Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 01-30-2000, 04:30 PM
Inactive User

I'm thinking of replacing my old starter with a mini starter. I've running a big block in a Dart with the Hooker SuperComp fenderwell headers. I heard someone say the mini starter is wider than the old ones. Will it clear the headers?

------------------
Check out http://www.donet.com/bemiller/ and let me know what you think!!
Old 01-30-2000, 07:35 PM
Inactive User

I don't have the Hooker headers in my A-body,so I can't say if it will fit for sure.I would imagine it would( I'm referring to the Mopar/Nippondenso starter)I put one of these on my car with the 383 and semi fenderwell headers,and it fit fine.
Old 01-30-2000, 11:16 PM

My partner is running Hooker Fenderwell on his Duster with the Mini starter. No problems.

Larry
Old 01-31-2000, 04:51 AM
Inactive User

I run the small Nipondenso starter on my 69 Dart with 440 and CPPA 2" under chassis headers.
Old 01-31-2000, 04:45 PM
Inactive User

I recently replaced the starter on my 440. My local auto parts sold me an original type, but when I matched it up with mine I found that mine was a small starter, about 1/2 the size of the original. The counter guy, a Mopar fan, said that the big 3 now market much smaller starters as high performance (for the old cars). In fact they are just selling a more modern starter that is commonly available. The original-type rebuilt cost ~$50 while the one I bought cost about $110 and is a Japanese starter. So I suggest you take your old one in and ask for a late model Chrysler starter and make sure the bolt pattern matches. Alex
Old 01-31-2000, 06:12 PM
Inactive User

These same nippendenso starters are found on the 88 and 89 dodge dakota 3.9 pickups. I went into the partstore and told them I wanted a starter off of a 3.9 Dakota and it fit perfectly in my Challenger drag car. I did have to grind a little flashing off of my engine block thou.
Old 02-01-2000, 03:41 AM
Inactive User

Hey Challenger,
That great. Where did you get your starter from...I hope I don't have to go into the "Zone" and explain why there is a big block in my dart again. They always give me the blank stare and say well thats not in the computer. Anyone else have this problem? They can't take my word for it. Anyway about what does the starter cost for the Dakota.

------------------
Old 02-01-2000, 04:13 AM
Inactive User

It's also the same starter as on a 98-99 Dodge van,truck and Durango.I used one for a Durango in my Demon,and one for a van in my Ramcharger and they are the same.It's also the exact same as what Mopar Performance sells in the catalog.
Old 02-01-2000, 04:50 AM
CrAzYMoPaRGuY !!

DART/MAN - You've got GUTS!!! I've got the same set up so I know what you went through. Lucky for bemiller, he's running fenderwells. It should be REALLY easy, and his starter has a chance of lasting! Har Har Har. Good luck guys!!
Old 02-01-2000, 05:17 AM

Do they twist their heads when they make that blank look. We call that the Victrola Dog look! Next time tell them its a 451 and watch their heads spin.

My rebuilt mini starter cost me $75.00 a few years ago. They are undoubtedly cheaper now as they are more popular. If one ever dies on you, all is not lost. Usually it is a contact near the solenoid that goes out and costs like $1.00 and requires a half hour of work.
Old 02-01-2000, 05:34 AM
Inactive User

bemiller

Funny thing that you mentioned the "Zone". I did get mine there. I went in told them I needed a starter for a 89 Dodge Dakota and that I was going to put it in a 440 Challenger drag car. The guy basically gave me a icy stare and said that there was no warranty on the starter if I did that. I said what difference does it make, you got a lifetime warranty on them starters anyway. His response was, Well what happened to your regular starter, if that wouldnt work then why put this starter on. Some unpleasant remarks were made by him and me. I asked him to get the starter, which he did, when he returned about 5 minutes later I basically told him to stick it up his ????, and left the store fuming. I went to the next town that had a Zone and got one with warranty. Starter has been in my race car now for 4 years without a problem. The guy in the first store either got fired or left shortly afterward. Kind of a funny story now that I look back on it and you mentioned it. Dont mention what you are putting it in. You could try a salvage yard. Thats what a friend of mine did. I cant really remember what I gave for it but $125 with no core or $80 with a core seems to ring a bell. Oh by the way nice 69 Dart. Hope to own one in the future.

