Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > General Chat > Street Warrior Forum - great street race stories.....

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 03-20-2000, 08:44 PM
Inactive User

Any of you guys have any action where you live? I know Phili has some killer action up there. Unfortunately no one around here really races. Just hang outs around where I live. No racing. I just wanted to see how many of you have good street racing in your area. Here is a link for one of my favorites.

http://members.xoom.com/st_racers/

Old 03-21-2000, 06:31 AM
Addicted Moparchat Member

there's a couple of groups here in raleigh, nc. some high school/college kids who meet just for kicks then a couple more "elite" secretive groups that go for cash, though not in any real large amounts i don't think.
Old 03-29-2000, 03:53 PM
Inactive User

Cool

Everyone used to go downtown. The main drag was Jasper Avenue. On any given Friday or Saturday night the streets would be bumper to bumper for about 15-20 blocks. There was action during the week too. The odd race would be run from light to light if you got the room. But mostly you could only cruise. It was alot of fun. One guy had a Cordoba that was a total sleeper. It looked real innocent but went like hell.

Of course, the police decided this was a problem so they cracked down on every little violation and gradually scared people off. There is still a bit of a scene but nothing like it used to be.

------------------
99' Dakota Clubcab SLT 2wd in Metallic Red and Driftwood two-tone. It has the 318/auto, 3.55 ltd. slip, tire and handling package, pretty much all other options. No specific mods, YET!
Old 04-04-2000, 03:29 AM
Inactive User

Yeah, back in the day. I used to cruise town and it was packed! Races happened from time to time if you accidently got stuck by a light. Then the town started cracking down on curfew. But that couldn't stop the 18+ crowd. then the rules came along about no parking after 8PM and then they passed a law that if you went around more than 2 times you were trespassing in downtown. Then everyone stopped hanging out and started drinking and driving. The laws faded and then the "loop" became a car stereo competition. Soem people would show up with their Honda Civic with a K&N filter and race because they could reach 0-60 in just under 11 seconds. there was nocompetition because the slammed S-10 beside them was a stock 4-cylnder. WOW!
Old 04-13-2000, 03:32 PM
Self proclaimed expert

Angry

I hate the way the cycle goes back home in Texas. The owner of the plaza where everyone turns around and cruises through gets whiny and forces the cops to crack down. Then the drinking and driving and the fights pick up for a while so the cops back off when they can. I feel bad for the cops because they can either do their job and cause more drinking and driving and fights or they can look the other way and let the businesses down but then the highschool kids are a little safer atleast. It seems the two lap rule is killing cruising and lets face it, if the kids can cruise that is a lot better than the things they could be doing. Besides, decent people shouldn't be on the streets at that time of night!!....LOL
Old 06-28-2000, 04:05 PM
Inactive User

Yes racing belongs on the track but it is funny that an area like Philadelphia where there is 4 drag strips with in a 60 mile radius (give or take) Atco,Englishtown,Maple Grove,Cecil County,every Friday,SAT&SUN you will see about 400 cars and over 1000 people in Front street drag racing and let me tell you this is not some 2 lane back woods black top,this racing is done in the city limits less than 4 miles from Downtown Philly,granted 90% of the cars are imports and 5.0s but some of these cars will tickle the 10s there is a lot of car action here and every1 races no bench talking.

------------------
70 Satelitte Conv.
1 of 701 made.
Old 08-26-2000, 04:16 AM
Inactive User

Leo.they're still runnin'Front street?i havnt been there in 10 years.how are the cops?the best was when they turned off the street lights and opened the fire hydrants,that was just the "green light" for EVERYBODY to do burnouts!
Old 08-26-2000, 05:27 AM

I have not seen much of a racing scene in Delaware. While I am close to Philly, I'm not sure that I'd really want to go there to race, especially on Front Street (that's close by the stadiums isn't it). That city is just too fast for me and I'm not talking about the cars! Buy I do love those Flyers!

------------------
94 Dakota Sport 5.2L, 3.90 auburn LSD, K+N X-stream filtercharger, MSD 6A, Blaster Coil II, Taylor wires, MP Computer, Pacesettter headers, Dynomax supercat, Flowmaster 50, Crower 1.7 rockers, Lakewood traction bars, Hellwig sway bar, Transgo shift kit, MP valve covers, Firestone Firehawks SS20
Old 08-26-2000, 06:04 AM
Inactive User

There is a grocery store parking lot right along side of our main stretch call Broadway where all of the local ricer kids park and hang out just about every weeknight in the summertime. Broadway also makes for some good quick races. The cops don't seem to mind a bit. Roodypoo and I stopped in there one night just for kicks and just about everyone leaving that parking lot has there foot into it--tires squealing or TRYING to squel.
Old 08-28-2000, 01:42 AM
Inactive User

Well, I'm from the motorcity, home of the world famous Woodward avenue. As far as cruisin, there's gratiot, which is really packed durin the summer months. If you find a race there, you usually go off onto the service drive.

