Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk > Tech Archives > Engines

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 10-04-2003, 06:59 PM
Inactive User

rolleyes2 Camshafts

I have read so many people here asking about camshafts.

Questions like - what lift to use, what duration, what cam is best, what cam builder is best, what cam to use in mine etc.

Camshaft opinions and experiences are as plentiful as Mustangs and A**holes, if you get the saying.

Bottom line to anyone that questions about a camshaft whether your a novice at performance building or a veteran is this:

First, without having every specification and information of YOUR particular engine and drivetrain - NO ONE can tell YOU what camshaft will give YOU the performance YOU WANT - no matter if its an off the shelf cam from a mass producer or a custom cam grinder. You have got to start at this point first.

Second, you need to be talking to several camshaft manufacturers to gather the information you need. You need to have all the information stated above when you call because they all will ask. You will also have to state what kind of performance you are looking for. YOU HAVE TO ABSOLUTELY TRUTHFUL when giving the information about your vehicle and drivetrain, what your using it for, and what you want out of it. Anything less than this information, and your wasting your time and will not get the performance you want. You will see why in a minute. You do not have to purchase anything they offer but you do need to be copying down the specifications they tell you for comparitive reasons. At this point, you now have to compare the specs to see how close they are - and how they differ for that matter. Now you have some professional information that you can go off of because that is where the cam is coming from, the manufacturer, not anyone on this website. Now it's up to you to choose, it's your cash and your vehicle.

Third, no matter what camshaft you finally decide on, and you have given all truthful information, and you have installed it per the manufacturers recommendations (which means to the novice builder to install the cam the way they say, do not attempt to advance or -- for gods sake -- retard the camshaft if you do not know what the effect will do or don't do - leave that to us veteran builders) you should have the performance you want.
If you do not, you need to contact the cam manufacturer for assistance - they (and I mean ALL of them) will help you in every way imaginable. They will not let you be unsatisfied (they won't come to your house and fix it - but I have had a few - not going to mention the manufacturers - meet me at the track or come over at national meets to see what was going on, and in one case help me pull it out, give me another cam, help me put it in and pay for my trouble - i could not beat that nor was i asking for that - thats how respectable they are).
Most of the time I find when I am working on another engine performance issue, I find the owner was either untruthful with the information, or they went and drastically changed something that the camshaft is not designed to work with. The camshaft is just a piece to the puzzle, not a magic stick or a cure for all your engine ills - it just a component.
Do not let anyone tell you any camshaft manufacturer is better than another because they are not. They all do research and development for their camshafts and they all have different ideas on what works best for a set criteria. What one person gets out of a camshaft may be very different than what you want and what combination you have. The variance is you the consumer on how you want to use it, what you want out of it, and does it give you what you want - that is it.

Fourth, this is only one camshaft. That means if you have a major change to your engine, drivetrain, CARBURATION you will have to get another cam to go with your new combination. Your cam that helped you run 13's will not help you run 11's and so on. And the cam that helped another guy run 13 whatever will not help you unless you have exactly what he had down to the last specification.

Lastly, For those that are street rides only, about the only thing your looking for is a nice loping idle - that's cool, i love it, I do it as well - but to cruise at 35, 45, or 55 mph either keep the cam in there you have or just tell the manufacturer you want a nice loping idle and don't care how it performs. I say that because unless you intend to base your vehicle performance at a timed drag strip, circle track, road course you have no idea how it performs. I cannot tell you how many supposedly bad a** street cars work their way to the drag strips to barely get in the 12's full out, and then start uncorking exhaust to run better to the tune of a few tenths. So bottom line is be honest, decide wisely, AND LISTEN TO THE MANUFACTURER YOUR BUYING THE CAM FROM.