[This message has been edited by Challenger (edited January 31, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by Challenger (edited January 31, 2000).]
Old 02-01-2000, 02:37 PM
Inactive User

Red face

I bought one of the mini starts from Kohler Dodge for $99 to put on my '69 Charger 383-4 with Heddman headers. I believe this is the Dakota starter. The starter is much smaller than stock but fatter. It was NOT even close to clearing the #1 header tube. Probably about one inch of interference.

After quite a bit of trial and error I eventually had to take the header off and have the #1 tube moved at a cost of $75. There is plenty of room but the Heddman headers just had a tube in the way. Hooker may route their tubes differently. If your existing headers have a tube that runs right next to the side of your existing starter it probably won't fit. If you have about an inch of clearance you should be ok.

------------------
Parker
'69 Charger 383-4
www.rearwheeldrive.org
Old 02-01-2000, 02:52 PM
Inactive User

Wink

I picked up my new hooker super comps and there definetely won't be a starter / header problem. All 8 tubes dump through fenderwell! I guess the set I had on the car were old super comps as they were six individual pieces. I also couldn't get a header gasket to last more than a race with those old pieces of ****. I had to replace them because the guy who had car before me used that fiberglass header wrap stuff and every tube was paper thin from the rust/moisture that stuff holds. Also got into accident towing caused by Mr. Magoo and headers bottomed out against trailer, broke 3 flanges. Anyway I don't suggest anyone use that fiberglass header wrap stuff unless you want to replace headers every few years, plus it itches something awful if you touch it when working on motor. Thanks for compliment Challenger (did you see my dart is for sale?) and thanks everyone for help.

------------------
Old 02-01-2000, 06:24 PM
Inactive User

bemiller

Yes I did see it was for sale. My question to you is what are you going to be racing next being you are upgrading your powerplant?
Old 02-01-2000, 06:50 PM
Moderator and HEMI FIEND

Kinda off the subject, BUT
on my Roadrunner I have a V-10 starter. Its a High torque starter, its light weight and small.
I got it for free from a Chrysler mechanic friend; he replaced it with a new one on a customer’s car. the Starter I got needed some new brushes...no prob!
everything mated up the same as the stock 383 starter, BUT I had some difficulty rewireing the thing. The wiring on the starter lends itself to an interference problem with the 383 block.
Other than that it was a snap!
Max
Old 02-01-2000, 07:15 PM
Inactive User

Wink

The 383 is still in great condition so it'll stay for 2000 or until the 451 or 440 is complete. I'm actually building the new motor for an 23-T altered or Front engine dragster. But if I don't sell the dart before the motor is done then obvisously I'll test it in the dart. Only changes to the 383 for 2000 are porting the heads and advance the cam 4 degrees, hopefully it'll run at least 11.40's. Ran 11.70's last year. I'm also repainting the dart...again. I'm a sick perfectionalist when it comes to my cars looking good. If someone was interested in the car before I spray on the purple they can choose a color.
Old 02-01-2000, 10:20 PM
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally posted by Marc:
DART/MAN - You've got GUTS!!! I've got the same set up so I know what you went through. Lucky for bemiller, he's running fenderwells. It should be REALLY easy, and his starter has a chance of lasting! Har Har Har. Good luck guys!!
Marc, did you move the big post on the starter, that`s what I did. The starter has lasted 3 years so far, about 2 years longer than I thought it would.

Old 02-02-2000, 03:08 PM
Inactive User

[QUOTE]Originally posted by parkert:
[B]I bought one of the mini starts from Kohler Dodge for $99 to put on my '69 Charger 383-4 with Heddman headers. I believe
[snip]

I have Hooker headers (~1 7/8" tubes) on my 440 and the small starter clears the header, but not by much. Jeg's also sells Mopar Performance items, and sometimes cheaper than Kohler. I've bought from both.

Alex