Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 02-04-2007, 01:30 AM
Inactive User

Default 360 Timing set

Hi, I got a quickie, is there a difference in the timing set on 90 model 360 with a roller cam and the older model 360's.I called around and all the parts stores says there different part numbers.Alot of sets I have seen on ebay,summit ect show they are all the same up to I think 92.I also heard the roller camshafts are shorter than the flat tappets? plan on running my mechanical fuel pump on on this engine, it had a block off plate where the pump installs.I have a eccentric or what ever its called to bolt on the cam gear for the pump.The 90 model dbl chain set is actually cheaper compaired to say a 84 360 by $15.I plan to take the one thats off the engine just to compare but I figured someone here would know to save the trouble. thanks!!
Old 02-04-2007, 01:37 AM
Inactive User

I don't know about the timming chain sets, I thought they were interchangable, but your right about the cam. You need an adaptor to install the fuel pump eccentric, and the front cover that has the hole for the fuel pump.
What Cover do you currently have, as it may determine what pulleys/accessory drive system you can use? The Magnum engine have reverse rotation water pumps and use a different timming chain cover than the LA engines. I would just use an electric pump anyhow and not bother with the mechanical pump.
Old 02-04-2007, 01:52 AM
Inactive User

It come with a timing cover identical to the early models but with just a block off plate.I plan on using the pulleys off my 84 318 if all goes well,knowing my luck the front balancer will stick out a half inch "lol" and throw all my pulleys out of whack.I could use an electric pump and reinstall the plate,Trying to stay on a budget.I dont think its a magnum, the heads accept the early intake.The oiling of the rockers are different, hollow push rods/shorter and no holes in the tips of the rockers like the early models
Old 02-04-2007, 02:03 AM
Inactive User

oops, my bad. I thought you had a Magnum engine when you said roller cam. I forgot there was a few years when the LA went to roller cam. I don't know much about those engines. I'm sure someone else will chime in.
Old 02-04-2007, 02:28 AM
Inactive User

I may do as you said and run an electric pump."no fuel starvation"I still need to measure the distance from the block to the outside of the balancer on the 360 as well as on my 318 just to be sure I wont run into any pulley probs.Glad you mentioned pulleys. thanks!!
Old 02-04-2007, 09:51 AM
Inactive User

Here are the spec's from the service manuals:

Year Engine # of Links Pitch Width
90 318-360 68 .375 .625"
72 318-360 68 .375 .625"
72 340 68 .375 .860"
70 318 68 .375 .625"
70 340 68 .375 .860"

They should be interchangeable as long as they mount up the same. The 90 service manual does not specify the bolt size like the 70 does (7/16-14). From the diagram for the timing chain, it looks the same. The 318 & 360 used a single row chain, where the 340's had the double roller. I would recommend using at least the 340 double roller as a minimum and a true roller timing chain as the best choice. Mancini Racing carries the Edelbrock true roller timing chain for around $60. I walked in on a Saturday about 7 years ago and they sold me two for $100. It is worth the money.

I had a 68 318 Cuda back in '84 that the original owner (an old man) finally traded in. It had 84 k miles on it. I put the stock 340 double roller chain and a fresh set of lifters and gained 2 MPG city driving. The chain was pretty stretched and a couple of teeth were chipped on the nylon gears (double rollers have metal).

I had another mule 318 that I rebuilt with the Edelbrock true roller that sat for a few years between changing cars that had about 125 k on the rebuild. Since I had to replace the W/P and timing chain gasket, I decided to freshen up the chain. The double roller with 125 k was still good and not stretched like the stock 318 with 84 k (and no chipped teeth). I replaced it anyway since I had already bought the new true roller. The engine lasted to over 250 k and had been in three cars before it needed another rebuild (I still have it, and I have driven it over 450 K). Anyway, with the price of gas now a days it will pay for itself in durability and fuel economy many times over. Not to mention the possibility of the pistons hitting the valves when the chain gets stretched, which I have done on a 360 and sent #2 connecting rod into the lifter valley and the piston into the oil pan.

Oh yeah, Mancini also has a true roller similiar to the Edelbrock that they sell with their name on the package for less than the Edelbrock if you want to save a few bucks. The Edel Part # is 7803.

I hope this helps you.

krazykuda
Old 02-04-2007, 10:53 AM
Inactive User

Hi, great info.This motor has close to 60k miles,I have a habit of replacing the chains,I dont think it has been into,I even asked the guy who kept the van serviced for the church, he said no but it has a dbl chain with steel gears and the cam gear is solid, no cut outs.It had minor slack but usable.When I pulled the timing cover there were no sign of chain replacment.I still question the fact it has a double.I may go with the edelbrock true roller.I will check into it today.looks like you got your $$ worth out of the 318 450k wow!The 318 in my truck runs great and has 240k on it but it has began puffing between shifting but no other times.I wonder how this motor will do switching from tbi to carb and what kind of rpm range with out the computer.Not very many in my area deal with Mopar, only 2 in my town but they are oldschool and no nothing about the later engines,I cant even find a machinist who will balance my fly wheel,I decided to order one from Mopar.
Old 02-04-2007, 11:19 AM
Inactive User

Glad to help.

Do a compression test to make sure your valves and rings are still good before replacing the intake system. I hate to see you spend all of that money if it is not the problem.
Old 02-04-2007, 11:46 AM
Inactive User

I did get my $$ worth out of the 318. 4-bbl, with a 340 cam from my brothers old 'Lil Red Express, Rhoades lifters, and a 2.76 gear I could get 18.75 MPG highway. I'm shooting for 20.

My dad had a 76 Charger w/a 360 that got 20 MPG stock.