Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Neon Club Chat

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 02-15-2007, 09:59 AM
Inactive User

Default srt-4 question

What is the difference between the different stages of the srt-4. I have seen up to stage 3 which should be the end all correct? How do you wrap your arms around one of these?
Old 02-15-2007, 10:37 AM

Biggrin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satty71 View Post
What is the difference between the different stages of the srt-4. I have seen up to stage 3 which should be the end all correct? How do you wrap your arms around one of these?
The SRT-4 is the factory Neon hot rod rated at 230 HP. The Stage 3 kit can boost that up to 355 HP on 100 octane.

Do a Google search on "SRT-4 Stage 3" and you will find several sources for the kit.

I believe the SRT-4 Neons all have a bubble on the hood for turbo clearance.

FYI, you can get a PT Cruiser GT that has essentially the same engine, although it would cost more. The big difference is the PT is still made, while the Neon isn't.

I am not sure if Stage 1 or 2 are available. Even so, the stage 3 is the hottest.
Old 02-15-2007, 10:57 AM
Inactive User

The biggest differences with the Stage cars are turbo size, MSD ignition, blow off valve, turbo timer, and some suspension upgrades depending on which stage that you get. You can get the kits to upgrade any SRT4 to the different stages, and if you look around you can find the ones that were done at the factory/dealership. Like Dick said, do a google search and you can find some more detailed info on the various upgrades associated with the different stages.

When I was looking at the SRT4s I happened across a stage 2 car at a dealership and took it for a test drive. The only way I can describe the power that car had is sick. Durring the test drive I pulled out of a parking lot nice and easy, then got to the point where I was ready to shift into 2nd and hammered it as I shifted, the torque steer almost ripped the wheel out of my hand and caused the car to jump over into the next lane because I was not expecting it. With the power to weight ratio, that was one of the fastest street cars that I have driven, it was absolutely awesome.
Old 02-15-2007, 02:27 PM
Inactive User

The stage 3 upgrade for the SRT4 is as follows:

# Stage 3 PCM with Block-Off Connector
# TD05HR-15GK2-10cm2 Turbo Unit and Manifold: 16% larger compressor wheel diameter to flow and compress more intake air, 19% larger turbine wheel diameter to flow more exhaust gas and reduce back pressure, 67% more turbine scroll area for reduced back pressure
# TiAl (Titanium Aluminide) Turbine Wheel with significantly less rotational inertia than the standard Inconel steel; less inertia results in reduced turbo lag and better turbo response.
# High-Flow (180 lph 75 psi) Fuel Pump Module
# Pressure Regulated Fuel Rail Assembly with 4.0 Bar Returnless Regulator and Hose Kit
# (4) 682 cc/min Fuel Injectors (Not included in the Stage 3 Add-On Kit.)
# 3.0 bar MAP Sensor (Not included in the Stage 3 Add-On Kit.)
# 3.0 bar TIP Sensor (Not included in the Stage 3 Add-On Kit.)

Also there is Turbo Toys....

What this adds is the ability to spray the IC with a water/ethonal mixture to further cool the air passing though it. there is also an in cab switch that allows for different performance settings.

I am a first gen owner but love the SRT4 myself. Go check out http://www.srtforums.com/ (a national SRT4 board) and http://www.modernperformance.com/ for a better description of the different stages. Cory is a great guy and will get you information as well.

Mike
Old 02-16-2007, 10:54 AM
Inactive User

I checked out Mancini and they have the kits in all stages. They are all pretty reasonable up to the stage 3 which is a little pricy!!! How hard are these mods to complete, that and which year is the most compatable to mods? I am still a year out on picking one of these babies up but I figure a 30K car for about 10K with the stage 2 at least would be great. I saw some stock srt-4's at the track a few months ago and they were impressive even though the drives left something to be desired!!!! I think these cars are best way for sick HP for the price, and still maintain great driveability. Would the stage 3 hamper longs trips and such?
Old 02-16-2007, 12:05 PM

rember the 03 SRT-4 doesn't have the quafie (limited slip diff) and its 215 hp the first year
Old 02-16-2007, 12:34 PM
Inactive User

With doing a stage two or stage three you should buy Turbo Toys, this way you can controll more of what is going on. Toys allows you to control the amount of HP being put out and the amount of drivability the car has. Even though you can run it in full mode all the time if you want.

