Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 02-21-2007, 10:57 PM
Inactive User

Default planning ahead

So, I have looked at this 318, and with the 340 heads like they are, I think a stroker kit is in order. Now, cam choices have come down to the lunati 228-232 488-513 voodoo, or the comp cams 272 extreme energy dual profile jobber they have. since the 318 hasn't been run since it was rebuilt, this should go like cake at a party. a smaller cam, shorter pistons, bigger crank, I wonder if I need to save for a forged crank, or if the nodular cast crank will do? then I can settle down to an air gap and 2200 stall or so and 3:89's, and it should turn those mickey thompsons real well a lower rpm. I hope! The rims and tires in back are huge! I am not sure how much of an effect the size of the wheels and tires effect the output of the engine, it looks very cool, but I still want to be able to launch hard, and 390 ci with this setup I hope will be the balance I am seeking. I would like to drive the car on the freeway to the goodguy's show in march, but that may not be realistic. However, if anyone out there has a word of wisdom for me on planning out this dart, I want to knock it out of the park this time, I want a fast, drivable, awesome looking dart, and with the back half done now, it has the look I love. Now to find that optimum balance of power and streetability. Thanks for your help, folks!
Old 02-22-2007, 12:13 AM
Inactive User

here are pictures
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN4089.jpg (97.2 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN4079.JPG (119.7 KB, 24 views)
Old 02-22-2007, 12:32 AM
Inactive User

Stroker kit?
Where are you going to get it from?
Old 02-22-2007, 01:02 AM
Inactive User

Default stroker kit

I haven't decided between the one from hughes engines or ohio crankshaft. The one from ohio is by far the best price I've found, if you go with a nodular crankshaft or forged both. There are a lot of kits available, from 1100-2500+ so shop around!
Old 02-22-2007, 10:03 AM
Inactive User

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by stroker mike View Post
I haven't decided between the one from hughes engines or ohio crankshaft. The one from ohio is by far the best price I've found, if you go with a nodular crankshaft or forged both. There are a lot of kits available, from 1100-2500+ so shop around!
Ok, good. 'just checking to see if it's the same shop I went to. A shop I unhappy with.
Old 02-22-2007, 02:32 PM
Banned

I am happy with my eagle crank kit, on my 390. TRW made me some nice pistons too.
If you give ISKY some specs, and what you want, they will custom grind a cam best for you.
Old 02-22-2007, 05:18 PM
Inactive User

Default isky

So I had just been looking at Hughes cams, they have an extremely high lift for the duration, and I don't know who has one if they liked the results, I want to be careful, cause I want it right the first time. Isky will grind a custom cam for my application? Is it expensive? I know cam-motion does custom grinds, but they are pricey, and I've heard Laser cams is real good, too. I have spent alot of time looking at different profiles and I decided tha the best way to find out what will work for me is to talk to people who have done what I'm trying to do, and find out what went good and what didn't. so what are your cam specs, and combo? what did you want performance wise and what is the end result? any and all who have a stroker setup please drop some knowlege on me!!! and thanks!