished installing 3500 stall and a 4.10 locker last weekend, and fixed a wicked vacuum leak from the carb gasket...new 295/50’s, new front shocks, and clamped front leaf segments...in my effort to hook...it worked!

Scored a drag with a early 80’s flamed 350 auto vette...absolute thrashing, had em covered by at least 6 by the time I hit third when I shut it down...walked him hard out of the hole and kept walking...pulled over chatted, turns out, he claims, it’s a 350 horse 350 with 2800 stall, 4.10s, and one mean shift kit...nice guy, he then invites me to some semi organized runs Fri night out on the outskirts for kicks...I tell him I’ll be there…

Friday rolls around, show up, 50-60 cars…everything from a blown sbc ’32 Ford to bbd 4spd Duster, with the usual gluttony of 5.0’s, and 3 ls1 cars, 1 huffed (12.8’s), 1 juiced (12.2’s), the other (?)...the VIP barely gets an acknowledgment…

The big boys (12 sec & quicker) head out by themselves to shoot it out...we head out of town to an industrial area to a nice 2 lane, lighted, piece of road.

Sit back and watch for a while, plenty of 5.0 shootouts, dak r/t’s, 944’s, older camaro’s…I’m the only vintage Mopar in the place except for a purple ’69 notch Barracuda, and he was just watchin...

Get the VIP fired up and I get lined up with another newbie, primer black, early 80’s monte with a friggin prostock scoop on the bloody thing...he does a big smokey burnout, crowd goes nuts, I thinkin I might have some trouble...my turn, I just clean em off...

Starter lines us up, I bring the revs up to 2000, monte boy goes gung ho 3000 at least, starters hands drop, I leave, instant car length, kept walking right to third...3 cars at least...he never comes back...

Come back, before I even park it, I am challenged by a primer grey camaro...he says 350 4 spd, I say ok...

Line em up same launch, got em by half a car, outta the hole, hit 5000 grand and mine completely dies...to hot...camaro goes screaming by...

Let it sit for half an hour, and ask for a rematch, he says sure...

Jump him half a car in low, just inchin him, hes at my back bumper, I shift to 3rd, hes goin to 4th, or at least tries too, but boom, bang, grind...lunched his clutch...

Come back, let it cool, next I’m challenged by a 454 4spd camaro, 3” cowl hood, tracbars, big meats...all I have to say about that one is the small block put up more of a fight...

I was totally psyched by the end of night, just vibrating, totally different than running at the track...got lots of compliments on my rusty sleeper on how hard i
Old 07-06-2000, 04:29 AM
Inactive User

Hard to put an evening like that into words. But you did it well.
Old 07-06-2000, 06:31 PM

Cool Dana.Good work. Sounds like a good time ,I want to come.Is that over by WEM.I have heard about it but Im not sure where to go. Those 454 comaros are usually a good laugh.I did race one that ran a 12.4 ,I beat him ,and it was sad cause he had his own cheering section with him,at first they laughed at me ,later they came to look.
Send me the Street name . Please. Then we can hang out and have some good laughs on the chevy guys expense. Hows the 727 working ?
Old 07-06-2000, 08:10 PM
Inactive User

RR, I would of thought u'd be all over this... !

Everyone meets at the BP's (Fri/Sat) at Jasper around 11pm...they usually decide it there...

Seems 13 sec guys (ie. me) & slower, we all went out to Meridian St.

The big boys (ie u), went somewhere out on 17 st...but I can't confirm that...

A couple guys with the nicer rides showed up late at BP's, I assume from Soda Jerks...

The talk was a rematch between that juiced black ls1 WS6, and a primer red '66/7 chevelle with no hood & unknown displacement bbc(never seen this car before), I guess they went last weekend before on drag radials, but it turned out too be a battle of who hooked first...they both showed up with fresh Hoosier's...

The late comers, had a guy in s-10, claiming 383 stroker with 600+ hp, and red '32, blown, and 4' wheelie bars...

Talked too a few guys, seems they've only been busted up once so far this year...

As for the VIP, tranny works good, converter stalls right where I wanted it to,...had G&G make me some rims to mount the 50's, only went with 8's, biggest I could fit in wells. Threw on some new shocks, and the thing is hooking great, maybe 10' of rubber...

We'll see how does on the track Friday if the damn weather will cooperate...

Gonna mess with the carb sat, and maybe if I'm feeling ambitious, swap in that 528 MP and crane adjustables...must go faster!

Should see u at the track or downtown one of these nights...

Dana
Old 07-07-2000, 06:17 AM

I will be @ the track Friday. Do you have a heat shield on your car ,I had a problem with mine till I put one on. It really helps when your doing hot laps ,as does a electric fuel pump,at the tank.See if you can get more air into the engine compartment. You know those dual snorkel air cleaners hooked to the front rad mount area work really well .I gained 28 hp with a 6 pack scoop and a k&n flow control sealed to the hood(had to do a big rejet). I will see you tommorow night. Built one new head on the Dart (915 cracked ouch) so hopefully it runs as fast,feels real good though,so I think all is well.

Take care .