Along with a stage 2 or 3 you will want to change the intercooler. There are a couple of direct replacment high flow IC but most have gone to a "monster" (large) IC. Going big means removing the front crash bar. Remember too that removing the plastic pipes and replacing them with hard pipes and a different BOV starts to become a good idea at around 275 hp. Some will say tha the stock air box and plumbing can withstand 300 - 330 hp, but most every one I have talked to has gone hard pipe. The past thing is that you will need to tune your waste gate. Sounds silly but if is not working properly you will loose boost pressure at high rpm.

Doing a stage 2 or 3 upgrade is not a slap parts on and go mod. It takes time as well as some one who can help you get things tuned right if you have never done it before.
Old 02-18-2007, 04:56 PM
Inactive User

Daarkwind, how much tuning is required normally? I have worked on some highway diesels so I have turbo knowlege which helps. However I have never tuned a 4 banger rocket like a SRT 4. I used to have a little Sundace with the 2.5 which would realy light them up and get some which was pretty cool, I can't imagine how fast the SRT is. Anybody have the numbers for a tuned stage 2? 1/4 mile and supposed top end? Thanks.
Old 02-19-2007, 04:17 AM
Inactive User

Most of the tuning is timing of waste gate from what I have read. The stage 3 comp takes care of the rest.

As for speed.... a stage 3 SRT will pull low 10s on 92 pump gas and with Toys in power mode and 100+ gas they are getting almost to the 8 sec barrier. They are crazy fast.

I was just about to give up my first gen to get a SRT4 ACR but I dont need the car payment. LOL
Old 02-19-2007, 11:20 AM
Inactive User

I hear that about the car payment, but these are droping into the 10k range and I haven't had a car payment for 7 years so I due!!!! It will also look great in the driveway next to the wifes R/T magnum!!!
Old 02-20-2007, 12:10 AM
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daarkwind View Post
As for speed.... a stage 3 SRT will pull low 10s on 92 pump gas and with Toys in power mode and 100+ gas they are getting almost to the 8 sec barrier. They are crazy fast.
Are you talking about 1/4 mile? If so you are way off. A typical stage 3 runs low 12s and with more mods high 11s. With nitrous there are some running low 11s. If you want a 10 second srt-4 you have to do much more then stage 3. There are only a handful of srt-4s in the 10s right now and most of them are running strokers or highly built engines. Darrel Cox built the current fastest street srt-4 and it runs 10.30s. There are dozens of srt-4s that have the HP capable of running 10s, but traction wont allow it. Dont really know the top end of stage 3 is, but im pretty sure its over 150. Stage 3 is quick but if you are serious about upgrades you should also look into other companies like AGP.
Old 02-20-2007, 04:28 AM
Inactive User

I refuse to get into a contest about it but leave it say that there are stage 3's that run in the 10's and only because they take the time to tune right and traction is not a problem on slicks. But prior to the 04 witht he Quaifs in them yes traction was a problem. The LSD makes a huge difference and if you are not on street tires traction gets better.

AGP is a great line but once you step away from Mopar products you might as well go into a 50 trim or even a 60 trim kit with full hard pipes, cams, and a programmable trubo system. Not to mention a custom fabbed exhaust.

If you mod smart you can get 355 HP with a stage three and toys with the stock air box. Yes it is rated to 350HP. I would upgrad the plumbing and FMIC to a direct fit from Spearco and get the motor mounts done. Fresh dogbones will also keep the wheels down, not to mention a stage three suspension or comparable.
Old 02-20-2007, 01:50 PM
Inactive User

I wouldnt continue to reply if it wasnt for the fact that your misinformation could be taken as fact by some people. Like I said before you are wrong. There is not a single Stage 3 car that is in the 8s, not even the 9s..this is a fact. You are correct when you say that there are some in the 10s, but just a handful and all of them are HIGH 10s and are far from just a $3500 stage 3 kit. None of them are running 92 octane and none of them are in full street gear. Every 10sec stage3 car has at least a stroker, weight reduction, and/or nitrous. Like I said before, the typical stage3 car runs low 12s and with more mods they are capable of 11s....yet another fact. The fastest SRT-4s are not running stage 3s and this is also a fact. Everything I just said can be checked at srtforums.com for authenticity. Now please quit spreading misinformation.
Old 02-21-2007, 12:08 PM

turbododge.com has more people on it more experience with srt-4s. and even the stock 03 was cappable of 149 mph
Old 02-22-2007, 11:09 PM
Inactive User

Anywho, if I go with the stage 2 kit from Mopar what would be some other mods to help this thing perform. I am not 1/4 mile crazy but something really fast on the street that handles great is all, that and really reliable.