Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 03-13-2007, 05:18 AM
Inactive User

Default Need Help to install Ring&Pinion

Hi @ all,

I bought a Auburn diff and a Richmond 4,10:1 gear for my 8 3/4" axle. I freind of min e said that he has experience with installation of ring& pinions. So I gave him me centersection with all the new parts. I payed 450eur. (approx $600) for the installation. When I drove my car the first time after the gear change I heared a grinding noise from the back, wich was going higher the faster I drove. So I realized fast that it cames from the gear(ring&pinion). I removed the centersection and took a look for the tooth pattern. I would say that the pinion is to far away from the mesh and the ring as well. Have you any good tipps to fix that problem?

Thanks in forward.
Best regards Jan

here are some pics from the ring. The first and the second is from the driveside the third from the back. (I´v put a bit of copper grease on the ring and turned it to get a better view
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P3130001.JPG (49.0 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg P3130003.JPG (51.1 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg P3130005.JPG (57.2 KB, 35 views)
Old 03-13-2007, 12:08 PM
Inactive User

Yep, You got screwed, if I'm looking at it right, which is hard without some kind of gear marking compound, your pinion has to go in farther which means more shims behind the larger bearing on the pinion, get that one right first and then adjust the backlash (side to side) To me it looks as though he doesn't know what he's doing to be that far off. The company that made the gears will give a initial shim selection for that set but that does not mean you won't have to adjust for your housing. Is it a 489, 742, or 741 case if it's a 489 you will need a new crush collar for the pinion. The good news is, if you haven't drove it very far you can adjust it and the noises will go away after proper setup.Sundrop
Old 03-13-2007, 04:33 PM

That's some pretty severe scoring on the tooth surface, it might be damaged enough that just correcting the setup won't stop the noise.
Old 03-13-2007, 07:42 PM

I would remove the ring gear and then smack your friend upside the head with it.

I must agree with JK. Once it is setup properly, it will most likely continue to be noisy.
Old 03-14-2007, 05:34 AM
Inactive User

Thanks to all for your fast replies.
It is a 742 case. I just drove 60 miles with the new diff. I hope I can use the ring&pinion again. I will give it to good shop to adjust it new till the tooth pattern will look like in the manual. Hopefully it works and I can drive this season.
Old 03-14-2007, 03:48 PM
Inactive User

I have had the oportunity to setup a few simular botched gear setups and they were screaming bad, and I was able to eliminate the noise, in all but one, but those gears looked alot worse than yours and he had driven over 300 miles on them that way. The only other thing is richmond gears tend to be a little noisy anyway, but by the markings you had I'm sure a proper adjustment is going to be a 200% better than it was. Sundrop
Old 03-15-2007, 12:05 AM
Inactive User

i agree with sundrop on the richmonds being noisy. i have some 4.10s, set up properly by a competent gear man, and they've always had a little howl.

coronet67, this "friend" of yours, has he "helped" you with anything else on your ride?
Old 03-15-2007, 02:53 PM
Inactive User

Yes, he has rebuilt my tranny. But but he is normally known as a good mechanic. Propably only by engines and transmissions. That was the reason why I gave him me diff. Looks like that it was a big mistake. I will give it to someone who has real knowledge about diff installation. And my friend can pay the bill. I hope it gives a happyend
Old 05-19-2007, 12:21 PM
Inactive User

Good news from my Differrential
After I talked with a other guy who said that he knows how to install a ring and pinion right. I realized by the talk that he has never looked inside a Manual because he tried to explain that I will need a crush sleeve for my 742 case to decrease the lash in the pinion. ????
I think it was the best idea to go away with my diff.
Afte these two "professionals" , I didn´t trust anyone here in germany (except me.
So I started to disassamble the ring and pinion out of the case. But first I measured the "checking distance" (from centerline of the ring to the top of the pinion).
The distance was 0.06 inch more then the given CD from richmond for my gear.

So I started at zero by the gears and installed and adjusted it step by step with the manual. Now I have a good tooth pattern and the right backlash.
I Installed it yesterday and checked it out on the street.

"No Noise" !!

Works perfect and is very quiet.

So thanks to you all again for your help.

I hope you have a lot of fun this year with your mopars.

hear is a pic of the tooth pattern.

best regards Ja
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P5150320.jpg (51.8 KB, 15 views)
Old 05-19-2007, 02:53 PM
Inactive User

Nice job!!! Feels better doing it yourself, doesn't it?
Old 05-19-2007, 03:40 PM

I hope he got his money back from his friend.
Old 05-19-2007, 09:22 PM
Inactive User

Good job! Maybe I'll send you mine so you can assemble it!

Just one thought: did you remove the sharp edges and smooth the rough faces that were initially damaged? If not, it's not a big deal, but you should consider changing your gear oil after you've put a few more hundred miles on it. Also, you might want to put a very strong "rare earth" type magnet inside you rear-end to attract any metal particles that come off your ring & pinion.
Old 05-21-2007, 11:26 AM
Inactive User

I'm curious did you just re-adjust the gears you had or did you get a new set,looks like you did a fine job, Sundrop
Old 05-21-2007, 05:18 PM
Inactive User

hey thanks for all your approval

I want to call him in the next time and show him the different between the both contact pattern. Hopefully I get a bid money back.

I have reused the ring and pinion. I hope that it won´t make any problems in the next time.

Thanks for all your Help.

Greetings Ja