Then there's the real street racing. There's at least 6-7 spots I know of where the action takes place. People trailer in their vehicles here alot, and there are a lot of VERY FAST cars, trucks, and motorcycles there. ALOT of money gets exchanged and when the cops break up one spot, everyone just moves to another. This usually takes place every weekend in the very late (or early) mornings.
Old 08-28-2000, 03:14 AM
Inactive User

definetley sounds like a cool place to live, i might have to take a trip out there to take it in.

Quote:
Originally posted by gouge97:
Well, I'm from the motorcity, home of the world famous Woodward avenue. As far as cruisin, there's gratiot, which is really packed durin the summer months. If you find a race there, you usually go off onto the service drive.

Then there's the real street racing. There's at least 6-7 spots I know of where the action takes place. People trailer in their vehicles here alot, and there are a lot of VERY FAST cars, trucks, and motorcycles there. ALOT of money gets exchanged and when the cops break up one spot, everyone just moves to another. This usually takes place every weekend in the very late (or early) mornings.
Old 08-28-2000, 06:05 AM
Inactive User

Angry

Here in Louisville, KY., there used to be a HUGE street scene(11th and Magnolia) up until
last year...we're talkin' ALL the right ingredients; industrial area, cars, bikes, homemade 'tree', people selling food and drinks, police riding through JUST to make sure no-one gets hurt, big money bets, nitrous... you name it! Fridays and Saturdays
were the bussiest, but action could be found
every day of the week.
But, like most things 'good', one person ended it for everyone. Someone sent a video
tape to the police department of a police cruiser doing a small burn-out. The police has completely shut down the action. "11th Street" was people enjoying life with people.Young, old, black, white, upper-class, and poor....entire familys came to witness the spectacle...and get along!!!
It's sad to see it gone, but it will never be forgotten.
Old 09-16-2000, 04:47 PM
Moparchat Bronze member

We had the smae thing here on Long Island. "Edison ave" You could see raceing for hours.. Your neck felt like you were mid court at the U.S. open tennis match.
After a while the police shut it down. They videoed the race's. Then hunted down all the plate #'s. Convetions were high. So was the loss of cars. Here there are no tracks to close. E-town is an hour or so with bridge & tolls. Traveling through New York City is not good ethier, or easy.
Old 09-23-2000, 04:30 AM
Inactive User

The scene in Colorado is virtually nonexistant. Every summer, we have the typical car shows, but if you go to the first two or three shows of the season, and you already know what you'll see at subsequent shows. There are a few poser clubs that drive around in circles, but nothing cool. There aren't a lot of Mopars here, but I recently spent in week in my hometown of Monongahela, PA. There, I saw two 'Cudas, a bunch of Darts, Dusters and two Road Runners, as well as two Hemis. For being a podunk town, they know how to pick cool cars.
Old 10-07-2000, 10:17 AM
Inactive User

I think this topic is what this forum should be about. I am not belittling you guys that like the occasional traffic light kill--but semi-organized street racing is alive and well in my home town. Every Friday and Sat. nite from midnite thru 4:00am its hot and heavy! Some guys even trailer their cars to the "cruise"! It all takes place on a sort of deserted boulevard on the otherside of downtown(I'm not going to give the actual city for obvious reasons) Two lanes going south is the "strip"and the two lanes going north is used for spectator parking and the racer's return lane. I just found out about these "midnite drags" a year or so ago but this has been an on-going thing for over 15 years! I took my 440 Challenger down there last week and talk about an adrenaline rush! This brave soul stages us(after the burn outs)and counts down to three with his fingers-you leave on three fingers! I made sure the 69 Camaro I was racing was'nt gonna get squirlly and let him leave I caught at mid track and beat him by about 4 car lengths. The next one was a nicer 68 hugger orange Camaro(I think I was the only Mopar of about 20-30 cars)it was mini-tubbed and the guy looked all business. Again, I gave hime the leave but the adrenaline got the best of me and I missed second-going right to 3rd from first! I thought I blew it but my 440 did'nt much care and kept right on pulling-I beat him by a nose! Next up was a guy with a tricked-out 350 S-10 on the bottle. First rule of street racing-(hindsite)when somebody who runs nitrous says they wont use it or dont have any left, assume right then they plan on hosing you!! Well, I got suckered by this kid, he begged me for the leave and i gave him a goog 50 feet befor I left. He beat me by about 20 foot. Well, I beleive my Challenger may acquire a drug habbit herself by the next time we meet!!hehe

------------------